PDA

View Full Version : Initial views on Panasonic Summilux 25mm

StephenL
18th June 2012, 12:15 PM
As you might have seen, I've been looking for this lens for a while, and finding the thing was a bit of a struggle. I had no offers on the used front, and no-one seemed to stock them new in the UK. Then I struck upon SimplyElectronic's web site. They were listing them in stock at a very good price, post paid, so I ordered. THEN I checked them out, and was met with horrendous tales. They were Hong Kong based, not European as I'd thought, and had a reputation for very poor service. Anyway, I held my breath and hoped. I ordered on the Friday evening, and got an email on the Wednesday saying that it was ready for despatch. So I thought I was in for a few weeks wait. They gave me a DHL tracking number. The lens left Hong Kong on Thursday morning. On Friday afternoon the DHL driver was knocking on my door! Talk about quick! It took longer to get from the courier's place in Edinburgh to our house than it did from HK to East Midlands Airport!

Anyway, due to a busy weekend at work I've had very little chance to play with it yet, but from what I've seen I'm bowled over. Focus is fast, and IQ is razor sharp. It is physically a bit bulky, especially with the (supplied) lenshood fitted, but it's not a heavy lens and sits well on the E-M5. I like to have the camera set on manual focus and initiate focus with a push on Fn1. However, because of the position and size of the focussing ring, I have to be careful how I hold the camera or it is too easy to tweak the focus off. Also, and not the lenses fault, because the camera has a high base ISO and relatively slow maximum shutter speed, using f1.4 is best done in shade. But the bokeh is silky smooth with a silly lack of depth of field at that aperture. I love it!

I hope to post some shots with it soon.

snaarman
18th June 2012, 12:40 PM
Looking forward to seeing some results...

That's getting quite retro innt? A DSLR that looks a lot like an old OM, and a bright nifty fifty to go on it.

You'll be buying a Weston light meter next :)

P

Kiwi Paul
18th June 2012, 12:49 PM
It's a lovely lens, I like mine, I prefer it to the 20mm despite the extra cost and size.

Paul

StephenL
18th June 2012, 01:13 PM
You'll be buying a Weston light meter next :)

P

Yes please!

Well, I've just been out round the ponds - I'm claiming back time owed ;) and it's a fine sunny day, after a wet weekend.

As soon as the spool's back from the chemist, I'll post some snaps.

snaarman
18th June 2012, 01:27 PM
As soon as the spool's back from the chemist, I'll post some snaps.

If they come out... :)

StephenL
18th June 2012, 01:37 PM
Well, here's a few to be going at: (all uncropped)

All at ISO200, this at 1/2500 f2.8
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em5-6180608.jpg

this at 1/400 f1.4
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em5-6180609.jpg

and this is 1/2000 f3.2
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em5-6180614.jpg

Doug H
18th June 2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks, Stephen
Looks and sounds good; I don't think I'm brave enough to repeat your purchase, but I now have one on back order.
I briefly got excited when Amazon didn't show it as out of stock - and then read "Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 months." (My italics)

Doug

Greytop
18th June 2012, 02:02 PM
Lovely shots Stephen, I very much like mine too (managed to get it from SRS).

StephenL
18th June 2012, 02:03 PM
I have since heard that Panasonic will be having a promotion on this lens starting 1 July with a 50 rebate. Maybe they'll send some stocks in for it!

Frank N Furter
19th June 2012, 10:38 PM
two in stock at amazon.co.uk..... (was showing 1-3 months at the weekend!)

Frank N Furter
20th June 2012, 07:05 PM
all gone again.....

DekHog
20th June 2012, 07:31 PM
I don't get this at all.... why can't Panasonic make enough of these to meet demand? No wonder they made huge losses last year..... If it had just hit the market I'd get it.... :screwy:

StephenL
22nd June 2012, 12:07 PM
And another, taken at the excellent Bo'ness Railway Museum. 1/60 f2.2, ISO 2500

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/em5-6200633.jpg

Ian
22nd June 2012, 01:08 PM
I was wondering if you meant you had bought the Four Thirds version because I thought the Micro Four Thirds version was teeny when I had one to try.

Ian

PS Photozone.de reports that the aperture iris is no longer circular beyond f/2.0

StephenL
22nd June 2012, 01:39 PM
I was wondering if you meant you had bought the Four Thirds version because I thought the Micro Four Thirds version was teeny when I had one to try.

Ian

PS Photozone.de reports that the aperture iris is no longer circular beyond f/2.0
No, it's the m4/3 version. I think it's relatively bulky compared to the Olympus 12 mm and 45 mm lenses.

Greytop
22nd June 2012, 05:41 PM
No, it's the m4/3 version. I think it's relatively bulky compared to the Olympus 12 mm and 45 mm lenses.

Agreed but it still looks well balanced on the E-M5 (I think) and boy does it perform :)

StephenL
22nd June 2012, 06:01 PM
Agreed but it still looks well balanced on the E-M5 (I think) and boy does it perform :)

Oh yes, it's the mutt's nuts. Now I've got three great primes all I need is the skills to match them :D