PDA

View Full Version : How much better is the OM-D than my E-PL2?

DJMC
15th June 2012, 05:15 PM
:confused:

Still considering switching....

Swivelly screen; 16MP; high ISO; (I have a VF-2);

What else?

Who has done the same switch from their E-PL2 and thinks it's worth an extra 600 to upgrade bodies?

:)

snaarman
15th June 2012, 05:36 PM
OK, My history is this.

E400 to E510 The 510 is better, more features like IS, and probably slightly better on high ISO - I might use 800 at a push. Both have tiny viewfinders.

E510 to E620 About equal. The E620 has a much nicer look and feel. Swivel screen and all the goodies. But it is not really better IQ wise, IMHO... Still stuck with the tiny viewfinder.

E620 to EPL-3. The Pen is somewhat better at High ISO. Tilt but no swivel screen. Small and a bit fiddly, but it feels quite well made. However, it's no good to me without the VF-2. Aha. the VF-2: A sensible sized viewfinder at last. ISO800 is really quite good. I would use ISO1600 at a push. Shutter is a bit noisy. Putting the VF-2 on the PEN makes it a proper camera but it also makes it really ugly

E-M5. Lovely build quality. It has the VF-2 built in. I will use ISO1600 regularly, and ISO 3200 and 6400 at a push. The IS is better, the shutter is quieter, it has all the tricks of the E620 apart from full swivel screen. It is the business.

So, EPL-3 (not E-PL2) to EM-5. Its a lot of money. You batteries won't fit. But: Much better build quality. Quieter shutter. High ISO so clean you wonder if you made a mistake when setting the camera. 9 fps if you want it... It is almost certainly smaller than you think. It needs the grip. If you ever had a film SLR then this is the one for you..

:-)

Edit: Oh, and two control dials. I never got the hang of two control dials until I used an E-1... Yes. Essential.

Pete

Doug H
15th June 2012, 08:14 PM
Agree with all Pete has said but would also add that while the VF-2 viewfinder quality may be similar to the E-M5, I find the E-M5's so much more useful - I hardly need to review what I've taken because I already know the effects of exposure, highlights etc beforehand. Reviewing people shots to check their eyes/movements can be done in the viewfinder without moving the camera. It doesn't use up the hotshoe nor does it tilt or fall off when you least want it to. Mind you, because the ISO range is so much better, I've never yet used flash on it. I'd love to play with the little flash supplied but not with only one battery! (Still trying to design a DIY diffuser/bounce card)

Then the handling of the E-M5 is much better than the E-P3 (can't speak for other PENS), the little rubber thumb grip is amazingly good. The 2 part grip makes it even better though I only use the landscape part - for me it's much more useful when carrying the camera in my hand rather than when actually lifting to my eye to use. Even without the grip - and I would hesitate to pay for it - the handling is the best small camera I've held in many years.

I took a fair hit in selling my E-P3 but I reckon it was very worth it

DekHog
15th June 2012, 08:23 PM
It is worth it in every way, but I think you'll find it will realistically cost you much more than 600 to upgrade - PL2 bodies going for around 120-160. OM-D body = 1k....

DJMC
15th June 2012, 09:42 PM
It is worth it in every way, but I think you'll find it will realistically cost you much more than 600 to upgrade - PL2 bodies going for around 120-160. OM-D body = 1k....

I was thinking about the US offer of OM-D, m14-42, m40-150 for 950 incl. import duty, then sell the two lenses for 250 here = 700 less the PL2 100 = 600.

I'm in the US in two weeks time.

Would I ever use the E-1 after that, who knows, don't use it much now but also don't use the PL2 as it's still the XZ-1 + VF-2 that gets picked up mostly.

So perhaps I'd be leaving the OM-D behind as well! :eek:

:rolleyes:

shirley
16th June 2012, 07:41 AM
Hi David,
I am really rubbish at all the technical stuff. At the end of the day all I care about is whether the camera enables me to capture the image in my head, I am not able to explain why it can do stuff, but I do know if it 'works' for me.

I enjoyed the EPL-2 as an everyday walk around camera but for some reason I didn't want to use it if I was going out for more serious photography, I guess that might be something to do with the lack of viewfinder, I did purchase the VF2 but rarely used it, I found it really annoying.

As you probably know I thought carefully about changing, as with you I wondered if it was a sensible 'upgrade', especially as I had only had the EPL-2 since October and I normally do not change my cameras that often. I finally took the plunge when I saw a good offer on this site and managed to do a good deal...WOW I am so glad I did. As soon as I set it up and started using it I felt as though it was a class act, note lack of technical terminology!!!

I took it on a recent trip to Canary Wharf, pics posted on this site earlier in the week, and, due to the weather conditions, I was regularly using ISO 5000, so going back to what I said earlier it enabled me to capture the images I want and I am absolutely loving it, it just feels right. The only thing I am missing is that the screen doesn't fully swivel, if it did I think it would be my perfect camera. I haven't used my E30 since I have had it and I think it may not be long before that goes up for sale, just need to test the OMD out a bit more.

Bottom line for me is I am so glad I bought it, I absolutely love it and have no regrets at all.

I hope that is some help, I am sure others will be able to explain in more technical terms why it 'feels' right.

Just a few additional thoughts, I do not have the grip and will not be buying it, I enjoy its small size. One battery is a pain so I have just bought some 3rd party ones off ebay which I will be trying out later today. Some have commented on the low battery life. I shot all day at Canary Wharf and took over 500 shots before the original died, I didn't think that was too bad.

Shirley

DJMC
16th June 2012, 02:06 PM
I think I'll wait for Olympus to bring out the OM-2d they're no doubt currently working on which will have sorted the CDAF to PDAF issue, allowing me to use my 43 lenses, and also feature a fully articulating LCD screen as well as ironing out all the little niggles already found with the OM-D.

Shouldn't be more than a year maybe?

Greytop
16th June 2012, 02:42 PM
I think I'll wait for Olympus to bring out the OM-2d they're no doubt currently working on which will have sorted the CDAF to PDAF issue, allowing me to use my 43 lenses, and also feature a fully articulating LCD screen as well as ironing out all the little niggles already found with the OM-D.

Shouldn't be more than a year maybe?

I remember reading a little while back that other OM-D series bodies were planned, I think initially to slot under the E-M5 in terms of specification, perhaps with no environmental sealing and maybe an IBIS with more limited capabilities (similar to the digital PENs).
I suspect you may see this within a 12 month period and at a lower price point.

StephenL
16th June 2012, 02:53 PM
Whilst there are many "tweaks" which make it better, as has already been eloquently stated, for me it's the handling that's the clincher. Ergonomically it's just so much better than my E-P2. It's a CAMERA in the old-fashioned sense of the word.

drmarkf
17th June 2012, 07:31 PM
Yes, I've made that switch and I agree that everyone above has covered the main advantages: I'd just add that I used to get irritated at how often the VF-2 used to get knocked partially out of its slots when pulling the camera quickly out of a bag, and this is now obviously cured. Plus the dynamic range is quite noticeably better - in fact it's subjectively very nearly as good as that from my DX-size sensor Nikon D300.

DJMC
17th June 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm going to bide my time and wait.

When I started target shooting 6 years ago I used a 300 rifle which could outshoot me, and it was only when my shooting became world class that I bought a 2,500 rifle/scope combination.

As photography isn't yet my number one hobby, and my photos aren't likely to be world class, I think the E-1, E-PL2 and XZ-1 are all above my competence level.

I have just bought an m43 Oly 14-150 on here though, at long last, just to console myself!

Wonder how that would fare on the OM-D? See... I'm at it again!! :rolleyes:

Boys and their toys eh?

;)

Ross the fiddler
17th June 2012, 11:51 PM
Don't forget that Olympus will (rumoured to be) bring out a new range of PEN's later this year (which should be) with updated hardware (new sensor etc.) Maybe with only two models instead of three, but that remains to be seen. There are cash back offers on the 3 PENs in Australia now.

dko22
22nd June 2012, 08:51 PM
in undemanding light, the first gen. sensor cameras including the E-PL2 and my E-PM1 can match the E-M5. The minute you get high contrast or low light, the E-M5 sweeps ahead. The most important of the numerous extra features have already been listed.

David