PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Panasonic 100-300

raj
5th July 2012, 11:16 PM
Hi guys

I have a dilemma I can get the lens for around 400 standard price and have 150 in voucher so with the current cash back of 50 lens price works out at around 200 I have an Olympus e-m5 would it be better to go for this over the Olympus 75-300? Or is the 75-300 that much better?

Thanks
Raj

Kiwi Paul
5th July 2012, 11:44 PM
The 100-300 is a very good lens, I had one but didn't use it enough so sold it. I think the 100-300 and 75-300 are much the same except the Lumix lens is better value for money so I'd go for it.

Paul

raj
5th July 2012, 11:52 PM
yeah i am leaning towards the panasonic, as it probably wont be my main lens either abit of an impulse buy if i must admit. the saving over the 75-300 i could use to help fund the oly 75 to add to my pana 25, and oly 45.

Raj

Mrs T
6th July 2012, 05:41 AM
Both are good lenses and I have posted some pictures from both in other threads.

I would chose the 75-300 every time. It's my personal preference but it feels better built and importantly for me feels much better balanced when on the camera. And it doesn't creep like the Panasonic does. Price wise then obviously the Panasonic wins.

Also I found that little bit extra at the wide angle end useful.

Amanda

Greytop
6th July 2012, 07:54 AM
This (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20583) thread may help you.
In my opinion they are very evenly matched. If the 75-300 was at a similar price point to the 100-300 and included a lens hood and pouch I may have gone that way but I opted for the 100-300, the aperture at the long end and package cost swinging it in the Lumix's favour (for me). I'm more than happy with the choice I made.

Bikie John
6th July 2012, 08:38 AM
Paul sold his 100-300 to me :)

So far I have only used it once in a serious context, I'll post some samples when I get a few moments to sort them out. Initial thoughts are that it is very good. My reason for looking for the Panny rather than the Oly was the wider aperture - I envisaged using it for sport where I generally want long focal length and high shutter speeds so max aperture is important. If that isn't a concern then the extra bit at the wide end of the Oly may swing it the other way for you.

Ciao ... John

PeterBirder
6th July 2012, 09:39 AM
Hi guys

I have a dilemma I can get the lens for around 400 standard price and have 150 in voucher so with the current cash back of 50 lens price works out at around 200 I have an Olympus e-m5 would it be better to go for this over the Olympus 75-300? Or is the 75-300 that much better?

Thanks
Raj

I decided to go for the Panasonic 100-300 a few weeks ago for all the reasons others have stated. Since then they have been out of stock everywhere, about as easy to get as a BLN-1 battery.:rolleyes:
You should note that this lens is not included in the current 50 cashback promotion.

Regards.

Olybirder
6th July 2012, 10:03 AM
You should note that this lens is not included in the current 50 cashback promotion.
Why not? It appears to be on the list here (http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/lumix-g-summer-cashback/), if you click on Promotion Terms and Conditions.

The first half dozen results that Camera Price Buster threw up all showed it as in stock too. I am sure that situation would change if I decided to buy a m4/3 camera, though. ;)

Ron

PeterBirder
6th July 2012, 10:41 AM
Why not? It appears to be on the list here (http://promotions.panasonic.co.uk/offer/lumix-g-summer-cashback/), if you click on Promotion Terms and Conditions.

The first half dozen results that Camera Price Buster threw up all showed it as in stock too. I am sure that situation would change if I decided to buy a m4/3 camera, though. ;)

Ron

Thanks for that, they must have updated the offer since I last checked.

Not sure about the accuracy of price comparison sites re stock. It's out of stock on the Panasonic web shop and Park Cameras and Celtic Vision who are trying to get me one are having no joy with Panasonic.*shrug

Regards.

Olybirder
6th July 2012, 10:55 AM
Not sure about the accuracy of price comparison sites re stock. It's out of stock on the Panasonic web shop and Park Cameras and Celtic Vision who are trying to get me one are having no joy with Panasonic.*shrug
Yes, they are not always accurate. However Amazon, Warehouse Express, Currys, Dixons and PC World are all showing it as in stock on their websites.

Many more places now appear to have the E-M5 in stock too now, including the silver version.

Ron

Loup Garou
6th July 2012, 11:41 AM
I asked the same question a few weeks ago and then bought the Panasonic 100-300 simply because it was so much cheaper. It is heavier than the olympus 75-300 but I am very happy with the build quality. There is not the slightest zoom creep with the lens held upside down and gently shaken. In fact quite a few reports suggested that it was a problem with the Olympus 75-300!

I am also very happy with the picture quality.

raj
6th July 2012, 04:07 PM
Hi guys

thanks allot for all your opinions, feedback and experiences i think i will borrow one from work and give it a try before i buy but i am about 99% sure of buying one since the deal works out well for me with the vouchers and cashback factored in.

Raj

PeterBirder
6th July 2012, 10:12 PM
Well, I got a call from Celtic Vision today to say that Panasonic have have allocated them ONE for delivery next Thursday and it's got my name on it.:D
So patience is a virtue, if it had been available when I first ordered I wouldn't have got the 50 cashback offer which only started this week.:)

Regards.*chr

raj
6th July 2012, 11:09 PM
i should get a hold of one on monday as my workplace sells the lens will decide after i try it over the course of next week

Raj

Ian
9th July 2012, 11:35 AM
I have a Panny 100-300 at the moment but I am finding that it won't let the E-M5 shoot at full H mode continuous shooting speed (9-10fps), even with OIS switched off. Has anyone else experienced this. Am investigating!

Ian

raj
9th July 2012, 12:31 PM
:eek: i really will need to test this lens before i buy in that case hopefully i should get hold of one tonight to test

peak4
9th July 2012, 05:37 PM
I have a Panny 100-300 at the moment but I am finding that it won't let the E-M5 shoot at full H mode continuous shooting speed (9-10fps), even with OIS switched off. Has anyone else experienced this. Am investigating!

Ian

Ian, you're quite correct, I've never tried it before.
The 100-300mm sounds noticeably slower than the kit lens.

The easiest way for me to try it out was to fire off a burst at an LCD clock and count the frames at each display of a whole second.
Indoors in less than favourable indoor lighting I couldn't make 9/10 FPS with the kit lens either.

autoWB; autoISO(6400); AP; small normal resolution; class 10 card; averaged out over a few seconds.

Even at 1280x960, I only got about 14-17 frames before it slowed down writing to the card with each of 3 different brands of class 10 card.

100-300mm at either end about 6/7 FPS
12-50mm at long end about 7/8 FPS
14mm & 20mm 4/5 FPS
7-14mm 5/6FPS@7mm 4/5FPS @14mm
14-140mm 5/6FPS @14mm 4/5FPS @140mm

Just a bit of food for thought; when the weather improves I'll have a go outside (I've only got one mFT waterproof lens :rolleyes: )

Perhaps we need to try this in bright light, at both ends of the lens and also with aperture wide open and stopped down. Maybe the action of closing the aperture slows things down a bit.

raj
10th July 2012, 07:21 PM
I managed to get a hold of one to borrow but cant use it atm because of the poor weather :( but i was wondering what its optimum aperture is for sharpness at 300mm?

Ian
10th July 2012, 07:26 PM
You can use it wide open. If you go below f/8 or so you will get diffraction softening.

Ian

peak4
10th July 2012, 07:31 PM
Ian, any luck with your "investigations"?

Still throwing it down up here, so not been out of the house for a play.

Ian
25th July 2012, 11:40 AM
I have an answer - not good news. The aperture iris actuation mechanism can't keep up with the frame rate. Olympus lenses have a faster iris. The smaller the aperture the slower the frame rate will be with the 100-300. If you shoot at full aperture the frame rate will not be compromised. Apparently at f/22 the frame rate is as little as 4fps. It means that even if Panasonic produces a fast sequential rate camera the fastes frame rate will probably also be compromised with smaller apertures.

Ian