PDA

View Full Version : Schneider Kreuznach talk about Micro Four Thirds plans

Four Thirds User
22nd June 2012, 03:40 PM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

http://fourthirds-user.com/images/SK_JPG2012_MFT14smaller.jpg

Schneider Kreuznach's first Micro Four Thirds lens will launch in about a year's time and will feature autofocus.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/06/schneider_kreuznach_talk_about_micro_four_thirds_p lans.php)

Ian
23rd June 2012, 10:01 AM
Anyone here excited about this lens? Seems like a direct challenge to the m.Zuiko 12mm f/2.0. I am impressed that SK will be making this an autofocus lens. For them, that might be the hardest job of all in designing and manufacturing this lens.

Ian

Bikie John
23rd June 2012, 10:13 AM
I'm more interested in what else they might do. Everything I've heard says the Oly 12/2.0 is a cracker, so this one being so close is not so interesting in itself. but if they are going to develop more fast primes, who knows?

Ciao ... John

Ian
23rd June 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty certain they will be producing more fast primes. The 14mm will be a bit of a learning curve for them with regards to the electronics and AF, but once they've cracked that I think we will see some more primes. They have not ruled out producing zooms too. I think this is a massive endorsement of Micro Four Thirds.

Ian

Bikie John
23rd June 2012, 11:51 AM
I agree and I hope we're both right. I also think that Oly's new fast primes are a good forward step, despite some niggles over the details.

Ciao ... John

StephenL
23rd June 2012, 05:08 PM
Even though I'm not immediately interested in this particular lens, I'm impressed and flattered that SK and others have sufficient faith in m4/3 to dip into this market. Some credit for this must surely go to the interest that the E-M5 has generated.

Ulfric M Douglas
23rd June 2012, 05:40 PM
What I find odd is the focal length chosen ... do they already make an AF 14mm for the NEX or some such thing?
As Ian mentioned the mZuiko 12mm is a tough lens to try to 'beat'.

StephenL
23rd June 2012, 05:58 PM
14mm is the "traditional" wide angle lens - in 35mm terms it's 28mm. 12mm is really quite a bit wider. Presumably SK feel more comfortable making their first m4/3 lens in a less exotic and more saleable length.

Greytop
23rd June 2012, 10:08 PM
Interesting... looks a little on the large side (in comparison to the 12mm) but never-the-less a welcome addition to the m4/3rds stable.

JonSchick
24th June 2012, 11:45 AM
Not so sure I'm terribly excited by this, although I wonder whether they have half an eye on the video market for this lens, rather than stills?

I'm more excited by rumours of some fast Sigma zooms, which may be more affordable. If their upcoming 12-35 f2.8 provides good IQ at a cheaper price than the Lumix lens, I could be tempted - and I suspect they'll also follow with a 35-100 as it's the obvious follow-up.

Ross the fiddler
24th June 2012, 01:13 PM
I will be interested in a zoom lens that could match the specs & quality of the ZD50-200 SWD lens in a M4/3's lens.