PDA

View Full Version : Olympus OM-D EM-5 camera straps?

CJJE
14th June 2012, 08:34 PM
I was visiting Skomer Island yesterday with my EM-5, 12-45, Lumix 45-200 and Lumix 100-300 zooms (all easily carried in my LowePro Rover racksac bag with space for a fleece sandwiches etc) watching others carrying their bulky EOS 50Ds and EOS 7Ds. (Yes, I'm glad I sold my heavy EOS 40D outfit!) But the one thing I did envy was their bold EOS 7D and EOS 50D camera straps. The Olympus one supplied with the camera is very understated compared with the Canon and Nikon straps that identify your camera model.

Is there an Olympus equivalent that lets us advertise the EM-5?

Chris

Loup Garou
14th June 2012, 08:54 PM
Personally, I think Olympus straps' understated look is more professional and suits the retro look of the camera. I like it.

JonSchick
14th June 2012, 10:19 PM
I use a wider Oly strap originally supplied with the E-1: it is quite 'grippy' and much less likely to slip around when used as a shoulder strap. Nicely embroidered with Olympus branding too. I picked it up quite cheaply from Amazon.

George Dorn
15th June 2012, 04:40 AM
I use my grey Canon mug-me strap that comes with a 7D. The second look can be amusing.

If ever I get my hands on an OM-D then it might go on that. *zzz

Does anyone use the GS-4 and if so, how do you find it?

Loup Garou
15th June 2012, 05:29 AM
CJJE, may I ask what settings you used to get the first of your two thumbnail pictures - the one with the blurred out background?

CJJE
15th June 2012, 02:05 PM
I use a wider Oly strap originally supplied with the E-1: it is quite 'grippy' and much less likely to slip around when used as a shoulder strap. Nicely embroidered with Olympus branding too. I picked it up quite cheaply from Amazon.

If that's the "Olympus E-System" strap with quick release connectors I've seen advertised, I agree and would love a similar one for the OM-D system!

Chris

CJJE
15th June 2012, 02:14 PM
CJJE, may I ask what settings you used to get the first of your two thumbnail pictures - the one with the blurred out background?

Hi Loup Garou,

That pic was taken with my Lumix 100-300 zoom (at 300mm) on the EM-5, set at ISO 200, 1/320 sec, f5.6. From memory the puffin was quite close to the camera and the background quite a bit further away. Hence the nicely blurred look (who says Micro4/3rds can't do that??)

I was running into the close focus limit of the lens and so changed to my Lumix 45-200 zoom for the other shot.

Chris

Loup Garou
15th June 2012, 03:08 PM
That pic was taken with my Lumix 100-300 zoom (at 300mm) on the EM-5, set at ISO 200, 1/320 sec, f5.6. From memory the puffin was quite close to the camera and the background quite a bit further away. Hence the nicely blurred look.

Chris

Great shot. I thought you had used the 45mm at f/1.8. The composition is perfect. I must try a human face portrait against a blurred green background. Will get the wife to pose in the garden this weekend.

CJJE
15th June 2012, 03:48 PM
Great shot. I thought you had used the 45mm at f/1.8. The composition is perfect. I must try a human face portrait against a blurred green background. Will get the wife to pose in the garden this weekend.

Thanks for your kind comments :)

The puffins would have to be very close for my 45mm lens to get that shot!

The shot below was with my 100-300 zoom at 100mm & f5, and as you can see the puffin to the rear is not very sharp so the sharp zone is pretty narrow.

Chris