PDA

View Full Version : OM-D with m43 40-150 R for 885?

DJMC
14th June 2012, 06:03 PM
Just toying with the idea of bringing back an OM-D from the USA next month.

$999 for body + $99 for the m.zuiko 40-150 R lens.
Can add 14-42 II R for $99 or 12-50 for $299 but the 40-150 is on offer at the moment.

Price is 737 + import VAT at 20% = 885 with just the 40-150.

Pros?: Is that much cheaper than UK prices?

Cons?: 1 year warranty. Will Olympus UK honour it?
Better to wait for a nearly new UK model.
Better to wait for ALL the niggles to be sorted on later versions.
Better to wait for E-M7.

Idle thinking really. Should be working....

:rolleyes:

Zuiko
14th June 2012, 06:37 PM
I would check with HM Customs first to ensure there are no other issues of which you should be aware. Also check the guarantee situation with Olympus UK. Even though you might have the guarantee, remember you will not have dealer back-up. Also, if you later want to sell the camera it might affect the value that it is a grey import. But it does sound a good deal. :)

CJJE
14th June 2012, 07:43 PM
A few years ago the Canon EOS 40D had just been launched, and I found a dealer in Northern Ireland offering one at a good price. But when it arrived it had an American charger, no UK warranty and the menus were all set to Chinese!!

I sorted out the menus and bought a UK charger, and didn't need to test the warranty. And when I sold it a few months ago (to fund my new EM-5) the dealer didn't seem bothered about it being a grey import (or didn't realise?). I also reported the dealer to Trading Standards as his address turned out to be an apartment building, he didn't supply the extra battery I'd paid for, and he ignored my emails.

Chris

DJMC
14th June 2012, 08:11 PM
:(

Right, forget that idea then!

Have to content myself with an EP-9 for $14-95 and LC-67B for $7.95 shipped. Those will keep me just as happy! :rolleyes: