PDA

View Full Version : Lens adapters ????

bully74uk
21st June 2008, 06:56 PM
Ive just taken the plunge and upgraded from a bridge camera to DSLR and am eagerly awaiting delivery of an E510 twin lens kit.

Whilst browsing through fleabay I came across this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Lens-to-Olympus-4-E330-E410-420-E500-E510-adaptor_W0QQitemZ170230766218QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem170230766218&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

From the looks of it, its an adapter ring that will enable one to fix Nikon lenses to the Olympus four thirds system

Knowing very little about the four thirds, or interchangeable lenses in general can anyone tell me if there are any problems with using an adapter like this ?

Would image quality be affected using Nikon lenses on an Olympus ?

Would AF work or would it have to be MF only ?

Sorry if its a stupid question but im a DSLR newbie, in fact im not even that because the camera hasn't arrived yet !

R MacE
21st June 2008, 07:16 PM
Hi,

broadly speaking the adapters are to allow you to use manual focus lenses. You can use AF lenses but you'll still need to focus manually and as the aperture needs to be set manually you need to use a lens that has an aperture ring.

IMHO having used various MF lenses on E-System bodies it's workable and a bit of fun but you're better off in the long run using dedicated 4/3rds lenses.

Richard

snaarman
21st June 2008, 07:18 PM
Hi there..
I bought one of these a year ago and have tried a couple of Nikon lenses on my E-400 without major problems.

However...

You won't get autofocus. If its a modern Nikon AF kit lens (G series ??) where you don't have an aperture ring than you are in trouble.. that will restrict you even more.

Assuming you put an older legacy nikkor on there then you can use the Oly in Aperture priority or manual exposure and manual focus and get good results, but you might find focusing a problem unless you fit a split image screen in your camera.

Here is my page dealing with fitting the screen
http://www.snaar.co.uk/fourthirds/index.html

and here is my page where I say nice things about the Nikon E series 100mm f2.8
http://www.snaar.co.uk/lenses/index.html

You may find (like I did) that the adapter allows the Nikon lens to focus beyond infinity. Annoying but not terminal..

Hope this helps :-)

Pete

bully74uk
21st June 2008, 10:15 PM
OK, thanks for the replies.

So the adapter is pretty much for older Nikon Lenses with MF and Manual Aperture.

No problem for me as I purchased the E510 purely because the kit lenses got good reviews and I won't be able financially to purchase replacement lenses in a hurry.

Had one been that interested in Nikon glass, one would have purchased a Nikon ;)

R MacE
22nd June 2008, 12:11 AM
Had one been that interested in Nikon glass, one would have purchased a Nikon ;)

You might be better off using the Nikon lenses on an Olympus. I had a Nikon D70 and it couldn't meter with MF Nikon lenses however the E-1 that I got to replace it could. :D

Cathal
26th August 2008, 12:34 PM
I'm quite interested in legacy glass, for quality, availability, cost and entertainment value. For example, I have a very nice condition Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5 lens sitting underneath my desk.

It's an m42 screw mount and when I bought it a few months ago I intended to get a m42 to Pentax K (or Nikon) and use it on the cameras I had available to me. Now, as an e510 user (and a very happy one at that!) I would love to be able to put this lens on my 4/3 body.

Is this possible by way of an adapter, or is it a case of introducing the lens to Messers Heath and Robinson? The lens cost me a fiver or less (can't remember the exact price but it was sooooooooooo cheap!) so if was foxtrot uniformed in the process it wouldn't be the end of the world... though I don't want to damage my e510!

R MacE
26th August 2008, 02:41 PM
You can get M42 to 4/3rds adapters on ebay among other places.

Search for item number 350091940091 or Sellers Gadget Infinity or Roxsen

theMusicMan
26th August 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi - you'll find that the Oly kit lenses will yield excellent results. Oly glass is considered the best kit glass on any system.

Having said that, there are awesome Oly lenses available that are not as expensive as it might seem. Perhaps once you have had a chance to get to grips with the E-510 and you are able to consider additional lenses, have a look at the Oly 70-300mm, and the Oly 35mm macro lens... both are awesome. Oly are bringin out a 9-18mm wide angle in their low cost range later this year - September I think. You often see these lenses for sale on here or other 4/3 / Olympus sites.

The next step up would be semi-pro glass lenses... of which the 14-54mm, 12-60mm, 11-22mm, 50-200mm and 50mm Macro all stand out as seriously impressive lenses... especially the 12-60 and 50-200mm.

All I'll say to you is that this is an addictive hobby and I bet you'll soon be looking for additional glass... :) When you're ready, ask away as there are many people on here always willing to help and lend a hand.

Enjoy your new E-510.

Cathal
26th August 2008, 03:18 PM
Addiction with this hobby is second nature to me... I've been "hooked" since 1981!

With regards to what I want next, that is the 35mm macro lens. The 9-18mm zoom is interesting and may become an essential purchase. I won't be an early adopter, and will wait for reviews to follow.

One of my reasons for jumping to the Olympus system was cost and quality. I don't believe pound for pound I would get a better system anywhere, and so far the results I'm getting have been very satisfactory. The e510 AF is a bit lacking, but I'll learn how to get the best out of it in due course. The other was the whole "downsizing" thing. The light weight and size is very appealing. I've had a lot of pro Nikon glass and bodies in the past, and it does become a bit of a drag to take out and about. I also like to be unobtrusive, in much the same way Leica street photographers were in the past.

I don't intend to let my e system become too large, as that sort of defeats the purpose. Also, if possible I don't intend to let the total value exceed 1,000, although that won't be easy.

Greatly appreciate the info regarding the M42 adapter... I'll look out for it!

Regards,

Cathal

HughofBardfield
26th August 2008, 03:53 PM
You might also be interested in John Foster's extensive tests of Olympus OM "legacy" lenses using the E1 and E300 ( http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html and http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e330.html ). Not all of the lenses are good, and the more "bog standard" varieties are often better than the more exotic wide aperture varieties. Longer FLs are also more reliable than wider.

The humble OM 50 f1.8 can be very sharp and a very good low light lens (if you can live with MF, of course). The OM 24mm is pricey (for more of a "standard lens" FL on 4/3rds) - and you could buy a ZD 25mm pancake for less, but other brands like Tamron also deliver good results and can be had for 40-50 including an OM-fit Adaptall 2 adaptor. The OM 135mm and 200mm both perform well and a 270mm equivalent f3.5 could be a good "street" lens.

If small, unobtrusive and cheap is your bag, legacy glass has something to offer, providing you can live with the inevitable compromises. You might like to have a look here for example: http://www.flickr.com/groups/om_four_thirds_adapter/