PDA

View Full Version : Using UW strobes for macro with the OM-D?

Loup Garou
5th July 2012, 09:12 PM
I'd like to do some macro photography and in situations where the ambient light is insufficient, a ring flash unit would be useful. I don't think Olympus make one yet for the micro-4/3 system and in any case I have already spent too much money on the OM-D kit and spare lenses.

I just got a wild idea that may or may not work - there is even a risk of damage to equipment. As a scuba diver I do a lot of underwater photography and part of my kit are a pair of powerful Ikelite Strobe units that act like slave flashguns. They can be mounted at either end of a bracket that has a hole in the middle through which a tripod-thread screw can be used to secure a camera - even the OM-D. Theoretically, the little clip-flash can trigger both the strobes.

Strictly speaking, the strobes are not supposed to be used on dry land for fear of overheating. But I can tone them down (I have to, to avoid over-exposure) and wet the strobe heads beforehand. Also, it will be for the odd one or two photos now and then.

Does anyone know if I can make this ensemble work?

Wreckdiver
5th July 2012, 09:29 PM
I use twin Ikelite DS161 strobes with my E-3 setup. I test the system out of water and take test shots using a wooden base plate to support the rig and get perfectly good results.

I am not far from you in Chippenham, you are welcome to come to my place and you can try my rig and see the results.

Steve

Loup Garou
5th July 2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks. Although I am a Swindonian GP, I regularly do Tuesday night shifts out of Chippenham Community Hospital.

I am going on a 18-day trip to my hometown Bangalore in a few days. We will try to meet up when I get back.

PS: Looking at your username, have you been to Truk Lagoon? Or do you prefer the freezing waters of Scapa Flow?

Wreckdiver
5th July 2012, 11:09 PM
Haven't dived either but our club (Seahorse Dive Club) has been to Scapa a few times in the past few years. I must get on the next trip there.

Drop me a message when you get back.

Steve

Footloose1949
24th July 2012, 12:40 AM
Vaguely related to this thread, I'm wondering if anyone has ever dived onto the sites of any of the WW1 K class submarines? Quite a weird and wonderful British sub, they used oil-fired steam turbines (??!!) and of the 18 built, none were lost through enemy action but 6 sank as a result of accidents, some whilst on peace-time Naval manoeuvres. Another weird British sub was the M class, some had a huge gun 12" fitted on top of the hull, whilst even more bizarrely, another version had a small flying-boat and hanger installed atop it, in a similar manner! ... Yes, this was also supposed to submerge ... which it did, but then didn't resurface (surprise, surprise!) There are apparently a couple of K class wrecks, not too sure if there are any M class wrecks.

Loup Garou
24th July 2012, 03:37 AM
Haven't dived either but our club (Seahorse Dive Club) has been to Scapa a few times in the past few years. I must get on the next trip there.

Drop me a message when you get back.

Steve

Still in India but back in the UK in 4 days. BTW, is this "Sea Horse Dive Club" of yours co-run by Mark Horton of Uffcott? He did my OW training back in 2006.

Wreckdiver
24th July 2012, 11:59 AM
Still in India but back in the UK in 4 days. BTW, is this "Sea Horse Dive Club" of yours co-run by Mark Horton of Uffcott? He did my OW training back in 2006.

Yes, this is our website: Seahorse Dive Club (http://www.seahorsediveclub.co.uk/index.htm)

I remember you, Arun isn't it? You were a member for a while. Mark Horton did your training as White Horse Divers. He is no longer involved in training but is a founder of the club and is actively involved as a recreational diver and on the committee.

Come along one Wednesday evening to the pool for a chat, be good to catch up with you.

Cheers,

Steve

Wreckdiver
24th July 2012, 12:03 PM
Vaguely related to this thread, I'm wondering if anyone has ever dived onto the sites of any of the WW1 K class submarines? Quite a weird and wonderful British sub, they used oil-fired steam turbines (??!!) and of the 18 built, none were lost through enemy action but 6 sank as a result of accidents, some whilst on peace-time Naval manoeuvres. Another weird British sub was the M class, some had a huge gun 12" fitted on top of the hull, whilst even more bizarrely, another version had a small flying-boat and hanger installed atop it, in a similar manner! ... Yes, this was also supposed to submerge ... which it did, but then didn't resurface (surprise, surprise!) There are apparently a couple of K class wrecks, not too sure if there are any M class wrecks.

There is the M2 out of Lyme bay: M2 link (http://www.westbaydiving.co.uk/dive_sites/wrecks/m2_wreck.php). Not dived it myself but members of our club make frequent trips there.

Steve