PDA

View Full Version : What makes it so popular?

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 04:46 PM
Like someone said, even Olympus themselves have underestimated the demand for the OM-D and retailers in most places are running out of stock. We know about the UK, USA and Oz from these forums, DP review etc but a German friend told me that it was the same in his country and probably elsewhere. That makes me wonder what it is that makes this particular camera so popular with the photographic masses.

Obviously, it is a great little camera functionally, but I am sure there are a few others almost as good in the same price range. Therefore

Is it its retro look? (the greater demand for the silver body suggests this)
The ultrafast autofocus?
Great variety of affordable lenses?
Compact size while maintaining excellent build quality?
Or simply the way it works?

Ulfric M Douglas
10th June 2012, 05:12 PM
Your list doesn't include a sensor that equals or betters the measureable DR & high ISO noise of mainstream DSLR sensors.
Once that knowledge got around all the potential buyers who already owned other systems then the other aspects (some of which already existed in the Pens and Lumix G cameras) suddenly looked attractive too. There are many threads started on DPR from users who are clearly ignorant of the features already in the Pens, and bowled over by those same two-year-old features in their new shiny toy.

You list features that Olympus were already selling before the e-M5.

The e-M5 brings some more stuff that makes it more of a viable proposition to current DSLR users ;
Built-in EVF within an attractive Retro body.
Fast CD-AF throughout many lenses.
Weathersealed body.
State-of-the-art stabilisation.

StephenL
10th June 2012, 05:25 PM
It's an almost-unique comination of form and function. Yes, there are camera which are technically as competent, but to put that functionality in a form which is good to use and behold must be close to unique. The nearest lust-worthy cameras are those of the Fuji X series. But they cannot compete as affordable system cameras. The E-M5 also has the advantage of an existing and developing quality lens base. The camera has soul.

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 08:11 PM
Your list doesn't include a sensor that equals or betters the measureable DR & high ISO noise of mainstream DSLR sensors.

Well, anything functional I simply included in "the way it works". There are so many little things that people particularly like, the list would then be very long. :)

The camera has soul.

Now, there is an answer! The little OM-D has something that most other models, inluding its own E-series uncles and PEN nephews do not have. It is probably the only camera on the market which the "common" folk - those that know little about cameras or photography - will be curious about when it is hanging from your neck. *chr

SteelD
10th June 2012, 08:54 PM
The fact that Fujifilm X models and the Olympus OM-D are doing so well must surely be that there is a large audience that yearn for a quality feel to the camera and want a quality image without having to pay Leica money. We are all fed up with lookalike plastic-bodied cameras that have very little tactile feedback.

bredman
10th June 2012, 09:21 PM
I almost bought a Canon 5D about 5 years ago. I really wanted a decent camera, so i walked into the shop, but was horrified with it's size, it was huge. I was also put off by the fact it was just black plastic, just like all the other oversized DSLRs out there. The size just didn't fit in with my long walks idea of photography, just me, a camera (with spare battery) and a long 12 mile walk through the countryside, occasionally firing the shutter at anything and everything.

I complained at the time that some manufacturer was missing a trick, that of a retro styled ILC that was small, with plenty of pixels and decent glass to boot. Aimed at a world full of nostalgic enthusiastic photographers.

I remember my excitement with the first m43, taking a long journey to check those first two models out, but held back as i decided the new technology would be too young, flawed, and therefore too expensive. So i patiently waited, checking out the Panasonics every few months, but there was something missing with them.

Then i saw the OMD with a favourable early review and knew i would be purchasing it. With a sense of relief and "it's about time" i ordered.

I don't know why everyone else has purchased, but that's why i did. My stubborn refusal to buy something that wasn't perfick for me has come to an end.

Luckily, this camera does have soul.

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 09:56 PM
The Fuji X-Pro1 certainly looks good and ought to appeal to Rangefinder-style camera fans. IMO, for that style, black looks better than silver/black. But there will be a feeling that with their X-series Fuji are trying to emulate Leica whereas the OM-D is styled on a predecessor with the same Olympus OM tag to a large extent.

I wonder how long it will be before Canon, Nikon and Pentax start to think about styling their camera bodies. Canon in particular, have not changed the style of their flagship since the EOS-1 came out in 1989.

snaarman
11th June 2012, 07:39 AM
The camera has soul.

.. in fact you can hear it breathing when you hold it :)

I liked my E620 - great camera apart from the small cramped viewfinder. I often wondered why don't Olympus make a mirrorless version if the '620 with an EVF ... and perhaps they could give it 16Mp sensor and even make it weatherproof at the same time.

Well what do you know - they did! *

This is the only camera I've ever pre-ordered. I generally wait 6 months or a year for the prices to fall. Not this time. Not with this camera: The free grip bribe was all it took.

*OK, it turned out to be m4/3 not 4/3 ... Now if they were to reverse engineer the E-M5 into a E620 size body so it used 4/3 lenses and call it the E7 there would be even more happy bunnies out there.

Pete

PS. At the risk of being flamed, and as a result of some careful research last night: I think the E-M5 shutter is actually quieter than the E1.

StephenL
11th June 2012, 08:23 AM
At the risk of being flamed, and as a result of some careful research last night: I think the E-M5 shutter is actually quieter than the E1.

Well, I don't have the two together to compare, but if I recall it's a different sound. And the E-M5 shutter seems to be getting smoother with use.

Footloose1949
11th June 2012, 10:05 AM
But with the OM-D you CAN have your cake and eat it, plus select from a range of desserts because of the MMF-2 adaptor, and m4/3rds converters to suit almost any other camera manufacturer's optics. Indeed the m4/3rds mount may already be far more versatile than that old-stager, the venerable 'T' mount. Olympus has always innovated, their 1/2 frame cameras, of which one (some seem to forget) was an SLR with a pretty extensive range of optic and you could get converters which enabled you to fit other manufacturer's lenses onto it. -So the m4/3rds adaptability, is nothing new to Olympus, and indeed takes this principle even further since with it's 4/3rds size sensor, means that Cine optics can also be used on it, or maybe a wholly compatible 4/3rds lens mount will be seen on a yet to be announced digital Cine camera?

Maybe this particular 'Nostradamus' needs to lie down in a dark room and stop, (or start!) taking their tablets?!

Wally
11th June 2012, 11:02 AM
I've always been impressed with Olympus and over the years have strayed here and there, but always returned to the fold. Given my eye problems, the evf seems a real breakthrough and having the use over the last week or two with an xz-1 seems to have pretty much solved my problems. OK, it's still early days, but it's looking good. As for a silent shutter, the e-20 has a benchmark that would be hard to beat.

If I can raise the folding stuff I'm looking to either the xz-1 with evf or if very lucky, the new OM-D. Why the OM-D, because I think this time around Olympus have nailed it.

I agree about canon being a beast and weighing a ton. Soooo, If anyone wants a Charles Atlas body building togging course... I have a 1D mkII plus lens(s) and flash. I have enough weight :o to carry with my beer belly. ;)

SteelD
11th June 2012, 10:01 PM
I have a 5D and 4 'L' lenses that I've taken with me to India, Cuba and along Route 66 on a Harley but my next venture requires me to travel much lighter hence my interest in the OM-D. I have a G1 with 14-45 and 45-200 lenses that seems reasonable but I feel that the OM-D with a couple of decent primes is a much better proposition.

brianvickers
11th June 2012, 10:25 PM
I gave up my Canon 50D and L zooms and now have an OM-D with 12mm, 25mm and 45mm....so much smaller and lighter and superb results....better than the 50D in my tests and I'd suggest better than a 5D, maybe close to a 5D MKII even...though I don't have a 5D of any version to compare.

dko22
12th June 2012, 07:31 AM
.. in fact you can hear it breathing when you hold it :)

This is the only camera I've ever pre-ordered. I generally wait 6 months or a year for the prices to fall. Not this time. Not with this camera: The free grip bribe was all it took.

Pete

Of course the breathing is why it has soul. When I switched to video for the first time, I was worried my camera had died as it suddenly went quiet until I remembered reading it was supposed to be like this!

It's also the first time I have ever preordered a camera --the (yet to arrive) grip is supposed to be sold to help pay for the camera but it wouldn't surprise me if I finish up keeping it after all as so many have recommended it. In my three years of Nikons on the other hand, almost everything I bought was second hand -perhaps I knew this would be only a fling!

David

Paul19
12th June 2012, 07:36 AM
Sold my 5D and two 'L' lenses to enter the M 4/3 arena a while back - now have the E-M5 and most lenses; best move I ever made. This camera has Personality! Paul

Ian
12th June 2012, 10:07 AM
I think even the relatively young ones here will still remember the original OM-series. The Pen-FT half frame SLR that Olympus used to base the style of the digital Pens on was before my time and I am 51!. The OM was an iconic SLR of its time, the first truly compact SLR and backed by a huge professional system. Millions of the cheaper OM-10 models were sold to people who aspired to but could not afford a more expensive OM-1 or OM-2 (and later the OM-4).

A lot of this has rubbed off on the OM-D E-M5. But as others have also pointed out, the E-M5 is a high performance camera with a very fast shutter and, mat last, a sensor that does the rest of the camera justice.

Ian

Wibblewobble
12th June 2012, 10:23 AM
Size/weight
Image quality
Fast reliable autofocus
Fantastic prime lenses
Decent EVF

Loup Garou
12th June 2012, 10:42 AM
Of course the breathing is why it has soul. When I switched to video for the first time, I was worried my camera had died as it suddenly went quiet until I remembered reading it was supposed to be like this!

Maybe we should give our OM-Ds names and talk to them. I think they are male - I'm going to call mine Wilbur.

Footloose1949
12th June 2012, 12:37 PM
As I have already said, I think the interchangeability across mounts has had a big impact, but it's size, proving that you don't have to lug a great big lump of a camera (body) around, has drawn other camera users into the fold, as they don't have to abandon all their existing lenses. People like SRB-Gripturn are probably very happy with the additional business that has come their way.