PDA

View Full Version : 70-300 & ec14

son of sid
20th July 2012, 12:16 PM
Hi,

trying to establish whether this is a feasible combination. Does anyone have any experience using these two together? I'm particularly interested in whether AF still works as well as the effect on picture quality generally.

thanks
Sid

Ross the fiddler
20th July 2012, 02:23 PM
Yes it works, but it isn't that ideal. I have found I get better images by cropping a bit more instead. I have recently taken some (handheld) shots of the moon with this combination on the E-M5 & the photos without the EC14 were better. See this thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=175294#post175294) for examples. Other bird shots on my E30 weren't that good either (with the EC14).

crimbo
20th July 2012, 06:09 PM
Perfectly usable... yes focus hunting does occur but a bit of manual focus and then auto focus works okay ... depends on what you want to use it for

son of sid
21st July 2012, 03:48 PM
Ross, Chris,

thanks for the info, very useful.

Ross - did you find cropping on the E-520 gave good results or was it on the E30? I ask as I use it on an E-510.

Chris - I want to use it to get a bit more range at the long telephoto end for some of the static photography I'd like to try - mainly wildlife. It would all be tripod mounted stuff.

Basically I'm just trying to increase the usefulness of a lens I like a lot on the cheap :)

Sid

crimbo
21st July 2012, 04:15 PM
Sid, I use the combo hand held on an E 620 for birds feeding in good light and got an acceptable hit rate... bit of practice and you should be happy with the results

Ross the fiddler
22nd July 2012, 02:18 AM
Ross, Chris,

thanks for the info, very useful.

Ross - did you find cropping on the E-520 gave good results or was it on the E30? I ask as I use it on an E-510.

Chris - I want to use it to get a bit more range at the long telephoto end for some of the static photography I'd like to try - mainly wildlife. It would all be tripod mounted stuff.

Basically I'm just trying to increase the usefulness of a lens I like a lot on the cheap :)

Sid

You can crop OK on the E520 (up to a point), but with the 70-300 lens, the lighting & shutter speed are the most important. If the shutter speed is not fast enough within a good ISO range (up to ISO 400 for the E520 as higher becomes less clean), then extra lighting is needed & usually with a good flash. The FL50(R) is good for outdoors in daylight with TTL or FP TTL & with an after market extender, the flash can work OK with the 70-300 lens too (I still have not got that extender).

Here is a close up & crop (with careful sharpening) with the E520 & 70-300 & flash (FL50).

2397 2396