PDA

View Full Version : HELP! FL36r

AlanR
10th July 2012, 10:35 AM
A friend of mine has asked to borrow my FL36R flash and wants to operate it on his Canon EOS 60D hotshoe. Does anybody know if it will work on his camera and, if so, what restrictions will there be on its operation? :confused:

Ian
10th July 2012, 11:42 AM
I think you need to be careful. The Olympus and Canon dedicated pins/pads are in very similar positions and you can even use Canon cables to connect Olympus flash units to Olympus hot dedicated hot shoes. But they are not at all compatible in the dedicated sensor. You will almost certainly need to ensure that the FL36 is set to manual or non-TTL auto exposure. Not even sure the latter will work.

Ian

AlanR
10th July 2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the advice Ian, I think the best course of action is to tell him that he should think of another option

Ross the fiddler
10th July 2012, 12:01 PM
A friend of mine has asked to borrow my FL36R flash and wants to operate it on his Canon EOS 60D hotshoe. Does anybody know if it will work on his camera and, if so, what restrictions will there be on its operation? :confused:

I might seem to be selfish, but seeing it isn't an Olympus or compatible camera, I wouldn't lend it at all (unless all they wanted it for would be for slave use only & definitely nothing else).

Graham_of_Rainham
10th July 2012, 12:32 PM
Several other people have used my FL-36R with all sorts of cameras.

I set it to work in slave mode - Auto and they set their popup flash to the lowest setting it will go, just to trigger the slave sensor.

It works really well.

I did have one person moan at me that their popup flash was not working correctly having used my flash (off camera). I had to remind them to return their flash power back to normal :rolleyes:

AlanR
10th July 2012, 01:24 PM
The general opinion that I am getting from you guys indicates that maybe lending the flash is not a good idea. I think I will be taking that advice. Thanks to all for the input *chr