PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the OM-D?

SteelD
26th June 2012, 06:55 PM
I'm really looking for quick and simple recommendations on setting up this camera for street photography. OK, I have a manual but don't have hours to spend deciphering it and trying out every option. I'm rather thinking that there is so much on this camera that I'm likely to miss out on some of the key features that aren't enabled by default.

Thanks

StephenL
26th June 2012, 07:01 PM
Best thing you can do is hunt and peck in this section of the forum. As you've found,mthere are so many variations I bet that no two people here have the same settings. I find ne ones every time I read the forum!

Also, DP Review has a quick setup guide, as has Petta Potka and Andy Chan.

nigelwr
26th June 2012, 07:01 PM
Try this http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

Nigel

SteelD
26th June 2012, 07:32 PM
Try this http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9115179666/user-guide-getting-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5

Thanks Nigel. I've already looked at that one but got lost straight away. It said "To enable the Super Control Panel, you need to go to the '[Camera] Control Settings' option in Custom Menu, section D." Now, if only I knew where Custom Menu is... :(

StephenL
26th June 2012, 07:43 PM
Press "menu". Scroll down to the gearwheel icon. Press the right arrow button. Custom menu D is the fourth one down.

SteelD
26th June 2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks Stephen - I've now set it to ON but how do I call it up when I want it?

DekHog
26th June 2012, 07:56 PM
Thanks Stephen - I've now set it to ON but how do I call it up when I want it?

Just press the 'OK' button on the back of the camera....

SteelD
26th June 2012, 08:00 PM
I feel an immense feeling of frustration coming on - all sorts of icons are appearing on the screen and I've no idea what they mean. I am dreading the thought of accidentally hitting some button in error when out shooting and missing the shot through the camera trying to be too clever and sophisticated. Where is the SIMPLE mode button?

DekHog
26th June 2012, 08:42 PM
SIMPLE MODE = Turn the dial on the top to 'iAuto' and it's as close to idiot-proof as it gets - it might not always focus where you want depending on what you're shooting, but will do well most of the time.

Most of us on here have owned and used Olympus cameras for years. The menu system hasn't really changed over the years either, and I'd say all of us have spent either hours or days setting up our OM-D - if you're not prepared to spend the considerable amount of time it will take to learn it, you'll never get the best out of it.....

snaarman
26th June 2012, 09:08 PM
Yes, you are not short of options. My E620 had 106 menu options, and yes I did go through them all working out what I wanted the camera to do. Having done that once, I wrote them down in an excel spread sheet :)

Many of them are set once and forget, or leave at default thank goodness.

As to the E-M5 with perhaps 125 entries, I did the same process, and used up one whole battery in the tinkering process. Even after 4 years with Oly DSLRs I have only just learnt how to use the Reset/Myset memories :(

Pete

SteelD
27th June 2012, 04:32 AM
It's my first Olympus so I'm not familiar with their terminology. What I tend to do with my cameras is to use the fully auto mode when I want to use face detection and then use P mode where I have the camera set up to focus on the centre focus point. That what I can quickly switch between the camera doing the clever stuff and me being more in control.

I think I have most things set up now. All I need now is to find the setting so that image review is on the rear LCD only and not in the EVF. Oh, and I've got some green touch-sensitive icon appearing in the bottom LH corner of the LCD that toggles between three diferent forms that I can't find any information on in the manual.

StephenL
27th June 2012, 09:26 AM
The best thing to do is experiment, and be prepared to use up batteries while you do. I still get a feeling of immense satisfaction and wonderment when I press a button on the camera and it does (roughly) what I expect it to do!

Don't forget, that as well as the printed "lets get started" manual, you have a more detailed, if more frustrating, manual on one of the CDs which came with the camera. My tip is to load this onto your computer then you can do a search for anything you need help with.

CJJE
27th June 2012, 01:43 PM
David Busch is reported to be writing a user guide for the E-M5, to be issued in July, which should take you through the basics. (It'll probably be a rewrite of his Olympus Pen book.)

Chris

jamsa
27th June 2012, 04:01 PM
David Busch is reported to be writing a user guide for the E-M5, to be issued in July, which should take you through the basics. (It'll probably be a rewrite of his Olympus Pen book.)

Chris

Yippeeee good news all round then as Im not browsing pages on my pc...

SteelD
27th June 2012, 08:11 PM
I've got some green touch-sensitive icon appearing in the bottom LH corner of the LCD that toggles between three diferent forms that I can't find any information on in the manual.
I think I've worked that one out - one press turns off the touch-sensitive screen, another press makes it focus where you touch, and another makes it focus and take the shot. I couldn't see where that is described in the manual - I'll have to take another look.

Sorry if it's obvious to you but I'm still learning and the manual doesn't seem to be an ideal learning tool.

peak4
27th June 2012, 08:31 PM
David, Page 27 of the manual, "Using The Touch Screen" but you have to enable it first as on Page 93 Cog "k" - Utility - Touch Screen Settings

SteelD
27th June 2012, 09:52 PM
David, Page 27 of the manual, "Using The Touch Screen" but you have to enable it first as on Page 93 Cog "k" - Utility - Touch Screen Settings
Thanks Bill. I went through the manual several times but that page didn't register for some reason. I still think that there's a place for a proper printed manual especially for a camera at this price point.

StephenL
28th June 2012, 07:07 AM
I still think that there's a place for a proper printed manual especially for a camera at this price point.

Absolutely! Unfortunately, it would need to be written by a different technical author than the current one to make immediate sense. It (may) be fine once you're used to it, but it does take some understanding.

SteelD
28th June 2012, 07:23 AM
I think I've cracked most of the configuration to make the camera work the way I am comfortable with.

I have a few questions remaining:
The Highlight/Shadow control affects JPEGs only I presume and not the RAW data so that I can use Viewer 2 on my computer to post-process the RAW files to my hearts content. Is that right?
It's not possible to have post-capture image display on the LCD only and not the EVF so I always see the live scene through the EVF as on a real SLR. Is that right?
As the image playback button is small and adjacent to another button, is it possible to reassign playback to one of the other buttons?
Thanks

StephenL
28th June 2012, 07:40 AM
1) correct

2) no - mine only displays on LCD. I have it set to auto-display fo zero seconds so I manually choose to view images.

3) no, I don't think so