View Full Version : Tempted...

24th July 2012, 11:12 PM
A local retailer are advertising "never used" E5 at a quite attractive price tag of SEK 9999 (that's about 925). It might be that they are phasing out the remaining stocks of 4/3 units. (It's a serious retailer).

I am tempted. My E620 and E600 both need a repair to solve the display issues I have been discussing in other thread, and I am reluctant to spend 250 for each body I want to have fixed. Better spend good money on a good camera... Before making up my mind on the E5: I'm quite certain the E5 is an excellent camera, my question is about timing. Do you think it is wise purchase - should I wait until Photokina and see what happens, if Olympus will announce an E7?

And please do not suggest me to by a 4/3 body...


David M
24th July 2012, 11:24 PM
I was all set to get an E-5 when the EM-5 was announced. Now I'm waiting for an E-7 with the EM-5 sensor.

Stewart G
25th July 2012, 03:46 AM
You know the saying: "A bird in the hand...."
An E-5 at a good price makes more sense than waiting for an E-7 that may never happen. And if an E-7 does appear, you'll always be able to sell the E-5 to people like me who'd rather buy something used than something new. (Since I can't currently afford an E-5, I'm working my way backwards through Olympus' line up: e-620, e-1, e-500, etc. The used prices are invigorating.)

25th July 2012, 06:06 AM
I tend to agree... if you always wait for the next releease / upgrage / version - you will not get to use a better camera than the one you have. As long as the one you want is better and you can justify it in terms of cost and results, then I'd say if you have the chance of a good deal, go for it.

I did, and I don't regret it at all - despite the EM-5 being an awesome camera it doesn't make the E-5 any less decent than it is. :)

25th July 2012, 08:31 AM
On balance, I think the E-5 should be a good purchase for you Tord. Your cameras are giving you problems, so there is a good reason to upgrade rather than just 'itchy fingers'. The price for the E-5 sounds very good, whereas if the E-7 does appear it will be at full price for some time and will probably cost a lot more than the E-5.

If you want to see the results which are obtainable from the E-5 used with a Bigma, take a look at Amadoux's Gallery on Birdforum, if you haven't already done so.


David Morison
25th July 2012, 08:59 AM
Hi Tord,

If you don't want to go down the MFT road then the E5 will be perfect for your needs. Mine has been the mainstay of my kit ever since I got it and it certainly covers most eventualities. Although the sensor has the same MP as the E30 the lower noise characteristics make it a much more usable camera and when large crops are necessary it excels. Add the ruggedness and weatherproofing and it is IMO without equal. GO FOR IT!!



25th July 2012, 09:52 AM
Given the sort of work you do in the togging field I'm sure at the back of your mind the decision has already been made. The e5 will take the elements in it's stride and, as it stands, it ain't old in any sense of the word. Being a Scot and having spent many years in Arabia, I'd be inclined to at least try to haggle on the price... [if they are clearing out then you might just strike lucky] and, remember, if you don't ask, you won't get.

25th July 2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks all for your engagement in this matter, highly appreciated.

I called the shop early this morning just to learn that the camera was sold (yesterday!). It was a unit on display, last in stock, supposedly with no shutter actuations. Not sure if it qualifies for "new" but anyway... The good side of this is that I actually made a decision and I will keep my eyes open on E5 opportunities from now on.