PDA

View Full Version : Imager AF problem

ScubaRoy
18th June 2008, 07:49 PM
Hi

I've just got my E-520. I am trying to get Imager AF working and it keeps showing that it is using Hybrid AF instead. The manual says that I-AF is only available with compatible lenses however I have tried the ZD 17.5-45, 40-150 ED, 12-60 SWD and 70-300 ED all without success. Surely at least one of these must be compatible!!

I have checked for firmware updates for the 12-60 but it is the latest version. I can't be bothered to check all the lenses at the moment but guessed that as the 12-60 was the highest spec one it should work.

I have emailed Oly regarding this and asked where I can find the list of compatible lenses - the manual just says to check on the website!!

Has anyone managed to get I-AF working on a 520? If so then what lens are you using?

If you have a 520 can you see if you can get it to work just to check that I am not going barmy.

Roy

Ian
19th June 2008, 01:43 AM
Hi

I've just got my E-520. I am trying to get Imager AF working and it keeps showing that it is using Hybrid AF instead. The manual says that I-AF is only available with compatible lenses however I have tried the ZD 17.5-45, 40-150 ED, 12-60 SWD and 70-300 ED all without success. Surely at least one of these must be compatible!!

I have checked for firmware updates for the 12-60 but it is the latest version. I can't be bothered to check all the lenses at the moment but guessed that as the 12-60 was the highest spec one it should work.

I have emailed Oly regarding this and asked where I can find the list of compatible lenses - the manual just says to check on the website!!

Has anyone managed to get I-AF working on a 520? If so then what lens are you using?

If you have a 520 can you see if you can get it to work just to check that I am not going barmy.

Roy

Of the lenses you have listed, I think only the 40-150 (assuming it is the new compact f/4-5.6 version) is Imager AF compatible. But you need the latest firmware. The 70-300 might be - but I'm not optimistic.

Ian

ScubaRoy
19th June 2008, 05:27 PM
Of the lenses you have listed, I think only the 40-150 (assuming it is the new compact f/4-5.6 version) is Imager AF compatible. But you need the latest firmware. The 70-300 might be - but I'm not optimistic.

Ian

Hi Ian

Thanks for the info.

The reply from Oly is:

It only works with the ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6, the ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6, and the new ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm 1:2.8 “pancake” lens.

I upgraded the 40-150 to v1.2 firmware and it does, indeed, work. So I have getting on for £1000 worth of lenses that aren't compatible!!

I did ask Oly to give me the URL fro the compaibilty chart but they failed to answer the question. I will ask it again plus when they propose to make the rest of my investment compatible.

You may be wondering why I am so interested in I-AF. I plan to take the 520 underwater and live view is an added bonus. I-AF gives benefits of reduced shutter lag. Underwater you only need wide angle and macro lenses - with good visibility being 30m a tele lens is just not needed. The lenses I would be likely to use would be the 12-60, 50mm macro and/or the soon to be released 9-18. None of which are compatible.

If I get any further news from Oly I will update it here.

Roy

Ian
20th June 2008, 07:09 AM
Hi Ian

Thanks for the info.

The reply from Oly is:

It only works with the ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6, the ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6, and the new ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm 1:2.8 “pancake” lens.

I upgraded the 40-150 to v1.2 firmware and it does, indeed, work. So I have getting on for £1000 worth of lenses that aren't compatible!!

I did ask Oly to give me the URL fro the compaibilty chart but they failed to answer the question. I will ask it again plus when they propose to make the rest of my investment compatible.

You may be wondering why I am so interested in I-AF. I plan to take the 520 underwater and live view is an added bonus. I-AF gives benefits of reduced shutter lag. Underwater you only need wide angle and macro lenses - with good visibility being 30m a tele lens is just not needed. The lenses I would be likely to use would be the 12-60, 50mm macro and/or the soon to be released 9-18. None of which are compatible.

If I get any further news from Oly I will update it here.

Roy

I-AF's main benefits are uninterrupted viewing during AF, plus pinpoint accuracy as the imager sensor is used. But there are significant disadvantages - the focus is slower and less sensitive than conventional phase detect AF and of course there is limited lens compatibility.

However, Olympus does have the hybrid system and I think this works very well, allowing uninterrupted view AF to close to the point of focus lock. There is a little lag when you press the shutter home, but as the AF is almost there, the lag is minimised.

Ian

ScubaRoy
20th June 2008, 04:20 PM
The latest reply from Oly is the URL. This is the camera details page. At the bottom it states:

Full contrast AF performance is available with new Olympus lenses including the ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6, the ZUIKO DIGITAL 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6, and the new ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm 1:2.8 “pancake” lens. A free firmware update can be downloaded via Olympus Master or Studio software from the Olympus homepage to enable this feature for lenses that were purchased previously.

1) this does not state that all other lenses are compatible
2) it does state that a firware update is available for the other lenses

I stil don't have any indication when the firmware update will be available for my other lenses.

I am a pedant on wording - it's a pity Oly's marketing department aren't!

Roy

Ian
20th June 2008, 05:56 PM
The latest reply from Oly is the URL. This is the camera details page. At the bottom it states:

1) this does not state that all other lenses are compatible
2) it does state that a firware update is available for the other lenses

I stil don't have any indication when the firmware update will be available for my other lenses.

I am a pedant on wording - it's a pity Oly's marketing department aren't!

Roy

I don't think any of these lenses will become fully I-AF compatible. They have different types of AF motor compared to the lenses that are I-AF compatible. I-AF is, by its nature, a hunting action - it has to go past the true focus point and then back-track. This means the AF motor must reverse course in a fast and managed way, but not actually move forward too fast and over-shoot. With phase detect AF the near focus point can be calculated and the AF position moved to very quickly and then a minor correction, if necessary after that. So the gearing and mechanism inertia requirements are different.

Ian

ScubaRoy
20th June 2008, 10:56 PM
I don't think any of these lenses will become fully I-AF compatible. They have different types of AF motor compared to the lenses that are I-AF compatible. I-AF is, by its nature, a hunting action - it has to go past the true focus point and then back-track. This means the AF motor must reverse course in a fast and managed way, but not actually move forward too fast and over-shoot. With phase detect AF the near focus point can be calculated and the AF position moved to very quickly and then a minor correction, if necessary after that. So the gearing and mechanism inertia requirements are different.

Ian

Thanks for the explanation Ian. From what I remember of my college courses on control systems it does make sense.

Hopefully Oly will at least amend the wording on their website to actually give the correct information so that other potential customers are not misled as it certainly does not say what they think it does.

Out of interest - How may different types of systems are there in the lenses? I obviously have three differnent ones - SWD, the one and the 40-150 and the one (or more in the other two lenses).

Thanks for your useful information.