PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use Eye-Fi?

SteelD
27th June 2012, 06:53 PM
I was just wondering what the user experience is like with this. Is it something that's a real life-changer or is it just a gimmick?

scubie
20th July 2012, 09:54 AM
Hi, Yes I use eyefi card with my EM5 to my Ipad. It works really well and is loved by the models, they can see what we are doing wrong and hopefully change something.I normally shoot Raw + small jpeg which transfers to the Ipad.
I've used it with my E5 for the last year or so, sometimes it shuts down and needs restart.
It does tend to run the battery down.
Doug

FlatSix
20th July 2012, 01:45 PM
Hi David,

I bought an Eye-Fi card few months ago to transfer images to iPad/iPhone/PC for quick preview and sharing.
After a lot of troubles, mainly PC crashes during card configuration, I was able to activate the card and dowload images from E-5 and XZ-1 to PC and iPad through a network but not in direct mode, which was my main goal and IMHO the most useful mode.
The customer care was very collaborative, but after dozens of emails and two weeks of usuccesfull tries, now my Eye-Fi is only a very expensive orange SD card *ohwell
Maybe just bad luck, incompatibility with my hardware or maybe I'm not smart enough... who knows?
Around the forums, it seems a quite common problem, mailny with iOS devices.
In any case, to use this card you must register on Eye-Fi web site and every time you want to configure it or change the connection mode you need an Internet connection to Eye-Fi servers and IMO this reduces a lot the usability of the card.

al_kaholik
26th July 2012, 07:53 AM
Had one in my Ricoh when I was using SD. Very good tool and works well. Quick enough too.

belfastbiker
16th May 2014, 07:26 PM
Just got an eye-fi Mobi 16GB for use with iPad and iPhone, with Photosmith and Eyefi app, and my experience is this: Dreadful.

Been trying for about an hour earlier unsuccessfully, and it kinda started working tonight. I have to manually restart the Eyefi network about once a minute. I also have to switch iPad access to my home network off completely.

I'm strongly considering other options and getting a refund. Software shouldn't be this finicky today.

scubie
16th May 2014, 10:17 PM
Sorry to see you are having probs. I must say I have never used the mobi card, I just use standard 4 gig card. I think before you junk it you should try " direct connect" and only use "shutter snitch" dont use tha eyfi app, its has never worked for me. If you turn of camera you will have to goto wifi settings on ipad to reconnect, just make sure you turn off auto shut down on you camera!!

belfastbiker
16th May 2014, 11:06 PM
Yeah, ditched the eyefi app, it's less than awful.

Got it working for a minute or so at a time using Photosmith.

Already arranged refund, and ordered the Transcend Wifi card - doesn't work with Photosmith yet, but it appears they're making that happen at some stage. Transcend comes with some very easy Shoot and View options, basically easy tethering.

If I get Shuttersnitch, that'll work with the transcend, and will import directly into Photosmith...

belfastbiker
16th May 2014, 11:07 PM
Those of you who have this working, if you have it in small JPG transfer mode, how long does a pic take to arrive?

scubie
17th May 2014, 06:02 AM
Hi,
It will take a few shots before it starts working and then using Raw+small jpeg, The small takes maybe 1 sec, raw stays on the card. Make sure the ipad is fully charged! I found that if you have both shuttersnitch and eyfi app it won't work, dump the eyfi app.! What is "photosmith?? I've never heard of it.
I've been using eyfi card for about 3/4 yrs, before it was available here in England and once got it all working its been ultra reliable.
Origonaly had to use a battery operated router but since direct mode came in has been perfect, I use it in studio all the time, models love it!!
Just make sure camera doesn't auto shut down as it's annoying having to go back into settings on ipad and reset direct mode!
Doug

belfastbiker
17th May 2014, 09:58 AM
Hi,
What is "photosmith?? I've never heard of it.
Doug

photosmithapp dot com (sorry, don't have enough posts to link!)

Only just got it, testing fully today. But it allows you to import your JPGs, sort, label, rate, flag, tag, star, put in keywords etc. Also has sharing to cloud flickr, FB, dropbox, etc

Works with RAW if you've got a big enough iPad. But I don't so I'll be importing JPG's today, sorting them out, on site and when I sync my RAWs from camera + my sorted JPGs from Photosmith all to my home Mac, it SHOULD end up in light room with RAWs which have all the sorting I did on the iPad....

Wirelessly only Eyefi and some wireless grips currently supported, but looks like Transcend, Flashair etc in progress.

Graham_of_Rainham
17th May 2014, 05:15 PM
The FlashAir card from Toshiba works very well. JPGs are downloaded in a second or two, with RAW files taking 26s.

I can WiFi transfer files to iPhone, iPad or Laptop.

*chr

byegad
17th May 2014, 06:52 PM
I use two Eye-Fi cards, in my EPL5 and EPM1, a Flashair card in my EP3 and have a Panny G6 with Wi-Fi capability. The Eye-Fi is the easiest to use with the photos usually appearing on my Nexus7 in my bag within seconds of taking a shot. Occasionally I have to go into the Eye-Fi app in the Nexus and select the card before it loads up the photos, but 9 times out of 10, or more, it works without prompting. The Flashair needs me to select the Flashair app every time I want to load photos, it then loads all of the shots I've taken so far. The Panny needs app selection every time and will only load 10 shots at a time, needing me to work through the load. For me Eye-Fi is brilliant and loads directly both when no network or several networks are available. Setting up the first one took 10 minutes and the second 2 minutes.