PDA

View Full Version : Nikon announces development of 800mm 'super' tele

Ian
12th July 2012, 09:48 AM
Nikon has today announced the development (not release) of an 800mm f/5.6 super telephoto for its F-mount DSLRs.

Sounds impressive. But of course with Olympus and Four Thirds you can have a lens more powerful and brighter and much less heavy and bulky by combining a Zuiko Digital 300mm f/2.8 with a Zuiko Digital EC-14 1.4x converter. This results in a 420mm f/4 lens which equates to a 840mm f/4 lens in terms of full frame field of view. If you want to go mad you can use an EC-20 2x converter and this equates to a 1200mm f/5.6.

And of course you can hire the 300 2.8 and EC converters from this site's hire service and it's more affordable and straightforward than you might think! See:

http://e-group.uk.net/hire

Ian

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 12:47 PM
Typical Nikon, lagging behind the curve as usual! :D

P.S. Will it come with a trolly? *laugh

Ross the fiddler
12th July 2012, 12:57 PM
Typical Nikon, lagging behind the curve as usual! :D

Ah John! I found you again having your bit of fun. ;)

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 01:05 PM
Ah John! I found you again having your bit of fun. ;)

I must be on form today! :D

Olybirder
12th July 2012, 01:12 PM
I think it should come with a subscription to BUPA. ;)

Didn't Sigma make their 300-800 zoom in 4/3 mount? I wonder if anybody actually bought one?

Edit. Here (http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/telephoto.html#c=FINISH&i_300-800mm_f056_sigma) it is. What a monster.

Ron

theMusicMan
12th July 2012, 06:52 PM
I must be on form today! :D
Together with the fact that you are looking for an OM-D (if I read the forums correctly today), it's good to see you're on form, John.

Now... about updating that blog of yours.... :)

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 08:08 PM
Together with the fact that you are looking for an OM-D (if I read the forums correctly today), it's good to see you're on form, John.

Now... about updating that blog of yours.... :)

Tentatively looking, John. They're still going for rather more than I'm prepared to pay (it will have to be financed by the sale of my existing kit) but I thought I'd dip a toe in the water.

Yes, it's time I did some more on the blog, there's a piece I'm writing at the momement that I might use. Also, next week (Tuesday to Friday) I'm travelling by train, bus and ferry from London > Inverness > Kyle of Lochalsh > Skye (probably Broadford or Portree) > Mallaig > Fort William > London. Hopefully that will make a good blog entry, with plenty of pictures (I'm taking just the Pen and 14-45mm). :)

theMusicMan
12th July 2012, 08:50 PM
Wow, that's some trip you have going on there, John. I bet you are looking forward to it and I am certain you're going to get some superb shots. I look forward to seeing them all.

gregles
12th July 2012, 09:00 PM
Yes, it's time I did some more on the blog, there's a piece I'm writing at the momement that I might use. Also, next week (Tuesday to Friday) I'm travelling by train, bus and ferry from London > Inverness > Kyle of Lochalsh > Skye (probably Broadford or Portree) > Mallaig > Fort William > London. Hopefully that will make a good blog entry, with plenty of pictures (I'm taking just the Pen and 14-45mm). :)

Sounds fab John*chr

Enjoy*yes*yes

Zuiko
12th July 2012, 09:31 PM
The trip is to celebrate the 50th birthday of a friend who is a bit of a railway enthusiast. There's bound to be a lot of reminicing about the many hillwalking holidays we shared in Scotland in our younger days and maybe the odd whisky or two! *chr

Cathrine Stephansen
12th July 2012, 10:28 PM
I think it should come with a subscription to BUPA. ;)

Didn't Sigma make their 300-800 zoom in 4/3 mount? I wonder if anybody actually bought one?

Edit. Here (http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/telephoto.html#c=FINISH&i_300-800mm_f056_sigma) it is. What a monster.

Ron

Maybe someone bought it - but I bet they couldn't carry it home :D

Cathrine Stephansen
12th July 2012, 10:33 PM
Nikon has today announced the development (not release) of an 800mm f/5.6 super telephoto for its F-mount DSLRs.

Sounds impressive. But of course with Olympus and Four Thirds you can have a lens more powerful and brighter and much less heavy and bulky by combining a Zuiko Digital 300mm f/2.8 with a Zuiko Digital EC-14 1.4x converter. This results in a 420mm f/4 lens which equates to a 840mm f/4 lens in terms of full frame field of view. If you want to go mad you can use an EC-20 2x converter and this equates to a 1200mm f/5.6.

And of course you can hire the 300 2.8 and EC converters from this site's hire service and it's more affordable and straightforward than you might think! See:

http://e-group.uk.net/hire

Ian

Ah, yes. So far so good for the Zuiko 4/3 combo...

But in the future, Nikon will still be making bodies for their 800 mm, whereas I don't know what I can use on my 300 mm 2.8 + EC14 when the E5 dies. :mad:

Unless someone would be bothered to tell...

David M
12th July 2012, 11:13 PM
Nikon made a manual focus 800mm f/5.6 a couple of decades ago. I used to know a bird photographer who swapped his 600mm for one.

peak4
13th July 2012, 05:52 AM
Nikon made a manual focus 800mm f/5.6 a couple of decades ago. I used to know a bird photographer who swapped his 600mm for one.

Sigma still do make one with a Nikon fit
http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telephoto/800mm.htm (http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telephoto/800mm.htm)
and then, there's also a 300-800mm F5.6 zoom which used to be available in 4/3s

Having just been to their web site, http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/index.htm (http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/index.htm) they no longer list any lenses for 4/3s at all, only M4/3 :(

David M
13th July 2012, 10:18 AM
I used/tested a Sigma 800mm f/5.6 15 to 20 years ago but decided to keep my 600mm f/5.6 as the Sigma was huge and heavy by comparison.

Ian
13th July 2012, 10:44 AM
Ah, yes. So far so good for the Zuiko 4/3 combo...

But in the future, Nikon will still be making bodies for their 800 mm, whereas I don't know what I can use on my 300 mm 2.8 + EC14 when the E5 dies. :mad:

Unless someone would be bothered to tell...

It will work on the E-M5 or any Pen and even on some Panasonic G-series bodies.

But I am still hoping Olympus will do an E-7... we should know at by Photokina. The E-5 was announced just before Photokina 2010. The E-30 was unveiled unnamed at Photokina 2008 - I guess that if there is to be an E-7 Olympus will show something at this year's Photokina.

Ian

Tordan58
13th July 2012, 11:40 AM
Hi

I guess Nikon are developing this lens to be in par with the longest Canon lens. For reference the Canon 800mm F/5.6 lens weighs about 4.5 kg and has a price tag around 14k USD. As Ian writes the Zuiko 300mm F/2.8 + EC20 provides comparable angle of view and brightness at half price tag and at 3.5 kg "only". Not sure about IQ, though. (penalty using EC20?)

/Tord

Tordan58
13th July 2012, 11:50 AM
And here is a link to a page (http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0712_nikkor_01.htm)with a picture and more information.

"Furthermore, this lens is scheduled to be on display at Photokina 2012, one of the world's largest photo and imaging exhibitions, to be held in Cologne, Germany from September 18–23, 2012."

Ross the fiddler
13th July 2012, 12:05 PM

But I am still hoping Olympus will do an E-7... we should know at by Photokina. The E-5 was announced just before Photokina 2010. The E-30 was unveiled unnamed at Photokina 2008 - I guess that if there is to be an E-7 Olympus will show something at this year's Photokina.

Ian

I think an E7 at Photokina 2012 would raise confidence overall in Olympus & not just for those with HG & SHG lenses.

Ian
13th July 2012, 12:23 PM
Hi

I guess Nikon are developing this lens to be in par with the longest Canon lens. For reference the Canon 800mm F/5.6 lens weighs about 4.5 kg and has a price tag around 14k USD. As Ian writes the Zuiko 300mm F/2.8 + EC20 provides comparable angle of view and brightness at half price tag and at 3.5 kg "only". Not sure about IQ, though. (penalty using EC20?)

/Tord

You only need the EC-14 and that delivers better IQ than the EC-20 and your equivalent lens is a 840mm f/4 :)

Ian

Westy
13th July 2012, 12:45 PM
What I would like to see is Olympus developing lens's like a 300mm 2.8 for the micro four-thirds bodies. Surly they would be smaller than the four-thirds equivalents and potentially cheaper as well? As that is surely were the future lies for Olympus.

Cathrine Stephansen
13th July 2012, 12:57 PM
I think an E7 at Photokina 2012 would raise confidence overall in Olympus & not just for those with HG & SHG lenses.

When I asked the people at Olympus in Norway they were very definate that there will be no more four thirds bodies, only micro four thirds. So I'm not hoping any more...

Just hoping that if they sort out the autofocus issues that supposedly are a problem with using 4/3 lenses on the EM-5 that I will like those bodies for my use. But I doubt it, I don't see them having the same priorities that I do in the development area.

So - by the look of it, there will be some very nice Oly equipment for sale when my E3 and E5 bodies are worn out. Then I will look into Nikon or Canon. If I can afford them.

Oly don't try to sell very much in Norway, and there are only Nikons and Canons for trying out in the shops before buying. And honestly, there is no way I am buying and OMD for 4/3 lenses without having tried one for birds/action. The performance of micro 4/3 doesn't convince in that dicipline from what I've seen so far.

Cathrine Stephansen
13th July 2012, 01:03 PM
You only need the EC-14 and that delivers better IQ than the EC-20 and your equivalent lens is a 840mm f/4 :)

Ian

Some examples of ruffs taken with this combo. Supported by a monopod and Manfrotto Gimbal-type head. The result is a bit too soft for me, and sharpening made them artificial. I prefer to use the 300 mm on its own and crop. Which is why I would like more pixels than the E5 has.

http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v1/p441889424-5.jpg

http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v31/p138469314-5.jpg

http://csspikkerud.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v1/p18123545-5.jpg

Cathrine Stephansen
13th July 2012, 03:08 PM

Ian

Promising, Ian. *chr I didn't notice you wrote this (what a grumpy old nag I have become - must be the rain...)

BUT: Will it focus as fast as one needs for birds in flight? If it does (and you're probably the only one here with the gear available to try it out in a proper test (hint hint)) and the OMD focuses reliably and quick, then I am more than willing to give the "OMG" :D a chance and being an optimist again.

Could you pop the 300 mm 2.8 on the OMD with the adapter, as well as the 50-200 mm SWD and the 12-60 SWD? I am going on two once-in-a-lifetime trips in the coming months and a third body is tempting for back-up, probably necessary even.

A thorough test of 4/3 lenses (even the two Sigmas 105 and 150mm macros) on the E5 and the OMD-EM5 and maybe even a regular new PEN like the E-PL3 (which I have... :D) would be most welcome, and might shut some of us (me especially...) up.

Then we would have the facts: Is it slower - if so - HOW MUCH? Is the autofocus reliable - if not quite, then HOW unreliable? Then each can decide if it will work well enough. I would really like fast and reliable continuous autofocus, as the E5 is a bit unreliable in C-AF mode. So this is something that I would like to see improved in a body for my 50-200 and 300 mm. I never use all the autofocus points today anyway during bird shooting, as the camera rarely knows what to focus on ;) and I still get plenty of sharp shots.

So, Ian. A full test would be much appreciated. I've had Olys since 1980... I've only ever had a Nikon pair of binoculars. But I live in Canonikon country - there are no OMDs to try out withought spending the kroners...

Bikie John
13th July 2012, 04:06 PM
What I would like to see is Olympus developing lens's like a 300mm 2.8 for the micro four-thirds bodies. Surly they would be smaller than the four-thirds equivalents and potentially cheaper as well? As that is surely were the future lies for Olympus.

The problem is that a 300/2.8 probably wouldn't be much smaller for micro 4/3 than for big 4/3 or even 35mm. Physics means that the front element has to be nearly 100 mm across and that means a big, heavy (and cripplingly expensive) lens.

Where the smaller sensor and shorter flange distance of micro 4/3rds really score is with wide-angle lenses. The distance from the back of the lens to the sensor is a major constraint on design at short focal lengths. The lens likes to sit at a distance roughly equal to the focal length, so when the focal length is shorter than the available space the lens designers have to play all sorts of tricks to make it work. This is why many very short focal-length lenses for 35mm SLR's were pretty chunky. Everything being smaller for 4/3rds helps a bit, but the really big jump comes with micro-4/3rds not having a reflex mirror to get in the way. Hence the m43 12mm f/2 being tiny - a lens of that spec for big43 would be pretty huge.

Ciao ... John

David M
13th July 2012, 09:38 PM
Actually a 300mm f/2.8 needs a front element slightlty over 100mm in diameter. 107 point something mm, can't find a calculator.

Ross the fiddler
14th July 2012, 12:08 AM
A thorough test of 4/3 lenses (even the two Sigmas 105 and 150mm macros) on the E5 and the OMD-EM5 and maybe even a regular new PEN like the E-PL3 (which I have... :D) would be most welcome, and might shut some of us (me especially...) up.

Then we would have the facts: Is it slower - if so - HOW MUCH? Is the autofocus reliable - if not quite, then HOW unreliable? Then each can decide if it will work well enough. I would really like fast and reliable continuous autofocus, as the E5 is a bit unreliable in C-AF mode. So this is something that I would like to see improved in a body for my 50-200 and 300 mm. I never use all the autofocus points today anyway during bird shooting, as the camera rarely knows what to focus on ;) and I still get plenty of sharp shots.

So, Ian. A full test would be much appreciated. I've had Olys since 1980... I've only ever had a Nikon pair of binoculars. But I live in Canonikon country - there are no OMDs to try out withought spending the kroners...

The Sigma 150 macro lens doesn't focus correctly on the E-M5. It goes to the focus point & does it's little jiggle to settle on the best focus point, but it shoots past that point, so only MF is usable.

Cathrine Stephansen
14th July 2012, 09:53 PM
The Sigma 150 macro lens doesn't focus correctly on the E-M5. It goes to the focus point & does it's little jiggle to settle on the best focus point, but it shoots past that point, so only MF is usable.

Well, it's not my favourite lens (neither of the Sigmas WOW me...) but the 300 mm 2.8 and the 50-200 mm SWD... well... *HE)

I guess I'd just have to get a dedicated Oly macro :D

Any other trial reports out there?

Ross the fiddler
15th July 2012, 03:52 AM
Well, it's not my favourite lens (neither of the Sigmas WOW me...) but the 300 mm 2.8 and the 50-200 mm SWD... well... *HE)

I guess I'd just have to get a dedicated Oly macro :D

Any other trial reports out there?

Then you'll probably want the new 60mm M4/3's macro lens when it is available. *yes

Cathrine Stephansen
15th July 2012, 08:30 PM
Well, first I'd need an OMD-EM5 :)

Ross the fiddler
16th July 2012, 01:03 AM
Well, first I'd need an OMD-EM5 :)

That was the general idea. ;)

Tordan58
16th July 2012, 07:45 AM
I am going on two once-in-a-lifetime trips in the coming months and a third body is tempting for back-up, probably necessary even.
... Snipped...

Hi Cathrine,
Out of curiosity... may I ask where you are going? Is weight/size of photo equipment a constraining factor?
PS Nikon make fine binoculars and scopes, excellent performance and reasonably priced. I use Nikon myself.
/Tord

Cathrine Stephansen
17th July 2012, 08:09 AM
Hi Cathrine,
Out of curiosity... may I ask where you are going? Is weight/size of photo equipment a constraining factor?
PS Nikon make fine binoculars and scopes, excellent performance and reasonably priced. I use Nikon myself.
/Tord

I'm going first to Svalbard and Greenland, ending on Iceland on a cruise boat. A fortnight's photography workshop with John Paul Caponigro and Seth Resnick. Then - in February, to Antartica with the same two gentlemen on another workshop.

As it's a photo workshop, I guess we will need everything and that both tripods and monos are allowed, as an Oly shooter I am guessing my gear will be the smallest anyway, even with the E3 and E5 :D

It shouldn't be the fastest shooting, with all those landscapes, so the OMD with its larger pixel count would be nice, as I would be aiming for large print quality.

I have ordered a 4/3 to m4/3 adapter from B&H, shipped yesterday, so I should be able to try out that on the E-PL3 during holidays for functionality, and decide whether to go the OMD-EM5 route before I leave on the 2. September. But I don't want to buy an OMD and then find out after Photokina that Oly are coming with an E7 with the 16 MP sensor, and there I am with an OMD with continuous focusing issues on my 300 2.8...

The Nikon binoculars were very good, and much cheaper than the Leica I have today. But sadly I must have left it in a security check somewhere along the long Norwegian coastline... :eek::mad:

Tordan58
17th July 2012, 08:28 AM
This looks exciting!

May I throw in one recommendation: make sure you have not only spare batteries (no-brainer) but also a spare battery charger (if the E3 and E5 use same batteries). A guy I know went to Tanzania on an expensive safari, and found out his battery charger (Olympus) was non-functional after he had drained his first battery... He had to make wise use of the spare battery he had brought and still ran out of power. There was a handful of photographers on that safari, sadly all of them using Canon or Nikon.
/Tord

Cathrine Stephansen
17th July 2012, 09:05 AM
Thank you, Tordan :D My thoughts exactly. Along with the adapter, I am also getting an extra charger along with the new sets of extra batteries. Mine haven't done their full number of charges yet, but you never jnow, and I don't want to be along the Greenland Coast when I run out... Also the spare battery chargers will be US type, and the cruise ship is American (Quark Expeditions) so they should be practical, as it's so bulky with all the adapters for chargers, it's useful to have a couple of US-type cords.

Cathrine Stephansen
17th July 2012, 09:09 AM
There was a handful of photographers on that safari, sadly all of them using Canon or Nikon.
/Tord

Actually, on the Galapagos trip last year, there was actually one other man using Olympus, an E-620. That doesn't happen often!