PDA

View Full Version : Sony made the sensor for the E-M5?

Ross the fiddler
3rd July 2012, 05:20 AM
So, the rumours are out stating that Olympus President Sasa confessed the Olympus E-M5 sensor has been made by Sony. :eek:

Well, that would explain why it is so good (giving Sony the credit for their sensors, not cameras). :D

Lets hear your comments.

*chr

son of sid
3rd July 2012, 06:04 AM
As long as it did it's job and I liked the results, i wouldn't really care who made it.

Sid

George Dorn
3rd July 2012, 06:12 AM
Well it's what you do with it that matters... The supply of tv screen components is dominated by a few major suppliers too. If Olympus have sourced their sensor from another supplier more efficiently, why not? (Are Sony and Olympus in the same konzern perhaps?).

This will give some gear heads the opportunity to pass a few negative comments about Olympus, I suppose, but then if I was interested in that sort of thing, I'd have a Canon (:D)

StephenL
3rd July 2012, 06:33 AM
Most of the bits in most cameras have been sourced from various suppliers. I'm delighted with the performance of the sensor in the E-M5, and all credit to Olympus for writing the firmware which controls it, but I really do not give two hoots who made it.

Zuiko
3rd July 2012, 07:42 AM
It's been pretty much certain for some time that it wasn't made by Panasonic, so Sony were favourites. I can't understand why all the secrecy, but then again I can't understand why it should matter either. I don't drive around in my Volkswagen fretting about who made the engine management system. I rate this issue as mildly intriguing but of little importance.

OlyPaul
3rd July 2012, 07:45 AM
Stephen may not but I do if only to be proven right.:)

I know most things I post here are mostly forgot or ignored but it's nice to be right sometimes. ;)

I posted this on the FTU site in January.

I also believe the Panasonic sensor is not as good as their currant rivals sensors, I really believe if there were a Sony 4/3 's sensor with Nikons know how, all the nit picking about noise and image quality would go away.;)

To which Ian replied

I will eat my hat if the new OM Digital (as suggested in the teaser ads) has anything other than a Panasonic-made LiveMOS sensor.

Ian

Now I just need to know which hat Ian is going to eat.:D

Graham_of_Rainham
3rd July 2012, 08:43 AM
It's not much different to when people would ask "What film was that shot on?"

It can be of interest in seeing (or speculating on) the differences in the final results. However as there is so much that is dependant on the processing engine (equivalent of the film development), we can again debate endlessly the combinations in the elements that make up the process.

All part of the fun ;)

Greytop
3rd July 2012, 08:53 AM
I agree with Graham, it's the whole package that counts. Olympus always seem to be able to extract every last drop and more from whichever sensor they use.
This package performs very well indeed and if it happens to be a Sony sensor I've no issue with it either way :)

JonSchick
3rd July 2012, 09:41 AM
Olympus wouldn't be the first to tweak the most out of a Sony sensor - it's something Pentax have been doing for years. Their K100D got the best results of any camera using the Sony 6MP sensor, and the K-5/K-01 both extract more than Sony (and arguably Nikon) can do from the more modern offerings.

I'm not terribly bothered to be honest, as long as the end results are good. Although I do obtain some satisfaction that my Skoda shares a few components with Audi :)

snaarman
3rd July 2012, 10:29 AM
Ah. That explains a lot.

When I zoom in to my E-M5 raw files, I see there is a tiny little "s" in the corner of each pixel.

Ross the fiddler
3rd July 2012, 10:33 AM
Ah. That explains a lot.

When I zoom in to my E-M5 raw files, I see there is a tiny little "s" in the corner of each pixel.

*laugh Yeah, I like that one. *clap

StephenL
3rd July 2012, 10:42 AM
Ah. That explains a lot.

That's not an "S". It's a "5", as in E-M5.

When I had Canon DSLRs they just had a speck of dirt in the corner of each pixel ....

Wreckdiver
3rd July 2012, 11:10 AM
It would be nice to see this sensor fitted into the next :rolleyes: FT body (E-7?). Add Full HD and I would be in the market for one.

Steve

Ross the fiddler
3rd July 2012, 11:47 AM
It would be nice to see this sensor fitted into the next :rolleyes: FT body (E-7?). Add Full HD and I would be in the market for one.

Steve

Maybe when they've sold enough E-M5's then they sell you an E7. ;)

dko22
9th July 2012, 06:34 PM
Over on the BIG forum one or two denialists still seem to be ignoring the fact that, even with the clumsy translation, Sony and E-M5 do appear to be in the same sentence. But this statement was later confirmed in a press conference and folk who actually know Japanese (because basically they were Japanese) confirmed that this is what was meant.

Although I also don't really care who made the sensor, the incredible amount of speculation meant the issue was difficult to ignore. And personally I was always rather sceptical that it was a Panasonic sensor quite simply because why would they give Olympus a significantly better sensor than even the GH2 -- I mean the highlight treatment in particular is in a totally different class. I think the whole thing's good for m43 to be honest becuase either Panny will have to up its game or also use a Sony sensor which would be quite hard I think! And, of course, it means that almost certainly that for loyalists to the mirrored variety, the E7 should get the sensor the system has deserved for some time.

David

brianvickers
9th July 2012, 09:50 PM
It is interesting to know who made the sensor for the very reason that comments have been made regarding Panasonic not being likely to share their best sensor...and by knowing the manufacturer you can track their progress and know what to expect. I cant imagine Sony would have been happy to release this sensor to Olympus if it out performed their own camera had they used the same format....this could be a great combination where Sony and Olympus do not compete directly and therefore share technology to mutual advantage.

Ross the fiddler
9th July 2012, 11:36 PM
Over on the BIG forum one or two denialists still seem to be ignoring the fact that, even with the clumsy translation, Sony and E-M5 do appear to be in the same sentence. But this statement was later confirmed in a press conference and folk who actually know Japanese (because basically they were Japanese) confirmed that this is what was meant.

Although I also don't really care who made the sensor, the incredible amount of speculation meant the issue was difficult to ignore. And personally I was always rather sceptical that it was a Panasonic sensor quite simply because why would they give Olympus a significantly better sensor than even the GH2 -- I mean the highlight treatment in particular is in a totally different class. I think the whole thing's good for m43 to be honest becuase either Panny will have to up its game or also use a Sony sensor which would be quite hard I think! And, of course, it means that almost certainly that for loyalists to the mirrored variety, the E7 should get the sensor the system has deserved for some time.

David

There are always the sceptics & there were people that believed the earth was flat too & they took some convincing it was round. ;)

I certainly hope an E7 is produced & with this new sensor (as well as other updates & additions), not that I will be buying one, but I'm sure others would appreciate it.

Ian
10th July 2012, 08:39 AM
Stephen may not but I do if only to be proven right.:)

I know most things I post here are mostly forgot or ignored but it's nice to be right sometimes. ;)

I posted this on the FTU site in January.

To which Ian replied

Now I just need to know which hat Ian is going to eat.:D

I'm scouring the Net for edible hats - even recipes for edible hats :D

In fact, while I was in Budapest last week a street vendor tried to sell me a hat made from dried fungi (some kind of tree fungus) - maybe I should have taken a bite out of it! :eek:

Of course, I was also one of the first (maybe the first?!) to subsequently break the news that the sensor was not a Panasonic (basically because someone at Panasonic told me it wasn't one of theirs) - see:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/blog.php?b=532

But on 'other' forums I was everything from a charlatan to whatever for daring to suggest this! :)

Ian

StephenL
10th July 2012, 10:37 AM
Knowing whose sensor it is isn't as useful to me as knowing who else is using/going to use it.

I concede that by those criteria it is interesting to know who made it. ;)

But remember that the sensor is only a part of the equation - just as important is the control system that it links into.

Ulfric M Douglas
10th July 2012, 10:49 AM
Am I the only one who thought it was a Canon?

Ian
10th July 2012, 11:39 AM

I think so! :D

Ian

dko22
10th July 2012, 11:52 AM
I did see the odd vote for Canon though not very many. Early on, Sony were behind Toshiba and Aptina in the speculation stakes, with most still assuming a Panasonic G3 variant as was stated in many reviews including DPR and Amateur Photographer (one of the stupidest reviews of all -what has happened to this once reputable journal in the reviews field?). When the camera became available, more and more became sceptical it could be a Panny and Sony was increasingly mentioned. That's my overall impression --fortunately I don't read every post on every forum about sensor speculation.

Next bit of fun is the DxO ratings I guess. Once that's finally announced, it may be that we'll actually have to start taking some photos which would be awfully boring ;)

Ian
10th July 2012, 01:32 PM
I did see the odd vote for Canon though not very many. Early on, Sony were behind Toshiba and Aptina in the speculation stakes, with most still assuming a Panasonic G3 variant as was stated in many reviews including DPR and Amateur Photographer (one of the stupidest reviews of all -what has happened to this once reputable journal in the reviews field?). When the camera became available, more and more became sceptical it could be a Panny and Sony was increasingly mentioned. That's my overall impression --fortunately I don't read every post on every forum about sensor speculation.

Next bit of fun is the DxO ratings I guess. Once that's finally announced, it may be that we'll actually have to start taking some photos which would be awfully boring ;)

I'm confident that DxO will provide the final evidence, if it's really needed. They are very clever people.

Ian