PDA

View Full Version : Lens of the week: Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5

Four Thirds User
3rd July 2012, 09:20 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

In the first of our new series of reflective articles about Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds lenses we take a fond look back at the very first Four Thirds standard zoomlens, the Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/07/lens_of_the_week_zuiko_digital_1454mm_f2835.php)

Ross the fiddler
3rd July 2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for doing this Ian. It's been my work horse lens now on three different bodies as posted in the 4/3's User thread. For it's price, it is certainly a worthwhile lens. *yes
*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd July 2012, 10:51 AM
It was my most used lens, right up to the point when Ian let me have use of the 14-35...

The 14-54 often surprised me with the clarity it produced.

I was always curious as to why the FL-50 only zoomed to 42mm as the E-3 ,14-54, FL-50 was an ideal kit for just about all general purpose photography.

I recon it will end up as being the most favoured of the FT lenses :cool:

Rafeabrook
3rd July 2012, 02:38 PM
An awesome value lens when bought second hand and has been my workhorse for 3 years in and out of the studio!

Ulfric M Douglas
3rd July 2012, 04:58 PM
I got mine from this very forum and it got plenty of use on Blast Beach last month.
Good lens.

Ian
4th July 2012, 07:43 AM
The discussion thread linked to the article about the 14-54 started well but seems to have stalled - was looking forward to some great anecdotes about the 14-54 and associated photos. You can find the thread here:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11180

Ian

Greytop
5th July 2012, 02:41 PM
Just added one to help things along, thanks for the link Ian :)

JonSchick
8th July 2012, 11:43 AM
I loved using the 14-54 on the E-1, and carried on using a mk2 version with the GH-2 too. However, after doing some obsessive pixel-peeping one cold, wet British summer day (we've had plenty of those), I found to my surprise that when comparing with the Lumix 14-45, the Zuiko was matched or even outperformed by the m43 lens. It still offers more reach and faster apertures... but I use primes when I want to control depth of field, and lens speed is less of an issue now given that newer sensors are so much more usable higher up the ISO scale.

Bottom line for me is that I reckon the 14-54 is an excellent lens, and very good value if you can pick one up at a good price - a brilliant lens for dSLRs if you can't stretch to the 12-60. But I'm less convinced than I used to be that it is a good solution for m43 - the Lumix 14-45 is so good and much smaller, as well as being much faster to focus.

Ulfric M Douglas
8th July 2012, 12:37 PM
Jon, I tested my 14-45MkI against my Lumix 14-45 and found my 14-54 rather soft in the corners whereas the little Lumix spanked all my other lenses when it came to edges and corners.
I use them both very differently though. The 14-54 is for somewhat isolated focus in a flexible FOV, my Lumix is for landscapes.

JonSchick
8th July 2012, 01:28 PM
Ulfric - sounds like a good plan. I guess when I want the selective focus, I tend to reach for the prime lenses, but the ZD is a good and more flexible solution too.

snaarman
8th July 2012, 01:58 PM
I found to my surprise that when comparing with the Lumix 14-45, the Zuiko was matched or even outperformed by the m43 lens. .

That's interesting. I have them both and I would put the 14-54 slightly ahead of the 14-45, particularly used at it's sweet spot (f5.6 or so). My 14-45 shows some slight CA and colour fringes at the wide end that is difficult to correct. Certainly the Lumix has faster AF.

Pete