PDA

View Full Version : Recommended cases when grip used

swing
14th June 2012, 04:58 PM
There's lots of nice small camera cases out there designed for cameras like the E-M5 but not suitable for it once the two part grip is on.

Any recommendations as to a nice small compact case that will work, or should I stick to something larger like my existing Slingshot 200AW, originally bought for my Canon EOS, which also had a grip attached.

Thanks

CJJE
14th June 2012, 07:47 PM
I'm still waiting for my free grip to arrive, but am using a LowePro Rezo 110AW and LowePro Rezo 160AW for my EM-5 and lenses at present. I'd recommend these bags and suggest you try one of the series for size.

Chris

CJJE
16th June 2012, 08:54 PM
My free handgrip arrived today so I can update my previous post.

The LowePro Rezo 110AW is a small case with a waterproof cover that will take my E-M5 with the handgrip attached (but not the vertical grip/battery box though), and 12-50mm zoom with attached lenshood, leaving enough room for a small prime lens such as the Olympus 45mm or Lumix 20mm. The front pocket will take the small flashgun that comes with the camera -and a spare battery if you're lucky enough to have one!

The LowePro Rezo 160AW is a similar style case but a bit larger. That will take my E-M5 with both parts of the handgrip attached, 12-50mm zoom and lenshood, as well as my Lumix 45-200 zoom, Lumix 20mm prime and the small flashgun.

The basic handgrip is great but I don't find the added battery compartment very useful (as I haven't a second battery, don't have problems with the battery life, and don't take many portrait format pics).

Chris

snaarman
17th June 2012, 07:03 AM
I use a REZO160 and I am reasonably pleased with it for 2 or 3 years, however it has been disappointing.

1: The shoulder strap clip gave way with no warning and I was lucky to catch the bag as it fell. They gave me a new strap with better metal catches

2: The smooth section of black stuff on the lid started to peel and looked ugly, so I had to remove it all. I suspect it isn't waterproof now.

3: The lid zip just parted from the fabric tape. I was able to sew it back on.

So, will I buy another Lowepro? I'm not so sure. They look great on day one and are well thought out but in the long term, ermmm...

Pete

Chevvyf1
17th June 2012, 07:36 AM
I use a REZO160 and I am reasonably pleased with it for 2 or 3 years, however it has been disappointing.

1: The shoulder strap clip gave way with no warning and I was lucky to catch the bag as it fell. They gave me a new strap with better metal catches

2: The smooth section of black stuff on the lid started to peel and looked ugly, so I had to remove it all. I suspect it isn't waterproof now.

3: The lid zip just parted from the fabric tape. I was able to sew it back on.

So, will I buy another Lowepro? I'm not so sure. They look great on day one and are well thought out but in the long term, ermmm...

Pete

Pete, price is not a guide to the future eh ? ...

We bought Kata bags for our recent holiday trip "hand luggage" with all the back and waist straps they spread the load over great webbing and stitching and double clips and zips. The weight was ... BIGMA ; 50-200; manual; Zuiko 1:2 macro; Sigma 150 Macro; E-1 - as well as 6 batteries; 14 chips; torches; Nintendo DS + Suduko; Dr K; paperback book; passport; funds AND lens hoods the E-5 and 14-54 mkII hanging around my neck.

I would recommend Kata :D

CJJE
17th June 2012, 04:09 PM

Pete

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your LowePro bag. I've had no problems with any of mine over the years. I'd also add that with the AW models while the bag itself is probably showerproof, they have a plastic "showercap" wich you pull out from a hidden compartment to cover the top and front of the bag to make them waterproof (like you see on the better rucksacs).

Chris

swing
18th June 2012, 12:53 PM
The LowePro Rezo 110AW is a small case with a waterproof cover that will take my E-M5 with the handgrip attached (but not the vertical grip/battery box though).
Ah, I think I tried this case Friday morning (the closest to what I wanted, but as the camera didn't fit with the grip, I walked away from buying it).
The LowePro Rezo 160AW is a similar style case but a bit larger. That will take my E-M5 with both parts of the handgrip attached, 12-50mm zoom and lenshood, as well as my Lumix 45-200 zoom, Lumix 20mm prime and the small flashgun.This then does sound like the case for me; thanks, I shall investigate further.
The basic handgrip is great but I don't find the added battery compartment very useful (as I haven't a second battery, don't have problems with the battery life, and don't take many portrait format pics)Having spent the day on Friday with the camera with both grips installed, I found the portrait grip handy as part of my palm rested on it, plus as I would leave the landscape grip on all the time anyway, moving my single battery to the portrait grip suits me.

Thanks again

Greytop
18th June 2012, 02:11 PM
I've just ordered a Think Tank Retrospective 5 in pinestone to replace my LP Nova 170AW.
I wanted something lower key for my m4/3rds gear, both the Retrospective 5 and Nova 170 are a very similar size are able to take pretty much all the gear needed for a day trip or even holiday.
One of the real pluses of m4/3rds :)

Footloose1949
19th June 2012, 01:04 PM
I just use one of a range of nondescript bags I own, no brand labels or if any, they have been removed. Inside, I use some of the larger diameter Billingham [or similar] removable partitions.

OM USer
19th June 2012, 04:17 PM
I found on old canomatic bag in my spares cupboard.
http://www.paladix.cz/gallery.php?ido=14734
Its approx 22(W) x 17(H) x11(D) cm.

I divided up with Kata MODULAR SOFT DIVIDER KIT-S10
http://www.katabags.co.uk/modular-soft-divider-kit-s10

The bag is small enough (just) to fit in the top half of my backpack (on top of waterproof, jumper, sandwiches, drink etc.) and contains E-M5 (with landscape grip) with 12-50mm in centre section, 75-300mm and OMZ 50mm F1.2+adapter either side, cables, remote release, cleaning cloth, clip on flash, and lens caps. No spare batteries yet!

Here it is:
http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/Fluffball_photobucket/om-d%20em-5/P6190639b.jpg
Perfect for a total lightweight solution although I will look out for a more discrete bag.