PDA

View Full Version : Full camera RAW and JPEG samples using the new Olympus m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8

Four Thirds User
25th June 2012, 06:40 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/388/P6219797.jpg
Glorious bokeh with the new m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8

Although we were able to get our hands on an engineering sample of the new m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 last month (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/05/exclusive_handson_preview_of_the_new_olympus_mzuik o_75mm_f18.php), we have now been able to shoot sample images using lenses that Olympus is content to allow us to publish in full. We have a gallery of camera RAW and JPEG shots for you to download.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/06/full_camera_raw_and_jpeg_samples_using_the_new_oly mpus_mzuiko_75mm_f18.php)

Ian
25th June 2012, 06:51 AM
I hope the example shots in the article clearly show how the 75mm f/1.8 differs from the already excellent 45mm f/1.8 - it's all about that background blur. If you thought it was good in the 45mm, just see what you can do with the 75mm.

Ian

Zuiko
25th June 2012, 08:54 AM
Warning! Models are going to hate this lens, be sure to use it with a soft focus filter - or maybe reduce clarity in processing or use aggressive noise reduction even though it's not needed, just to smear some of the detail. Otherwise it's all too sharp and revealing! :eek:

OlyPaul
25th June 2012, 09:09 AM
I know it is a great lens optically and in build quality, and I know if it were in FT mount or I was into mtf I would be lusting after one for head and shoulder portraits or full/half length ones where the background was far away.

But as a portrait shooter, for half length portraits as here it just does not throw the background out of focus enough for me, but I would work around that easily enough.:)

Ian
25th June 2012, 09:36 AM
I know it is a great lens optically and in build quality, and I know if it were in FT mount or I was into mtf I would be lusting after one for head and shoulder portraits or full/half length ones where the background was far away.

But as a portrait shooter, for half length portraits as here it just does not throw the background out of focus enough for me, but I would work around that easily enough.:)

OK, well - I'm not sure I agree, Paul :) Remember that the shot in first post of this thread is deliberately not tightly framed in order to show the background and so allow a comparison with the 45mm. Normally the framing would be tighter and so the camera closer to the subject and so the background considerably more blurred, like this (uncropped):

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P6219780.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/48316)

Using vertical framing, I could have got closer.

Ian

theMusicMan
25th June 2012, 09:47 AM
You know the mockup by Olympus that is inside a glass cabinet and is an E-3 cut in half...? Well it could very well have been cut in half with an image from the Oly 50mm F2, or either of these two superb new lenses they are all that sharp!

What superb definition, Ian. What a lens!

snaarman
25th June 2012, 10:13 AM
Take it away. I'm not looking. I'm not listening. Fingers in ears. Laa Laa Laa :(

DekHog
25th June 2012, 10:59 AM
Hmm, I tend to agree with Paul on this one regarding the amount of background blur - not different enough from the 45mm, especially for the price premium required. Fabulous lens, but pretty much scratched off my wish list until I see what the Panny 35-100mm can do....

brianvickers
25th June 2012, 11:13 AM
Stunning in my opinion...I want one!
I think there is a bit of a disparity regarding prices of primes....why is the 12mm so much more than the 45 when the 45 is at least as good, if its because different focal lengths cost more then how come the 12 and 75 are similarly priced and the 45 about a third of the price....I still want one.
However the bokeh compares the 75 is a vastly different focal length than 45. just want a x1.4 or x2 teleconverter now.

OlyPaul
25th June 2012, 11:27 AM
OK, well - I'm not sure I agree, Paul :) Remember that the shot in first post of this thread is deliberately not tightly framed in order to show the background and so allow a comparison with the 45mm. Normally the framing would be tighter and so the camera closer to the subject and so the background considerably more blurred, like this (uncropped):

Ian

Not sure what's not to agree about Ian, I said it would be superb for head and shoulder shot's which is what you have posted (compared to a half length shot from the waist up) and a superb shot it is. :)

Don't get me wrong the 50mm f2 lens is my favourite and most used lens and especially for portraits and this one would be even better. But I know in reality it is a 100mm f4.5 lens on 35mm, just has the the 75mm f1.8 is a 150mm f4 lens on 35mm and it is aperture and focal length that has a effect on blurring backgrounds everything else being equal , a 150mm f4 equivalent would be pushing it to really blur backgrounds on half to full length portraits, but I would still love one.:)

Graham_of_Rainham
25th June 2012, 02:53 PM
As one of the few, VERY fortunate enough to have used this lens on the 21st, I am left in little doubt that it will very quickly become a true classic.

Much of the image quality, has that look that is produced by only the very best lenses. While it will be subjected to endless scrutiny and analysis by the reviewers, my own "real world" assessment found it to be simply superb.

Thanks to Mark, letting me get my hands on it, I can see yet another future purchase... :cool:

OlyPaul
11th July 2012, 06:44 PM
Ian just quickly processed a couple of you raw images in Capture One 6 Pro, must say I am very impressed at the results. I hope the 45mm f1.8 I have just ordered is as good.

Ian
11th July 2012, 06:52 PM
Ian just quickly processed a couple of you raw images in Capture One 6 Pro, must say I am very impressed at the results. I hope the 45mm f1.8 I have just ordered is as good.

You saw the 45mm samples mixed in with the 75s, I trust?

Ian

OlyPaul
11th July 2012, 06:54 PM
You saw the 45mm samples mixed in with the 75s, I trust?

Ian

Nope just the 75mm ones that I downloaded and processed, will go and have another look.:)

OlyPaul
11th July 2012, 07:01 PM
Scratch that I downloaded a 75mm and 45mm one and has I was impressed with the processed 45mm one when I thought it was the 75mm then I'm sure I will like the 45mm.:D