PDA

View Full Version : Orange Lilly

ScubaRoy
24th June 2008, 09:06 PM
My first time posting looking for a critique. Please be gentle with me :o

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/596/lillyfull.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6359)

Roy

Malcolm Cousins
24th June 2008, 10:16 PM
Very nice Roy. For your first posting. Very impressive.:)

Zuiko
24th June 2008, 10:17 PM
Don't worry Roy, I can find little to critisize but plenty to praise in this image.
Bold composition, point of focus perfectly placed, striking well saturated colours give plenty of impact.

Nice one!

Fluffy
24th June 2008, 10:22 PM
That's a wonderful photo. Taken with the 40-150? It looks like a macro shot. I love the color. It is very vibrant and real. The other photos in your gallery also are great.

Bur these are not underwater shots are they?:rolleyes:

Chrs, Stv

ScubaRoy
24th June 2008, 10:59 PM
That's a wonderful photo. Taken with the 40-150? It looks like a macro shot. I love the color. It is very vibrant and real. The other photos in your gallery also are great.

Bur these are not underwater shots are they?:rolleyes:

Chrs, Stv

Hi Steve

Thanks for the posative comments *chr

It was taken with the 12-60 SWD @ 60mm. The exif of 48mm wrong - see my post in the lens section.

Top marks on observation ;) I haven't bitten the bullet and splashed out on the UW housing yet for the SLR and all my UW pics are from a P&S so I haven't posted any on here. Hopefully I shall be taking the oly underwater in October so watch this space!

Roy

ScubaRoy
24th June 2008, 11:07 PM
Don't worry Roy, I can find little to critisize but plenty to praise in this image.
Bold composition, point of focus perfectly placed, striking well saturated colours give plenty of impact.

Nice one!

Thanks *chr

I wouldn't have posted in this section if I was worried about adverse comments. I am hyper critical with myself but am always looking for ways to improve my pictures. What better way to find out where things could be improved than by asking for criticism *yes

Roy

ScubaRoy
24th June 2008, 11:09 PM
Very nice Roy. For your first posting. Very impressive.:)

Thanks Malcolm *chr

It's not my first image posted on this site but it is the first time I have ventured to ask for a critique.

Roy

Graham_of_Rainham
24th June 2008, 11:45 PM
You will often hear judges say things like:

"Have only one flower" or "have three flowers" (always an odd number)

"The flower must be a perfect example"

"All in focus" or "only the subject flower in focus"

"Focus must be sharp from front to back"

For all that is said by judges, the one thing that I tend to stick to with flowers is to remove any distractions that lurk in the background. In this image, I'd have removed the stamen from the other blooms (unless they were not yours of course)

Other than that I like this image. *chr

Graham

ScubaRoy
24th June 2008, 11:56 PM
You will often hear judges say things like:

"Have only one flower" or "have three flowers" (always an odd number)

"The flower must be a perfect example"

"All in focus" or "only the subject flower in focus"

"Focus must be sharp from front to back"

For all that is said by judges, the one thing that I tend to stick to with flowers is to remove any distractions that lurk in the background. In this image, I'd have removed the stamen from the other blooms (unless they were not yours of course)

Other than that I like this image. *chr

Graham

Thanks Graham *chr

The "one flower or three flowers" echoes the similar rule for planting so would make sense.

I could have removed the other stamens had I thought about it but SWMBO would have been very unhappy :D I shall have a try removing them in PSE and see how it effects the picture.

Cheers

Roy

Scapula Memory
25th June 2008, 12:04 AM
I like it a lot, a lovely almost vivid splash of orange but not OTT with the colour. Agree about the stamens but nevertheless still a fine shot in it`s own right. Well done.

Nick Temple-Fry
25th June 2008, 12:08 AM
I notice the lens was at F10, I've never used this lens for these purposes and wonder how it would have coped with a little less dof, always a difficult choice to make trying an essentially macro shot with a long zoom.

I like the image - big bold colour, nicely sharp details. Nothing to criticise and a lot to envy.

But (there always has to be one) I wonder if in framing the shot you could have made it even better. There is a nice potential diagonal between between the stamens of the near and further plant - but it goes nowhere. Similarly there is the option to use the petals and the corners of the image to control the shape - again I can't see how that has been used.

Don't get me wrong - I think it is a great shot. I just wonder if it could have been even greater.

In envy

Nick

Zuiko
25th June 2008, 12:46 AM
Hi Steve

Thanks for the posative comments *chr

It was taken with the 12-60 SWD @ 60mm. The exif of 48mm wrong - see my post in the lens section.

Top marks on observation ;) I haven't bitten the bullet and splashed out on the UW housing yet for the SLR and all my UW pics are from a P&S so I haven't posted any on here. Hopefully I shall be taking the oly underwater in October so watch this space!

Roy

We've nothing against P & S, especialy as we don't get many underwater shots here. Post away if you wish, Roy, I'm sure we'd all love to see!

Garrie
25th June 2008, 01:38 AM
SUPERB - So bold and sharp love it :D

gno
25th June 2008, 11:23 AM
I could have removed the other stamens had I thought about it but SWMBO would have been very unhappy :D I shall have a try removing them in PSE and see how it effects the picture.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/dayLilly.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6368)

Hope you don't mind Roy had a quick go in PS, not sure if its an improvement on a really nice shot to start with.

Regards

Gavin

ScubaRoy
25th June 2008, 08:55 PM
Hope you don't mind Roy had a quick go in PS, not sure if its an improvement on a really nice shot to start with.

Regards

Gavin

Hi Gavin

I did exactly the same thing and I'm not sure if it improves things or not. Maybe if I hadn't seen the original I wouldn't get the "something's missing" feeling with the stamens removed.

Big thanks to Hugh for suggesting it in the first place though.

The lillys will be in flower for a while yet so I will probably have another try and see if I can put everybody's feedback into practice.

Cheers *chr

Roy

ScubaRoy
25th June 2008, 09:05 PM
But (there always has to be one) I wonder if in framing the shot you could have made it even better. There is a nice potential diagonal between between the stamens of the near and further plant - but it goes nowhere. Similarly there is the option to use the petals and the corners of the image to control the shape - again I can't see how that has been used.

Hi Nick

This is great feedback :)

No matter how much you read about composition and diagaonals it isn't until someone actually points out how one of your own shots could be improved do you really start to understand. Whether I can put the understanding into practice is another thing altogether :D

As to using the 12-60 as a macro lens...I don't have a dedicated macro yet so am trying to use the best quality lens I have at the moment.

I'm still on that massive learning curve - long may I continue to climb.

Thanks

Roy

Zuiko
25th June 2008, 10:10 PM
The stamens are definitely needed. They help deliniate the individual blooms and stop them merging into one. I don't find them distracting at all but without them the image looks incomplete, probably because my brain tells me they should be there. Keep 'em!