PDA

View Full Version : GigaPan Epic Pro for E5?

Cathrine Stephansen
26th June 2012, 08:44 PM
Hi, all

I've seen several great images with GIgaPan Epic Pro taken with the E5,
among them Dogcow's images and others' on the GigaPan website.

However, I contacted GigaPan regarding a cable for the E5, and they say they will not be supporting the E5. Does anyone know hoe to fix this, we obviously have to do some MacGyvering here?

Dogcow
27th June 2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Cathrine,

I made my own cable and here is how:

I posted the schematics for the Oly remotes some time ago here on the e-group forum (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13322&page=2)

You can use that as a reference for the cable for your GigaPan.

The hardest part is to get hold of an Oly connector, but there are several options to get one:
- you can buy a cheap Chinese remote and sacrify it for the cable
or (and this is what I did)
- buy a Hahnel remote (the HRO 280 (http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=dslrremotecontrols&id=18&pId=18))

Which gives you both the Oly remote cables (CB-1 and UC-1) with a 2,5mm stereo jack.

I chose the last option because that gives me both an interface to my E-5 as well as my E-P1/E-M5.

The only thing that you have to do is to make a connection between the Canon remote which is supplied with the GigaPan, which is also a 2,5mm stereo jack and the Hahnel (or the cable from your cheap Chinaman)

So in my case I took two 2,5mm stereo female plugs and wired them 1:1 to each other.

http://360vr.nl/Pics/P4026344.jpg

Now you need the last step:
Because the Oly needs the focus to be active when the shutter is pressed, you will have to mimic this by wiring a diode on the Epic Pro side of the cable.
I took a 1N4007 (mainly because I had a spare one ;-) and made a shunt between the focus and the shutter point of the female stereo plug in a way that the current can flow from shutter->remote but not the other way around.

So the schematics are:

http://360vr.nl/Pics/cable.jpg

Is this clear enough? Please don't hesitate to ask if there are any questions left.

Good luck.

Hope to see some GigaPans from your hand soon!

Cheers,

Karel

Cathrine Stephansen
3rd July 2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks Karel! I will have to study this more closely to understand, I'm not much good with electric stuff. However, my son is going to electrician school in the autumn, maybe he can make me one... :D

Or could I pay you to make me one? I'm serious. *yes

Dogcow
4th July 2012, 02:29 PM
Hi Cathrine,

No problem to make one for you (that is, if your junior allows me :D )

And it won't be the costs either. Raw material is < 1 €, so just poke me if you want one. I'll sent you a tested cable.

*chr

Karel

Cathrine Stephansen
12th July 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi Cathrine,

No problem to make one for you (that is, if your junior allows me :D )

And it won't be the costs either. Raw material is < 1 €, so just poke me if you want one. I'll sent you a tested cable.

*chr

Karel

My Hähnel just arrived today, can I send it to you for modification?

Dogcow
16th July 2012, 04:49 PM
Hi Cathrine

Sorry for my late reply. I was away for the weekend with my old Volvo 'enjoying' the rainy weather... :(

No need to send me your cable. I will make an adaptor cable for you.
I'll get the components tomorrow and make and test it asap.

Details will follow via e-mail.

Cathrine Stephansen
17th July 2012, 06:11 PM
Karel! You are the best!

O:)
*HE)*HE)*HE)

Benedict
17th July 2012, 06:40 PM
Sometimes I cannot believe the helpfulness of some of our forum members. Long may it continue to be the envy of some other forums. :)

Cathrine Stephansen
17th July 2012, 11:22 PM
Sometimes I cannot believe the helpfulness of some of our forum members. Long may it continue to be the envy of some other forums. :)

Ain't that the truth! Karel is such a gentleman, helping a damsel in distress! *chr

Cathrine Stephansen
17th July 2012, 11:23 PM
And he is a real MacGyver!

Dogcow
18th July 2012, 05:48 PM
The cable is on its way, Cathrine

Please check your email for the details

MacKarel :p

Cathrine Stephansen
19th July 2012, 01:48 PM
Oooohhhh! I hope these aren't totally inappropriate: *HE)*HE)*HE)

Dogcow
20th July 2012, 07:28 AM
:B)

*upsided