PDA

View Full Version : Olympus release a firmware update for the OM-D E-M5

Four Thirds User
12th July 2012, 10:10 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

The update will be available on the OIMC website from today

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/07/olympus_release_a_firmware_update_for_the_omd_em5. php)

snaarman
12th July 2012, 10:31 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

The update will be available on the OIMC website from today

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/07/olympus_release_a_firmware_update_for_the_omd_em5. php)

OK, I can pass on most of the update for the moment, however the improved sleep recovery intrigues me. Will this help me get up in the morning?

But seriously, how cool would it be to have some sort of auto IS.. The camera knows the ISO, shutter speed and focal length, surely it should know when you don't need IS. (You see, I still harbour the suspicion that leaving IS switched on when you don't need it can make your pictures worse..)

Pete

Ian
12th July 2012, 10:38 AM
OK, I can pass on most of the update for the moment, however the improved sleep recovery intrigues me. Will this help me get up in the morning?

But seriously, how cool would it be to have some sort of auto IS.. The camera knows the ISO, shutter speed and focal length, surely it should know when you don't need IS. (You see, I still harbour the suspicion that leaving IS switched on when you don't need it can make your pictures worse..)

Pete

I'm fairly certain that IS will not engage when it's obviously not required - it seem entirely logical.

Ian

StephenL
12th July 2012, 10:47 AM
Does it know just how shaky I can be at times?

snaarman
12th July 2012, 10:50 AM
I'm fairly certain that IS will not engage when it's obviously not required - it seem entirely logical.

Ian

I would hope so, but I deleted loads of "jarred" images when I had the E620, images taken at (say) 1/250th that shouldn't have needed IS intervention. I have to admit I don't see this so much on the E-PL3 and the E-M5 so maybe IS is improving over the years.

BTW, I'm not dissin' it at all. IS can do fantastic things, and the E-M5 IS is just amazing. Thing is I switch it on for low light conditions and then forget to switch it off :)

Pete

PS. Couldn't see the download on the Oly UK site at the moment.

maccabeej
12th July 2012, 12:17 PM
I would hope so, but I deleted loads of "jarred" images when I had the E620, images taken at (say) 1/250th that shouldn't have needed IS intervention. I have to admit I don't see this so much on the E-PL3 and the E-M5 so maybe IS is improving over the years.

BTW, I'm not dissin' it at all. IS can do fantastic things, and the E-M5 IS is just amazing. Thing is I switch it on for low light conditions and then forget to switch it off :)

Pete

Given all that humming, is the mechanism that does the work actually on all the time keeping the sensor suspended in the right place?
Jim

Ian
12th July 2012, 12:29 PM
Given all that humming, is the mechanism that does the work actually on all the time keeping the sensor suspended in the right place?
Jim

Basically, yes.

Ian

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 12:37 PM
Does it know just how shaky I can be at times?

Huh! You can talk! :D

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 12:41 PM
This is some firmware update!

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 underwater support has been added. When using underwater macro or underwater wide mode the lens will move automatically in tele or wide setting.

That raises "weather resistant" to a whole new level! :eek:

:D:D:D:D

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 12:43 PM
Now let's see what mischief I can cause in other threads. :p

Ross the fiddler
12th July 2012, 12:48 PM
Now let's see what mischief I can cause in other threads. :p

Now, now! We're onto you. *nono *erm But then again, go & have yer fun, :D but just don't encourage anybody to drown their OM-D. ;)

*chr

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 12:55 PM
Now, now! We're onto you. *nono *erm But then again, go & have yer fun, :D but just don't encourage anybody to drown their OM-D. ;)

*chr

Good point, Ross. The "underwater support" obviously (?) applies when using the camera/lens in an underwater housing! Best make that clear, because Americans use this site too (Sorry Stewart, I couldn't resist! :o)

snaarman
12th July 2012, 01:35 PM
"Underwater support" ?? Some kind of medical appliance?

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 01:52 PM
"Underwater support" ?? Some kind of medical appliance?

If it is, I could probably use it! :eek: