PDA

View Full Version : Don't update to E-M5 1.2 firmware for now.

Ian
14th July 2012, 10:05 PM
Because of some reports of problems after updating to v.1.2 firmware for the Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus is advising that if you haven't yet updated, hang on until further notice.

Ian

David Morison
14th July 2012, 10:29 PM
I have already but I won't PANIC YET!!!

David

Ian
14th July 2012, 10:41 PM
I have seen one post where someone says their camera stopped working after the update, so it may be related to that. But if your camera was OK, then hopefully you are safe.

Ian

brian1208
14th July 2012, 10:41 PM
any idea what the problems may be - I've just updated mine and they tell me there us no way back! :(

(It all went very smoothly despite being my first "Olympic Upgrade")
just seen your last post Ian, thanks

Ross the fiddler
15th July 2012, 04:19 AM
Thanks Ian. I thought I would wait till after this weekend & be able to take it into Oly service if I needed to you (if it might have been unsuccessful). I shall wait & see what happens from here.

jamsa
15th July 2012, 06:49 AM
I completed the update but now worry lots as to problems that I dont yet know about . Highly poor show if they dont email their registered buyers of the camera..why cant they email us to say when updates are available or when there is a problem?

DekHog
15th July 2012, 08:57 AM
Four people over on mu43 with bricked OM-D's now due to the update.... :eek:

Greytop
15th July 2012, 09:49 AM
Really...? b***er!
I updated mine yesterday without any problems and it seems to be fine.
What happens if your pride and joy ends up 'bricked'?

Edit: Having quickly read through the thread on mu43 it appears the problems occurred because the update failed while in process.

OlyPaul
15th July 2012, 10:08 AM
Really...? b***er!

Edit: Having quickly read through the thread on mu43 it appears the problems occurred because the update failed while in process.

Yea I really hate Olympus for there way of updating just for that reason and always do it with some trepidation.

What wrong with downloading the update then copying it to a SD card and doing it from there as other Brands do?

Greytop
15th July 2012, 10:23 AM
Yea I really hate Olympus for there way of updating just for that reason and always do it with some trepidation.

What wrong with downloading the update then copying it to a SD card and doing it from there as other Brands do?

A very good point Paul, it would make a whole lot of sense to take away a large percentage of the risk.

Ross the fiddler
15th July 2012, 10:28 AM
Four people over on mu43 with bricked OM-D's now due to the update.... :eek:

Really...? b***er!

That's what I thought was the issue. It is a risk if everything is not done correctly with reliable connection & power, but once it is in I don't think there is a problem. It isn't an update I need (as far as I know), so I'll wait for the 'all clear' from Oly before I do, although I'm only one hours drive away from Oly Service here should I need it.

Ian
15th July 2012, 10:36 AM
I am absolutely sure that Olympus would ensure that affected people were helped accordingly.

It doesn't look like anyone here has had a problem so that's positive.

Ian

Ian
15th July 2012, 10:39 AM
I completed the update but now worry lots as to problems that I dont yet know about . Highly poor show if they dont email their registered buyers of the camera..why cant they email us to say when updates are available or when there is a problem?

Olympus has operated the same firmware update system for 9 years and it has worked fine in that time. There is obviously a limited issue with the current update which a small number of people are experiencing.

Not everyone has registered their cameras and even those that have over the years may have changed their email addresses or are no longer owners of the registered cameras so emailing is not a reliable communication tool in this respect.

The best thing is to keep an eye out for news on sites like ours here.

Ian

snaarman
15th July 2012, 11:00 AM
There's a big difference between a download update that fails in progress and an update that suceeds but contains a camera bricking bug. (:eek:)

If it is the former, then I can imagine you might get problems with all the new E-M5 owners trying to download from the server at the same time. This might make something in the (long drawn out and potentially flaky) process go wrong. I've updated all my Olys using this method for a few years and not had a problem, but it takes so long and seems inactive a lot of the time, so you could easily think it has failed and unplug something.

Is it the latter? No, I hope not and until I hear otherwise I am going to declare it a storm in a teacup

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/622/EM551496.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/49175)

Mmm. speaking of which: Time for a nice cup of tea.

JonSchick
15th July 2012, 11:06 AM
Did the upgrade yesterday and all seems fine. Slow process but hopefully not one that will be needed terribly often.

steverh
15th July 2012, 11:40 AM
I updated a few days ago and it seems to be fine.

The one thing I was interested in was "improved sleep recovery operation".

I found the camera was reluctant to recover from sleep mode, sometimes requiring switching off and on again. That seems to be much better after the update.

Bikie John
15th July 2012, 11:41 AM
Olympus has operated the same firmware update system for 9 years and it has worked fine in that time.

That is a bit wide of the mark, Ian. It may have "worked fine", but every time the topic comes up loads of us say how we dislike it. I can understand that Oly may have reasons for not doing it via the memory card, but the process as it stands still makes me very nervous.

If Oly insist on having the camera online to transfer the update directly, PLEASE can you break the process down a bit? For example, give us a progress bar and a safe cancel option while the data is being transferred, then a prompt on the camera to say "OK, I got the stuff, do you want me to update now?".

Thanks for the warning, I'll hold off for now.

Ciao ... John

Ulfric M Douglas
15th July 2012, 12:06 PM
Four people over on mu43 with bricked OM-D's now due to the update...
There is a possibility that servers for us Brits got a healthy update and more of the yanks got a dodgy one?
(Or they're a LOT thicker over there and unplugged during the process...:o )

ayewing
15th July 2012, 12:17 PM
Now they tell us!

I updated two days ago. Fortunately all went well and the camera seems to be behaving normally. Next time I will go on the principle that "if it ain't bust don't fix it".

As a new Olympus user I was a little surprised as my experience with other brands (Pentax and Leica) has always been to download the update then copy to a SDHC card which does separate the risks of a disrupted connection from the actual update process.

I suppose this means that there will be a revised update coming soon.

Archie

Ian
15th July 2012, 12:23 PM
I concede that for some it may be a nerve-jangling procedure but software/firmware updating of hardware in this manner is perfectly routine for phones, computers and a variety of other devices. As long as you follow the instructions there should be no problems under normal circumstances. The riskiest part is the flashing process and this only happens after the firmware has been downloaded so an interrupted Internet connection won't cause a problem. The primary danger is that the camera will power-off while the flash programming is underway. This would be caused by a battery dying at the critical point, but unless your battery is knackered as long as you have charged up your battery in advance, which is advised, that won't happen. I don't know what has happened with the v.1.2 update but it seems that problems may have happened regardless of the method of delivery.

I am speaking from experience - with dozens of lenses and camera bodies in our hire stock plus many more lenses and bodies that have passed through my hands over the years I have not had a single mis-hap.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
15th July 2012, 12:40 PM
I remember updating my ZD40-150 lens on the E410 a few years ago & I was silly enough to disrupt it right near the end (my first update), including trying to turn off the camera, but thankfully it outsmarted me & it stayed powered up to finish the process with a successful outcome. I have been extra careful to follow the instructions since & with a fully charged battery, although I was a little overconfident & trusted the charge in my twin batteries in the E30 grip for the latest update on the 70-300 lens this year (as well as doing it from my home wireless connection).

Zuiko
15th July 2012, 01:23 PM

Next time there is a "Wish List" for Olympus I think we should put this right at the top!

CJJE
15th July 2012, 01:37 PM
My Olympus update went fine (once I'd clicked OK on the camera to get it going!) but they do warn you to use a wired internet connection rather than a wireless connection, and to have a charged battery or AC supply.

I take people's point that downloading to a SD card, and confirming the correct checksum before inserting in the camera would avoid the possibility of a corrupt download bricking the camera. But Panasonic had to withdraw one of their updates last year even when they do it this way, so nothing's perfect.

Over the years I've updated Canons and Panasonics without problems, and my only complaint is that the updates stop coming once a camera has been replaced with a new model.

ayewing
15th July 2012, 01:39 PM
I concede that for some it may be a nerve-jangling procedure but software/firmware updating of hardware in this manner is perfectly routine for phones, computers and a variety of other devices. As long as you follow the instructions there should be no problems under normal circumstances. The riskiest part is the flashing process and this only happens after the firmware has been downloaded so an interrupted Internet connection won't cause a problem. The primary danger is that the camera will power-off while the flash programming is underway. This would be caused by a battery dying at the critical point, but unless your battery is knackered as long as you have charged up your battery in advance, which is advised, that won't happen. I don't know what has happened with the v.1.2 update but it seems that problems may have happened regardless of the method of delivery.

I am speaking from experience - with dozens of lenses and camera bodies in our hire stock plus many more lenses and bodies that have passed through my hands over the years I have not had a single mis-hap.

Ian

Thanks Ian, very reassuring. In fairness I have updated the firmware in a variety of cameras over the years without problems. The different method adopted by Olympus probably pushed up my anxiety levels due to its unfamiliarity.

Archie

StephenL
15th July 2012, 02:48 PM
I presume that one reason Olympus use the system they do is to avoid the issue that Panasonic certainly faces, and that's that of people "hacking" the firmware file to add different features to the camera.

But I agree that a progress bar or similar would make the process more reassuring.

Just to add that mine updated just fine, and I've never had problems with this system.

Wally
15th July 2012, 03:13 PM
Like Ian, over the years I've updated firmware on quite a few 'Olympus' models + lens etc., e-20 onwards and upwards and all without problems of any kind. I ALWAYS make sure I have the power sourced from the mains rather than assume the battery is OK... even if showing fully charged.

Having said all that, and as has been mentioned, I'm sure there are some simple tweaks to the software that would make it more transparent about what goes on during the update process?

GRAHAMJ
15th July 2012, 04:03 PM
I have done this over the years with no problems as well. The OMD was updated and it took a while for the download but the last part on the camera was very quick.

Graham

Ian
15th July 2012, 04:39 PM
A progress bar would be nice to have. But there is no way the process would not do file validation before commencing the flashing process, so the advice regarding wireless connection is a bit superfluous. Phones can download their updates over mobile data which is slower and much more interrupted than wireless LAN most of the time. I think there is just as much work involved in copying a file to an SD card and then removing and inserting into he camera as following the normal Olympus procedure. It's certainly not less risky as all the normal risk factors are battery-related.

Ian

Bikie John
15th July 2012, 06:18 PM
Ian - the problem has nothing to do with the difficulty of doing it - it is a pretty simple procedure, as is downloading and transferring via an SD card. The problem is that we know that it is a critical process and if we interrupt it at the wrong time we may end up bricking the camera. Sometimes it can take a long time if your connection is a bit flaky or there is a lot of demand on Oly's servers. We have no indication of what is going on, so once started we have to let it run to completion even though we no feedback to tell us where it's got to.

Different steps in the process have different dependencies, and it would be a lot more helpful to isolate them so that we can safely take one step at a time. Of course no procedure can guarantee that we won't be tripped up by a duff battery (or a power cut if we're using the AC adapter) or monumental user stupidity, but I'm sure the whole process could be a lot more transparent and therefore manageable. I have been updating since getting an E-1 in 2004 - and any time it seems to be taking a while I am "bricking it" in a rather different sense!

Ciao ... John

nad
15th July 2012, 07:10 PM
'allo 'allo

My update - last night - also went fine. And the OM-D works better than ever. The switch from LCD til EVF, when I put it to the eye, is MUCH faster!!!

niels

Paul19
16th July 2012, 05:02 AM
Have updated mine and took the oportunity to update the 9-18 lens at the same time - all OK.
Snaarman's declaration nailed it!

bredman
16th July 2012, 06:03 AM
I'm certainly relieved everything is working out ok after i started that thread. For me everything went fine and still is -- i have noticed one change that is a little odd, before the update and after taking a shot the 2 second shot review was simply the image for 2 seconds, whereas now it shows the image upper left, with the four little histograms beneath and the image info on the right. I have no idea why this has changed as i have altered nothing.

StephenL
16th July 2012, 06:37 AM
I'm certainly relieved everything is working out ok after i started that thread. For me everything went fine and still is -- i have noticed one change that is a little odd, before the update and after taking a shot the 2 second shot review was simply the image for 2 seconds, whereas now it shows the image upper left, with the four little histograms beneath and the image info on the right. I have no idea why this has changed as i have altered nothing.
You can change that simply by pressing the "info" button during the review.

bredman
16th July 2012, 07:20 AM
You can change that simply by pressing the "info" button during the review.

Sounds about right. :rolleyes: :B)

edit: oh yeah, now changed back to how i like it. You change that in playback, i must have done that unknowingly.

swing
16th July 2012, 11:26 AM
I have to say there was one point in the process that confused me; when the display on the camera (finally!) puts up the "don't unplug / turn off" screen, the words on the computer screen say (paraphrasing) "the next step will update the firmware, once this step starts don't press Next until "Ok" appears on the camera screen".

Now, I couldn't work out from the text whether I had to press Next to start this "next step", or whether it had already started, and I shouldn't press Next until "Ok" appeared on the camera. In the end sitting there thinking about it, and not sure what to do resulted in the camera actually performing the update and displaying "Ok", so I then continued, but because it had said "the next step" made me convinced I needed to press Next before it would start the update; I've no idea if this is what's causing the problem of bricked cameras, but I could understand (for those of us who are performing their first ever Olympus firmware update) how it was confusing and could go wrong (whereas maybe many people here are experienced and know what to expect, so know to leave well alone at that point in the process...)

I agree that an SD card method would seem to be even better, but as long as the current process performs sufficient error checking before starting the download there shouldn't be any major problems surely (I do remember a non-camera firmware update process where the download servers were getting overloaded with lots of new users, and the updater didn't actually check whether the download had failed part way through or actually finished; that bricked a fair few devices until the manufacturer updated their updater application!).

drmarkf
17th July 2012, 02:07 PM
My update - last night - also went fine. And the OM-D works better than ever. The switch from LCD til EVF, when I put it to the eye, is MUCH faster!!!

That's really good news - before I read this I was toying with the idea of setting EVF-only for street photography because I always seemed to be waiting for the switch at critical moments, but now I'll wait to see how it performs after I update.

snaarman
17th July 2012, 02:12 PM
I have to say there was one point in the process that confused me; ..... the words on the computer screen say (paraphrasing) "the next step will update the firmware, once this step starts don't press Next until "Ok" appears on the camera screen".

You're not alone. I puzzled over this as well. It was only the puzzling that stopped my clicking "Next" straight away :eek:

Pete

StephenL
17th July 2012, 02:17 PM
If you read the screen, right down to the bottom, it DOES say ....

But it could be phrased better, for the English-speaking amongst us ;)

OM USer
17th July 2012, 05:04 PM
Updated at the end of last week (before this thread started). No problems. Went through fairly quickly I thought. Its the download that seems to take a long time, the actual flashing (or at least the bit after it has said not to touch anything until the OK sign) was vey quick.

I am puzzled by the suggestion to use a mains adaptor though. I thought the only way to do this was to plug the adaptor into the optional grip. Yes, I have the grip (as the freebee) but its an expensive way to run off the mains if you have to buy it. Am I mistaken?

PeterBirder
17th July 2012, 07:12 PM
Updated at the end of last week (before this thread started). No problems. Went through fairly quickly I thought. Its the download that seems to take a long time, the actual flashing (or at least the bit after it has said not to touch anything until the OK sign) was vey quick.

I am puzzled by the suggestion to use a mains adaptor though. I thought the only way to do this was to plug the adaptor into the optional grip. Yes, I have the grip (as the freebee) but its an expensive way to run off the mains if you have to buy it. Am I mistaken?

No, and it's even more expensive if you have to buy the mains adapter at 100.:eek:

jdal
17th July 2012, 07:21 PM
I updated to 1.2, and it all looked ok but today the USB connectivity failed - device not recognised. A reset of the camera fixed the problem. I can't tell if it was caused by the update.

DekHog
20th July 2012, 02:51 PM
Any more information on this, Ian, should we still refrain from updating, or just do it and be very careful? Not really a nice way to work is this; very nerve racking!!

Ross the fiddler
26th July 2012, 02:57 AM
Any more information on this, Ian, should we still refrain from updating, or just do it and be very careful? Not really a nice way to work is this; very nerve racking!!

Ian, any more info or do we just do things correctly & all will be fine? :confused:

StephenL
26th July 2012, 04:54 PM
I've now been running on this version since it was announced with no problems. I've not seen any great fuss made on other forums, either. But it would be nice to get official clearance for those of you who are waiting to update.

DekHog
26th July 2012, 06:16 PM
At least if it's a brick it's a warranty job..... :rolleyes:

drmarkf
26th July 2012, 08:01 PM
I'm going to go for it, since I want to sort out the focus magnification details according to the other thread.

Just fully charging a battery...

bredman
26th July 2012, 09:33 PM
On the main blog sites there's not even any mention of any issues. Looks like the reported problems were more likely user error, by just a few individuals.

drmarkf
26th July 2012, 10:14 PM
My update has gone fine :)

On first testing, though, EVF switching doesn't seem much if any faster: I'll give it a good try outdoors tomorrow.

David Morison
27th July 2012, 05:54 AM
My update has gone fine :)

On first testing, though, EVF switching doesn't seem much if any faster: I'll give it a good try outdoors tomorrow.

On mine the EVF auto-switching is definitely faster. This partially removes one of my dislikes for the EVF for wildlife photography - now you see it, now you don't!

David

Ross the fiddler
27th July 2012, 12:32 PM
I noticed that Oly Japan now have the following under the update listing (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/), "The update service to Ver. 1.2 was temporarily discontinued. The update service to Ver. 1.1 is available."

I will just wait to do the update untill it is given the 'OK' (I probably don't have a choice now anyhow).

StephenL
27th July 2012, 03:16 PM
Funny how that well-known "other forum" isn't up to high doh about problems with version 1.2.

Must be an obscure issue that the engineers have discovered when post-implementation testing which hasn't actually manifested itself in the wild.

Obviously Ian got the heads-up about it before anyone else.

drmarkf
31st July 2012, 06:40 PM
On mine the EVF auto-switching is definitely faster. This partially removes one of my dislikes for the EVF for wildlife photography - now you see it, now you don't!

David

Yes, I agree now I've used it more widely.

I didn't notice much difference in a fairly dim study straight after I'd updated, but over the weekend we went for a walk with friends and it seemed better in bright sunlight. Maybe that was a factor.

I'll now be able to stick with VF switching even for street shooting.

snaarman
22nd August 2012, 04:03 PM
Has anything happened with the v1.2 situation?

I updated to v1.2 and the camera hasn't caught fire yet. Is the update still off line? Anyone got any info...

StephenL
22nd August 2012, 04:57 PM
Ooh you didn't, did you? You'll be condemned to eternal (or is it internal?) damnation!

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd August 2012, 07:16 PM
Has anything happened with the v1.2 situation?

I updated to v1.2 and the camera hasn't caught fire yet. Is the update still off line? Anyone got any info...

Apparently after 3 months all the pictures fade away to nothingness. Olympus didn't include the bit of code necessary to fix the pixels in place, so they just wander off in search of a good time.

Nick

StephenL
22nd August 2012, 07:37 PM
It's them pixel pixies - they're arguing with the fan elves about the update.

snaarman
22nd August 2012, 09:23 PM
That E-M5 noise, what can hear it if you hold it up to your ear: What do you think - a tiny pixies microwave, or have the elves got a fan oven in there..?
Whatever, I wish they would switch it off, it's using my batteries up :-)

Ross the fiddler
23rd August 2012, 02:32 AM
That E-M5 noise, what can hear it if you hold it up to your ear: What do you think - a tiny pixies microwave, or have the elves got a fan oven in there..?
Whatever, I wish they would switch it off, it's using my batteries up :-)

Yeah, that's right. They should just use elastic bands to hold it instead. :rolleyes: Well, it would save yer battery. :p ;)

smartwombat
23rd August 2012, 07:50 PM
On serious point, Ian, is there any news from Olympus when they will re-release the firmware update?
Or perhaps an update to 1.3?

Footloose1949
24th August 2012, 09:22 AM
I can understand Olympus requiring you to have the camera connected up so that it can check what updates are needed, but surely, it would be 'better' if the updates needed were sent to your pc first, so that they can be installed 'Offline', reducing the risk of interruptions caused by a bad internet connection?

jdal
24th August 2012, 09:36 AM
I can understand Olympus requiring you to have the camera connected up so that it can check what updates are needed, but surely, it would be 'better' if the updates needed were sent to your pc first, so that they can be installed 'Offline', reducing the risk of interruptions caused by a bad internet connection?

But do we know they aren't?

How about it is actually done in stages.
1. Check update needed.
2. Download firmware instllation package to a temp file on PC
3. Copy firmware installation package from temp file to camera buffer/memory
4. Initiate update on camera.

Internet fail isn't an issue and neither is computer-camera communications failure. I imagine that's how it's actually done, but to test it you'd need to risk trashing a camera!

This process makes it harder to hack the firmware, I'd imagine.

Nick Temple-Fry
24th August 2012, 09:48 AM

Well - effectively that is what is done.

The update software asks the remote server what the latest version is and asks the camera what version it has. If it finds a later version is available it downloads and does whatever validation it needs to do (presumably a checksum). Then it updates the camera.

So the process of updating the camera is done from the code downloaded to the PC, not code that is being fetched line by line from the server.

It is probably the simplest update process available - it avoids the risk of a bad read/write to a card.

Perhaps it falls down because there are not enough informative messages sent.

Nick

jdal
24th August 2012, 09:52 AM
Nick

Bingo! *chr

Ross the fiddler
24th August 2012, 12:09 PM

Nick

And impatient bods that can't leave it alone to complete the process. :p

Ross the fiddler
29th August 2012, 11:07 AM
I notice that the note for the update has been updated to,

"The update service to ver. 1.2 has been temporarily discontinued. We are planning to resume the update service in early October.
The update service to ver. 1.1 is available." (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/)

StephenL
29th August 2012, 11:12 AM
Will we get another update when the update to the update service is updated?

Ross the fiddler
29th August 2012, 12:17 PM
Will we get another update when the update to the update service is updated?

Yeah, something like that. :rolleyes: :D

drmarkf
29th August 2012, 06:53 PM
Should I keep my version 1.2 because it's going to develop rarity value?

CJJE
30th August 2012, 02:07 PM
Perhaps the update is stuck in the warehouse behind all the missing BLN-1 batteries and lens hoods??

Alpha1
30th August 2012, 04:34 PM
My OM-D E-M5 came with Firmware 1.2 already installed! I guess that someone has confidence in it. :confused:

Everything seems to work well, so no complaints yet.......here's hoping.

CJJE
30th August 2012, 09:09 PM
My OM-D E-M5 came with Firmware 1.2 already installed! I guess that someone has confidence in it. :confused:

Everything seems to work well, so no complaints yet.......here's hoping.

I updated mine without problems, and I haven't heard any suggestions that the update itself is at fault - only that the updating process could have gone wrong for some owners. I'm assuming that Olympus will be making some changes to their updating procedure in October rather than the firmware code itself.

Ross the fiddler
31st August 2012, 12:09 AM
Should I keep my version 1.2 because it's going to develop rarity value?

First of all, you have no choice & it should fine anyhow. I suspect those with problems had issues with the download whether caused by them (the user), internet service or their computer & home network arrangement.

Just relax & enjoy using it.

drmarkf
31st August 2012, 07:07 AM
First of all, you have no choice & it should fine anyhow. I suspect those with problems had issues with the download whether caused by them (the user), internet service or their computer & home network arrangement.

Just relax & enjoy using it.

Thanks for the clarification (but, for the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't being entirely serious :D )

Ross the fiddler
31st August 2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the clarification (but, for the avoidance of doubt, I wasn't being entirely serious :D )

I wasn't being entirely observant either as I had read the whole comment but only one part of it triggered my response. *ohwell It must be something like tunnel vision or selective vision (I'm pretty good at selective hearing being married with 3 daughters. ;)).

Footloose1949
15th September 2012, 11:13 AM
I'm pretty good at selective hearing being married with 3 daughters.....

I thought this was a hereditary/genetic condition which most males suffer from ... I'm told females say that once they find a suitable male, their first task is 'Domesticating' us, followed by decades of 'House-training'?

Ross the fiddler
2nd October 2012, 11:45 AM
The update service to version 1.2, that had been temporarily discontinued, has been resumed as version 1.5. (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/) See this thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23277).

drmarkf
2nd October 2012, 09:47 PM
ooooh!
Since I'm about to take a fully working v1.2 on 3 weeks holiday in California I shan't update until I return - I'll let you guys take all the risks :)

jamsa
2nd October 2012, 11:23 PM
I visited the UK site no mention of 1 anything new still 1.2....as latest version

Ross the fiddler
3rd October 2012, 12:32 AM
ooooh!
Since I'm about to take a fully working v1.2 on 3 weeks holiday in California I shan't update until I return - I'll let you guys take all the risks :)

Chicken! :p I've just done mine & it is now nice to be able to be able to review my photos without the sound of the IBIS when in a quite situation. It doesn't take long & so long as patience, freshly charged battery (I also removed the memory card) & connections are all good, then it all goes well. It goes through it's rotating dots display while downloading to the computer & that takes the longest (it might just reflect the slowness of my internet) & then the 'don't touch' & 'don't disconnet' symbols show on the camera & computer while the camera is being updated (which is fairly quick) finishing with an OK on the camera. After that, relief & pleasure with the results.

David Morison
3rd October 2012, 06:04 AM
I visited the UK site no mention of 1 anything new still 1.2....as latest version

Just connect via Olympus Camera Updater and they are there to update.

David