PDA

View Full Version : Focal length incorrect in exif

ScubaRoy
24th June 2008, 09:22 PM
I have taken some shots tonight with my E-520 & 12-60 SWD. I knew that I was at 60mm for most of them but the exif is reporting it as 48mm.

I have take some test shots and looked at the info on the playback display in camera and the same problem is showing there so it would suggest that the problem isn't in the jpg file being read properly.

After some experimentation it looks like the lense is reporting the correct focal length up to about 50mm. After that it reports 52mm upto about 55mm, 51@56, 49@58 & 48@60mm (rough guess at the actual length from the zoom ring markings).

Is this just a quirk of the lens?

I have also looked back at some shots I took with my e-410 and this lens and, although I cannot be certain, it looks as a though it is reporting wrong with the e-410 also (I cannot believe that I would have taken 4 diffferent pictures of three different subjects all at 48mm).

Any ideas??

Thanks

Roy

Ian
26th June 2008, 07:42 AM
I have taken some shots tonight with my E-520 & 12-60 SWD. I knew that I was at 60mm for most of them but the exif is reporting it as 48mm.

I have take some test shots and looked at the info on the playback display in camera and the same problem is showing there so it would suggest that the problem isn't in the jpg file being read properly.

After some experimentation it looks like the lense is reporting the correct focal length up to about 50mm. After that it reports 52mm upto about 55mm, 51@56, 49@58 & 48@60mm (rough guess at the actual length from the zoom ring markings).

Is this just a quirk of the lens?

I have also looked back at some shots I took with my e-410 and this lens and, although I cannot be certain, it looks as a though it is reporting wrong with the e-410 also (I cannot believe that I would have taken 4 diffferent pictures of three different subjects all at 48mm).

Any ideas??

Thanks

Roy

It does sound like it's a faulty lens. Is it on the latest firmware? If the focal length is being mis-reported by the lens, it could cause problems with image stabilisation too.

Ian

ScubaRoy
26th June 2008, 08:11 PM
It does sound like it's a faulty lens. Is it on the latest firmware? If the focal length is being mis-reported by the lens, it could cause problems with image stabilisation too.

Ian

It does have the latest firmware and I was afraid that it would be something that needs it to be sent back to Oly.

Thanks for info Ian.

Roy