PDA

View Full Version : The Grip -- to keep or not to keep...

dko22
28th June 2012, 01:53 PM
Grip finally arrived this morning. Original idea was to offset some of the cost of the OM-D by selling this. After playing with it for an hour or so, I'm just not quite sure. Certainly it gives new options as to how to hold the camera but they add 50% to the weight and bulk and markedly reduce the cuteness factor. I can certainly imagine both bits being useful and on the whole it's pretty well designed. Now that most people who applied for the freebee have probably got it by now, could I ask just an either/or question

1. Those who kept it and have used it fairly extensively, give me one reason why I will regret it if I sell it

2. If you didn't keep it, why not?

many thanks,
David

StephenL
28th June 2012, 02:00 PM
Kept it, but normally tend to only use the first part, which is damned near glued to the camera. An hour's not long enough to make up your mind, so if you sell it now you'll end up thinking "if only...".

CJJE
28th June 2012, 02:10 PM
Not sure how much you'd get by selling the grip - perhaps 150 or so? I find the first part very useful and leave it fixed to the body. It makes the E-M5 as easy to hold with a wrist strap as my old Lumix G1. I've used portrait-format grips in the past when I was into studio photography and camera club competitions, but have retired from this now. I doubt I'll need to have the extra battery capacity on hand either (and if I did then I'd probably just carry a second charged battery to slip in). The added battery box part makes the E-M5 too bulky in my opinion so it will probably just sit in the cupboard.

Chris

snaarman
28th June 2012, 02:15 PM
Kept it, but normally tend to only use the first part, which is damned near glued to the camera. An hour's not long enough to make up your mind, so if you sell it now you'll end up thinking "if only...".

Kept it.. Like what he said :)

David Morison
28th June 2012, 02:37 PM
Not got mine yet but the main reasons why I would hope to keep it is

1. The extra battery capacity, fed up with running out just as an interesting creature appears
2. The extra programmable buttons - although still not enough
3. The need I have to hold something substantial.

David

The Technician
28th June 2012, 03:19 PM
I kept it, and I have the first part attached all the time, I carried it in my hand all day on a recent trip to Edinburgh zoo and it was a pure joy to carry even with the ZD70-300 attached. *yes

dko22
28th June 2012, 05:17 PM
thanks for the replies so far. I guess I should give it a little time. I don't suppose it will lose hugely in value over the next month or so. As a couple have wisely warned, "don't sell only to regret later"! It's interesting that many seem to only use the front grip whereas to me, the vertical grip is arguably at least as useful -- I suspect one reason why I have usually taken relatively few portrait mode shots with most cameras is quite simply that it's harder to hold a camera in this position. But of course you are then adding to the bulk.

David

OM USer
28th June 2012, 08:15 PM
I don't like either part of the grip. With the landscape portion it makes it difficult to reach the dials and top buttons even though you do have a firmer grip (why no extra buttons like the portrait section?). I can see that there are occassions when I might want this portion though. With the portrait section the whole camera looks ugly and unwieldy. If I wanted a bigger camera I would have gone for the E5. As it is, small is beautiful for me. I may not have bought the grip (would have preferred the FL-600R flash) but, having got the grip I won't get rid if it.

bredman
29th June 2012, 04:39 AM
Kept it. I keep the first part on all the time. And for the same reasons given above -- as well as the fact i tend to cover a lot of miles and like to carry it for periods just in my right hand. Therefore with larger/heavier metal lenses on, there won't be any issues due to the fact the camera's leather can get a bit slippery.

Bikie John
29th June 2012, 09:26 AM
I find that the "landscape" part of the grip makes it easier to shoot in portrait mode as it makes the camera so much easier to hold. Even with the extra battery portion attached I often forget that it has an extra release button and instinctively use the one on the landscape grip.

Ciao ... John

dko22
30th June 2012, 08:19 AM
I don't like either part of the grip. With the landscape portion it makes it difficult to reach the dials and top buttons even though you do have a firmer grip (why no extra buttons like the portrait section?). I can see that there are occasions when I might want this portion though. With the portrait section the whole camera looks ugly and unwieldy. If I wanted a bigger camera I would have gone for the E5. As it is, small is beautiful for me. I may not have bought the grip (would have preferred the FL-600R flash) but, having got the grip I won't get rid if it.

Yes --I'm not sure how often I'll use the grip as me it makes sense mainly when you have the whole thing as it certainly helps with portraits. But it does rob the camera of its beauty. On the other hand, you don't need to use it, unlike with Canikon Pro cameras. I'm inclined to say, like yourself, that the FL-600R would have been just as useful, even though I'm a somewhat unwilling flash user in general.

David

dko22
30th June 2012, 08:25 AM
Kept it. I keep the first part on all the time. And for the same reasons given above -- as well as the fact i tend to cover a lot of miles and like to carry it for periods just in my right hand. Therefore with larger/heavier metal lenses on, there won't be any issues due to the fact the camera's leather can get a bit slippery.

I always use a neck strap when taking photos and always have the camera in some sort of case when walking. But if, for some reason, you need to hold the camera only in the right hand then certainly the first part makes it much more secure

dko22
13th July 2012, 12:30 PM
actually I'm finding that the grip also seems to give better stabilisation as well. Never got a sharp shot at 3/4 sec. before (with UWA) and in the limited tests so far, I think I'm probably getting an extra stop of stabilisation. That's probably a combination of the excellent grips and the extra heft. Has anyone else found that?

Anyway, keeping the grip for sure!

David

DekHog
13th July 2012, 01:48 PM
Keep it! IMHO it transforms the handing of the camera, even just using the landscape part of it - I've had grips in the past and hated all of them, but to me this just delivers in every way, and being able to use one or both parts is just a huge bonus..... I don't own any long lenses, but would imagine it's invaluable if using something like the 100-300mm for balance.