PDA

View Full Version : Battery Life

The Technician
14th June 2012, 02:25 PM
I thought I would see how many shots everyone else is getting out of their batteries or should I say battery :rolleyes:
I got 444 shots on my recent trip to the Zoo and it is still indicating 2/3's full :)

andym
14th June 2012, 02:32 PM
There seem to be a great difference we seem to be getting out of our batteries.On a good day I get about 150.
I use ZD lenses some of the time so there may be more drain in the focusing.

I don't use the rear screen very often and my sleep time is set to 1 min.I not sure if the amount of pictures you get is proportional to the time the camera is on ie if you take a lot over a short period as compared to the camera being on a lot but only take a few frame.As we know from the internel sound the camera is doing something all the time.

Still like it though and am one of the lucky ones with two batteries.

Ian
14th June 2012, 02:43 PM
I wonder if using high speed continuous shooting can up the frame count without using up as much power per shot?

Ian

jdal
14th June 2012, 02:43 PM
It must depend heavily on your shooting stye. I tend to do a lot of "point, focus, have a think then don't take a shot" stuff. I probably get about 100-150 shots.

When I was deliberately trying to drain the batteries by just blindly clicking away, to get through a couple of charge/discharge cycles, I seemed to have to take loads of shots to drain a battery.

StephenL
14th June 2012, 02:50 PM
I don't shoot a lot in any one session, so the camera is sitting switched off for long periods. As such I don't expect many shots per charge. However, having shot about 600 exposures since new, and spent a lot of time changing settings etc., I find I've charged the batteries about 3 times sine getting it. I suspect that battery life will improve after several charges. I should add that I've recharged well before the warning gets down to 1 bar. I really should be flattening the batteries before charging!

As it stands I've no complaints about battery life. No worse than any other Olympus I've owned.

snaarman
14th June 2012, 03:08 PM
I haven't measured it but I feel I am getting 100 to 150 at present.

I have eye operated EVF and rear screen off (or as off as the Info button will make it) together with short shutdown time. However I am using ZD lenses mostly as opposed to m4/3. I am waiting for a few charge recharge cycles before I can be certain. Now I have 2 batteries I run the camera until the orange sign starts flashing.

Pete

skids
14th June 2012, 03:51 PM
Just under 200 shots on a day out over the jubilee weekend and the indicator was still showing full power.

Loup Garou
14th June 2012, 06:52 PM
I have been 'playing' a lot - taking and deleting - and using the little flashbit as well. I have not kept count as they were all experimental shots to get used to the camera but I'd say at least 200 with around half with flash. Battery showing full power. :)

I confess I tend to use the viewfinder - thus autoshutting the LCD screen. IMO, using the viewfinder seems more appropriate with this camera's retro look. I am trying to do as much retro as possible - got myself a nice canvas bag from China (where else?) which looks like one of those old (70s to 80s) Billingham jobs. Plenty of internal padded compartments for camera, 4 lenses, FL-600R flashgun and hoods.

snaarman
17th June 2012, 07:48 PM
I have an oblique question about E-M5 battery life: Some of us claim 500 shots and some get 150.. I am probably in the latter camp.

Question. If you set the camera to raw+JPEG then you are actually processing and writing two files (but firing the shutter once). The two writes to card must take extra power - so I wonder if my 150 shots in fact count more like 300 because I set it for raw + JPEG??

Any further info from fellow users?

Pete

Mrs T
17th June 2012, 08:06 PM
Hi Pete,

I'm glad you have posed this question. My husband and I have been trying to answer the same question. We shoot in raw and jpeg, and have assumed that as we import 800 shots into Aperture from 400 shutter presses then we have taken 800 shots!

I posted to your 'in the field test' that I'd got to 342 paired shots.

Amanda

brian1208
18th June 2012, 03:56 PM
I've charged the battery 3X since new and shot around 950 images (+ a lot of LCD viewing whilst I tried to work out the best settings for the excellent little tool).

I'm hoping this will improve.

(battery empty arrives within a few shots of the battery low indication, its taking some getting used to after my 5Dmk2's refined battery meter system :) )

Bikie John
18th June 2012, 04:25 PM
My best so far is about 250. I've been trying to run it right down before charging as folklore says that is the best way to condition it. I shoot JPEG+Raw together, don't review very much and probably didn't use the small flash (which is powered by the camera battery) at all for this lot.

Ciao ... John

dko22
28th June 2012, 12:34 PM
I seldom get more than about 100 shots from any battery, DSLR included. That's because I tend to waste most of it chimping and i take few shots overall. Battery life should be given in hours and minutes depending on whether you use the EVF or the monitor and throw in one or two other permutations like flash in for good measure, not the number of exposures.

In general after 3 charges of the battery, it's looking like life is similar to the GH2 and it will probably pick up slightly still. However the Panasonics have a more reliable measurement. When it goes down to two bars, it's about 50% left, one bar perhaps 16%. The E-M5 is all over the place. Probably hitting two bars is around 33% but after that it swings between two and three and can suddenly jump from 3 to 1 and then you don't have long to live. Not much better, if at all, than you expect from an average compact. I tried to adjust the scaling to show 2 earlier but it seems to jump around even worse then. It would be nice if Oly could do something like Nikon giving percentages --I don't regard their battery metering as up to standard for a camera of this price. But once I get used to it, I'll probably be able to work out its behaviour

David

jdal
28th June 2012, 02:04 PM
Now the batteries have been through a few full charge/discharge cycles, I seem to be getting a decent amount of use out of them.

It's nigh on impossible to be precise in this discussion, there are so many different camera settings and ways of using the camera. Number of shots doesn't mean anything in a comparitive sense, IMHO.

bredman
29th June 2012, 04:45 AM
The E-M5 is all over the place. Probably hitting two bars is around 33% but after that it swings between two and three and can suddenly jump from 3 to 1 and then you don't have long to live. Not much better, if at all, than you expect from an average compact. I tried to adjust the scaling to show 2 earlier but it seems to jump around even worse then. It would be nice if Oly could do something like Nikon giving percentages --I don't regard their battery metering as up to standard for a camera of this price. But once I get used to it, I'll probably be able to work out its behaviour

David

Agreed 100%. It is frustrating at times the unpredictable nature of the battery warnings. All the more value on having that spare handy.

bredman
29th June 2012, 04:51 AM
It's nigh on impossible to be precise in this discussion, there are so many different camera settings and ways of using the camera. Number of shots doesn't mean anything in a comparitive sense, IMHO.

I fired off 500 shots at 9 fps in about 15 minutes with the battery still on 3 bars. The burst mode doesn't burn off much juice it seems. To be expected as that greatly reduces the number of exposure calculations/focusing etc..

Bikie John
29th June 2012, 09:34 AM
The E-M5 is all over the place. Probably hitting two bars is around 33% but after that it swings between two and three and can suddenly jump from 3 to 1 and then you don't have long to live. Not much better, if at all, than you expect from an average compact. I tried to adjust the scaling to show 2 earlier but it seems to jump around even worse then. It would be nice if Oly could do something like Nikon giving percentages --I don't regard their battery metering as up to standard for a camera of this price. But once I get used to it, I'll probably be able to work out its behaviour

Agreed from here as well. I use a Hahnel Twin V Pro charger for the BLM-1 and BLM-5 batteries for the E-5, one of the useful things it has is a charge level indicator. It's not very sophisticated, just shows 0-20-40-60-80-100%, but at least before going out for a shoot I can pop the batteries in and get a reasonable idea of their health.

Iincidentally, I have found battery life remarkably consistent on the E-5 - a pair of BLM-5s give me pretty close to 450 shots on my normal shooting. The Hahnel lookalikes (HL-M5s) are almost exactly the same. Maybe it helps that normally I only use it for one kind of work, shooting sport where I will take a lot of shots using similar methods in a short period of time.

Ciao ... John