PDA

View Full Version : Am I dreaming or what?

StephenL
25th July 2012, 07:55 AM
I'm sure I've seen a setting, which I had applied on my very own camera, whereby, when using legacy lenses, you could magnify the view for manual focus, then half-press the shutter to initiate IS and the view DIDN'T go back to normal magnification. Which is useful for checking critical focus on longer legacy lenses.

I thought it was Option C, Half Way Rls With IS, but set either way makes no difference. The magnified view still returns to normal when shutter release half-pressed. Am I missing something obvious?

Chevvyf1
25th July 2012, 08:25 AM
now this could be interesting ... hoping you find it ... *chr

StephenL
25th July 2012, 09:56 AM
Well, I think I might have got it sort-of sussed.

It requires more than a degree of digital dexterity, but first of all you have to have the aforementioned setting to ON.

Then, and here comes the tricky bit, you first of all half-press the shutter and hold it down. THEN, you press the Magnify button down the required number of times to go into magnified view. You can then adjust focus whilst the view is both magnified and stabilised.

I've found that it's best to assign Magnify to Fn2 and operate this button with my left hand whist half-pressing the shutter with the right.

If Magnify is set to Fn1, I find it impossible to half-press the shutter with my index finger AND press the Fn1 with my thumb, which you'd think would be logical, at the same time without inadvertently releasing the shutter.

EDIT As a footnote to this, I've now found that once you've initiated stabilised magnified view, you can release ALL buttons and still maintain that view. A second half-press on the shutter returns the view to normal.

dko22
25th July 2012, 10:38 AM
no idea what settings you've got Stephen! If i put on a legacy lens, I simply press F2 twice to first show and then magnify the focus point and then when the shutter is half pressed, the magnification remains in place with the stabilised image. I suspect you changed something as it seemed to work the same way as for me before?

With legacy lenses, unlike m43 system lenses, it doesn't seem to matter whether MF focus assist is on or off --however, I do find that with the MF assist on using m43 lenses, the minute you stop turning the focus wheel, it more or less immediately reverts to normal size which can mean you're not sure if you've nailed focus so I prefer to have this off unless in a hurry and just use F2. For quick and dirty when normal AF has no idea what you're trying to focus on, the assist can be useful though.

David

StephenL
25th July 2012, 10:44 AM
no idea what settings you've got Stephen! If i put on a legacy lens, I simply press F2 twice to first show and then magnify the focus point and then when the shutter is half pressed, the magnification remains in place with the stabilised image. I suspect you changed something as it seemed to work the same way as for me before?

David

That's what I thought mine did before. I've obviously changed some setting which has affected that. Don't know what, though!

dko22
25th July 2012, 11:12 AM
If I get any ideas, I'll let you know. I have a feeling I've seen this before as well but am certainly not getting it at the moment

tomphotofx
25th July 2012, 11:19 AM
Just a thought, but have you updated the firmware recently?

Tom

StephenL
25th July 2012, 11:28 AM
Just a thought, but have you updated the firmware recently?

Tom
Well, I updated when 1.2 came out. I don't think I've tried this MF on legacy since, so it could be a pointer.

bredman
25th July 2012, 01:52 PM

David

It has always been this way for me. Unfortunately i have no idea why, and i hope i don't accidentally change it.

StephenL
25th July 2012, 02:06 PM
I've been through every setting - twice - and short of doing a complete reset, which I've no intention of doing as it's no big deal for me, I can't for the life of me see what's changed.

snaarman
25th July 2012, 02:22 PM
I've been through every setting - twice - and short of doing a complete reset, which I've no intention of doing as it's no big deal for me, I can't for the life of me see what's changed.

I tried this at lunchtime. I couldn't get IS on and magnify at the same time without pressing two buttons at the same time. Even then I'm not certain I made it work.

Trouble is, you also want to de-magnify just before you take the picture so you can see the whole scene

StephenL
25th July 2012, 02:33 PM
With the method I've resigned myself to using, a quick half-re-press of the shutter button sends it back to normal view.

It would be good if, in time, Olympus engineers could sit down with a photographer, go through each setting, and make it easier to assign/explain/work and issue a firmware update to make it so.

davidfarquhar
25th July 2012, 09:47 PM
Stephen - I think its two settings:
1) LV Close Up Mode (Menu D) - Mode 2, retain zoom and also
2) Half Way RIS with IS (Menu C) - On

The first one keeps you zoomed in when you press the shutter button halfway down. The second enables IS when the shutter butter is halfway down.

With these enabled press the FN1 or 2 button to zoom in, then half press shutter to enable IS and stay zoomed in

Good luck!

StephenL
26th July 2012, 07:44 AM

The first one keeps you zoomed in when you press the shutter button halfway down. The second enables IS when the shutter butter is halfway down.

With these enabled press the FN1 or 2 button to zoom in, then half press shutter to enable IS and stay zoomed in

Good luck!

I think you've nailed it Dave. I had the second setting but the first had got changed to Mode 1.

*chr *chr

snaarman
26th July 2012, 09:35 AM
Yes. I think that sorts it out.

This camera is so configurable, I have managed to fill all four preset memories with different settings, and this is in one of them now. Quite a departure for me, I've previously ignored the My Preset feature.

Now I just need to remember what each one does. (Shame you can't "name" each preset)

Pete

Bikie John
17th August 2012, 07:41 PM
I was trying to do this, and couldn't get it to work. Until I remembered this thread - http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20219

Basically you have to be careful how you press the assigned button. As described in the other thread, it needs a quick jab to switch it into magnify mode. Once there further quick jabs will toggle between the magnified and full-frame views. A longer press returns it to normal mode. It works fine using the EVF, and also with the live histogram displayed.

With the setting listed above it works fine when needed and doesn't interfere with "normal" shooting so unless you want to assign the button to something else I see no reason not to leave it switched on all the time.

Thanks to everybody for figuring this out and sharing the solution. I wouldn't have got there in a month of Sundays and the manual is not very forthcoming. Viva el forum!

Ciao ... John

CRANSTALL
17th August 2012, 09:11 PM
thanks for that i am so glad there are others out their that can get their setting wrong and not just me! makes me feel not such an idiot for haveing to keep asking for help and its definitely been a big help to me :)

Ross the fiddler
18th August 2012, 01:40 PM

Good luck!

It's probably harder to find because it's on the 2nd page of [Menu D]. I went past it while I was trying to find it now, but that is how I have mine set up.