PDA

View Full Version : Using the x2 Digital TeleConverter

CJJE
15th June 2012, 02:36 PM
With previous cameras I've never bothered to use the "digital zoom" facility, preferring to crop the image on my PC later if required. But I've set up the "Movie" button on my EM-5 to give a quick x2 and am quite impressed with the results!

The first pic shows a herring gull plus chicks using my Lumix 45-200mm zoom (at 200mm) and f6.3. The JPG image is 4608 x 3456 pixels & 3.31MB (Large-Fine settings).

The second pic is the same lens at 200mm & f6.3 with the x2 digital converter in use. The JPG image is still 4608 x 3456 pixels & 3.67MB. Since the digital teleconverter only uses the central area of the image sensor, the camera must be interpolating pixels to bring the image back to the full size. It seems to do a pretty good job to me (both pics are straight from the camera and not tweaked in PC editing software).

Chris

Footloose1949
15th June 2012, 06:08 PM
I've been using the 2x converter too ... a lot quicker/responsive than the other (magnifier?) function, especially if your routine is to manually focus using the central point, > 2x on, recheck focusing > 2x Off > Shoot. The other is useful but only if you have already 'locked down' your composition on a tripod and want to accurately focus on an area away from the central point in the frame.