PDA

View Full Version : A Compact Tripod for my E-M5

CJJE
9th July 2012, 11:21 AM
I have a Manfrotto 190 tripod that must be 25 years old that was invaluable with my Canon EOSD outfit, now largely replaced by a Manfrotto CarbonOne tripod that I bought at Focus when it was being superseded. But both are too big for my new small E-M5 outfit, and won't get taken on many walks with me!

I wondered about monopods, but still like the ability to have a free-standing camera on a tripod for landscapes and group photos. So I've been looking around for a 'Micro 4/3rds' tripod.

Then I spotted the Manfrotto M-Y carbon fibre tripod (732CY) being sold with a small 3-way quick release head by Jessops. The tripod was originally being sold for 240 but Jessops are selling them off for 85. It's very light, but with a load capacity that more than covers an E-M5 with a 100-300 zoom lens. And the carbon fibre legs are said to damp out vibration far better than aluminium legs.

It's shorter than my CarbonOne, both for carrying on my LowePro Slingshot 102 and in use, but with the folding LCD screen on my E-M5 there's no problem composing landscape format shots.

All in all, it looks a good buy, and supports my philosophy that the best outfit is the one that's light enough to be taken with you.

Details at http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/82276/show.html

Chris :)