PDA

View Full Version : HELP! spectacles wearers - how to stop glasses getting scratched

Kittykat23uk
22nd June 2012, 02:01 PM
Hi folks

what solutions have you found to stop your glasses getting scratched by the hard viewfinder? :)

Olybirder
22nd June 2012, 02:22 PM
Hi Jo. I don't wear glasses myself when taking photographs but shouldn't the E-620 come with a flexible rubber eye cup (the EP-8) which clips onto the viewfinder? Do you have yours in place or is it still hard and scratchy even with it fitted? There is a larger eye cup available (the EP-6) which is recommended for use with glasses.

Ron

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd June 2012, 02:26 PM
As a spectacle wearer - albeit one who does not have a 620/600 - never found this a problem. The eyecup is soft enough not to scratch normal glasses treated with a scratch resistant coating (which nowadays seems to be standard for most lenses).

The rubber eyecup does attract finger grease - and I suppose that could in turn attract sand/grit which might cause scratches.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

Nick

Grumpy Hec
22nd June 2012, 02:56 PM
I agree with Nick.Never had the problem although I am a permanent specs wearer. The rubber cup does the job.

Hec

Loup Garou
22nd June 2012, 03:05 PM
I have worn spectacles since 1976 and never had a scratch due to a camera viewfinder or anythingl else. In fact even after the digital revolution, I prefer to use the viewfinder if the camera has one because switcing off the LCD screen saves battery power. With the OM-D, I certainly will use only the viewfinder to suit the retro look of the camera.

Kittykat23uk
7th July 2012, 09:18 AM
Could have been my Panasonic that was doing it, or maybe just got an odd bit of dirt, but it is right were I put the viewfinder so thought it might be my camera.

bluraybha
6th December 2012, 03:18 AM
Try using a Nikon D70. Scratch your specs out within 2 hours of use.

DerekW
6th December 2012, 12:37 PM
Is the scratching you are getting on your lenses on the front or the back of the lens. Harsh cleaning of the glasses lens can scratch the lens unless you rinse off the dirt from the lens in lukewarm water and use a light detergent to degrease the lenses. Then drying the lenses by mopping with a soft tissue rather than rubbing the lens dry.

I wore glasses for 62 odd years - the worst problem was when wearing "fashion" type glasses ie the height of the lens being small such that when the camera was held to the lens the lens was pushed back against the upper cheek and into the eye socket, eye brow and the eye lids. This transferred grease to the inside of the glasses lenses. Reverting to deeper lenses ie lenses with a relatively large height would reduce the contact with the face reducing the greasy area to the upper and lower sections of the glasses lens.

Chevvyf1
6th December 2012, 01:03 PM
Is the scratching you are getting on your lenses on the front or the back of the lens. Harsh cleaning of the glasses lens can scratch the lens unless you rinse off the dirt from the lens in lukewarm water and use a light detergent to degrease the lenses. Then drying the lenses by mopping with a soft tissue rather than rubbing the lens dry.

I wore glasses for 62 odd years - the worst problem was when wearing "fashion" type glasses ie the height of the lens being small such that when the camera was held to the lens the lens was pushed back against the upper cheek and into the eye socket, eye brow and the eye lids. This transferred grease to the inside of the glasses lenses. Reverting to deeper lenses ie lenses with a relatively large height would reduce the contact with the face reducing the greasy area to the upper and lower sections of the glasses lens.

Derek l VERY good advice - ever, however, te best soluton is "Optegra" implant lenses - preferably, with Mr David Anderson Head of Plthalmic at Portsmouth & Southamptn NHS Hospials Yarooo ! No grease; no dirt; no smears :) clear Vision 24/7 and save the Specs costs too - FOR LIFE :)

Bruce Clarke
6th December 2012, 01:06 PM
I used to get scratching from my Minolta X700 years ago, but never had a problem with digital cameras that have all had rubber eyecups. Obviously you need to keep them clean, or they could hold a bit of grit in one place and cause problems.