PDA

View Full Version : First big discount on E-M5

Olybirder
29th June 2012, 01:49 PM
I see Amazon are advertising the E-M5 and 12-50mm lens for 1073 today (a discount of 77.) They are also showing the black version as 'in stock'. This is the first real discount I have seen on the camera. I wonder if other retailers will follow suit?

Ron

Ross the fiddler
29th June 2012, 02:06 PM
I see Amazon are advertising the E-M5 and 12-50mm lens for 1073 today (a discount of 77.) They are also showing the black version as 'in stock'. This is the first real discount I have seen on the camera. I wonder if other retailers will follow suit?

Ron

That sounds promising. I was very pleased that I got mine through a web seller (http://www.digidirect.com.au/slr_cameras/olympus/olympus_om-d_e-m5_micro_four_thirds_camera_including_12-50mm_lens_-_silver) with a shop front & they were buying theirs through a wholesale group of Australian stock & passing on the camera kit at a nice discount ($162 off retail). I ordered it at the end of April & got it 5 weeks later & it was certainly worth the wait (not that I had any choice in that).

Loup Garou
29th June 2012, 04:39 PM
I had seen the black one advertised at inder 1100 for the kit last month but cannot recall where. I was not paying attention because I wanted the silver camera.

OM USer
29th June 2012, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty certain that yesterday amazon UK had the black body plus 12-50mm at 999, remarkable as it was the same price as body only (there was a drop down list to select colour and lens or no lens and both had the same price against them). It was an Amazon order fulfilled by a third party company but not a marketplace item. Alas the offer is not available any more. Alas, again, as I have mine and don't want two.

Has the initial demand now dried up? Are Olympus now having to actually go out and sell the camera?

Loup Garou
29th June 2012, 06:28 PM
I do not think that the demand has dried-up. Several dealers are waiting for stock to arrive with a waiting list of interested customers. What you are seeing is just a natural progression of things - some non-regular dealers buy more than they need hoping to sell at a profit but that is not always easy even with popular items if they do not have an established customer base.