PDA

View Full Version : OMD-EM5 'in the flesh'

Rawcoll
13th July 2012, 01:04 PM
Yes, I know I must be the last person frequenting this user group to have held an OMD, but I popped into Jessops (Oxford) today an lo and behold they had a demo on the shelf. It feels like a 'proper' camera and I was delighted to find that the dioptre adjustment on the viewfinder is sufficiently wide to accommodate my tired old eyes. *yes Even with glasses on I was able to see the whole of the viewfinder without trouble. As others have reported, a satisfying shutter sound, though lower in frequency than I had expected. Not so keen on the LCD arrangement to be honest, and I think I'd need to use at least a stage 1 grip. The assistant said that there'd be a one month wait if I ordered one.

So my return to Oly is a distinct possibility; just have to wait and see what Photokina brings and whether the 12-60 rumour has any basis.

DekHog
13th July 2012, 01:40 PM
Yup, bring on the 12-60mm and my life will be complete..... until the next great (read: very expensive) thing comes along that I know I really need! :D

Rawcoll
14th July 2012, 09:56 AM
A 12-60 would be great, if it is up to the quality of my 4/3 12-60. But then, the Panny 12-35 is very good too, and hopefully also, the 35-100. In the words of Harry Hill, FIGHT! Oh dear, I fear I shall be in a right ol' dilemma if a 12-60 is announced, 'cos the finances won't stretch to both, even if that was a sensible move.

smartwombat
14th July 2012, 04:44 PM
Ah Oxford :(
The computer said they had stock, so I ordered one online.
Only to discover they has 1 in store but a stock of 0.
They keep the demo on the shelf and won't sell it, so they can demo it and take orders.
But the computer doesn't know that and it tries to sell it!

I had to go all the way down to Brighton to find one in stock so I had a second body for Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The 12-50 is a good kit lens, and the extra width over the 14-150, and its overlap with the 45-200 means it fits in well with my Panasonic lens collection.

I'm not sure pushing the design to 12-60 will give as good quality, usually a wider zoom range means something is compromised.