PDA

View Full Version : Benbo Trekker Tripod

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 10:46 AM
Following my recent purchase of the OM-D and its lenses, I was rummaging through some of my old photography kit that I used to use with my Canon EOS10 in the 90s. Apart from the usual useful bits & pieces, I found my old Benbo Trekker tripod, neatly packed in a case and unused for over 10 years! I had completely forgotten about it since going digital and now realise how useful it had been. Still looks good & works fine.

Anyone else here own(ed) a Benbo tripod?

josephlck
10th June 2012, 11:34 AM
I've heard it's pretty good. I'm deciding between that and a redsnapper when i eventally save up enough for a decent trod :)

Would be interested to know how you find it!

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 12:42 PM
Very versatile. It is light as a reed and strong as a drunkard's breath. Can be set-up in awkward positions indoors and outdoors eg on a staircase.

Chevvyf1
10th June 2012, 12:46 PM
I have used these for a few years - now a BENRO :) so two Benbo for sale
The only difference is packing down to 17" for travel overseas.

Being able to swing the camera on tripod down to ground level for remote shutter activation shots is AWESOME for clarity ! and at times, for insects I have "squashed" all legs flat on the ground - the most versatile tripods ever ! :D *chr

yorky
10th June 2012, 01:32 PM
They are wonderful for natural history work, you can put them anywhere, Heather Angel always used them.

ndl0071
10th June 2012, 03:14 PM
Yes, I've a Benbo Trekker now about 10 years old and consigned to the loft since I bought a much sturdier Gitzo, I became frustrated with the Benbo as it seemed the head wasn't man enough to take an E3/Grip and SHG lenses, it would suit lighter kit and as already said it's great to set up for those awkward positions.

StephenL
10th June 2012, 05:32 PM
Oh yes, I've had one of these. Like having sex with an un-cooperative octopus whilst balancing on one leg, or so I'm told.

Chevvyf1
10th June 2012, 06:20 PM
Oh yes, I've had one of these. Like having sex with an un-cooperative octopus whilst balancing on one leg, or so I'm told.

Would suggest a little more foreplay, :D so the Octopus does not feel "rushed" :eek: ...

Stephen, I guess the Hammock was never tried ? :D

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 08:19 PM

I was under the impression that most people used their tripods to mount cameras on. Well, each to his own, I suppose. :D:eek:

Zuiko
10th June 2012, 08:28 PM
I've had a Benbo Mk1 with Manfrotto 468RC head for well over 20 years and it is still my weapon of choice, although if I have to walk anywhere these days I prefer to carry a lighter Giottos!

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 09:42 PM
I just found the missing top piece of my Benbo, cleaned and reassembled it. I cannot believe that I had let something of that quality go to sleep for over 10 years. And it says something on it a lot of modern stuff no longer do - "Made in England" *yes

Nick Temple-Fry
10th June 2012, 11:44 PM
The last time I used my Benbo was as a disability aid. An infection left me last year for several months with very limited mobility in my shoulders and back. The Benbo set up with the central bar crosswise was a great tool for getting out of bed or chairs, given that I am not as light as I should be (or so my Doctor says) then that's a testament to the strength of the design.

Unfortunately they are quite heavy in the field, so for photographic purpose I now use a carbon fibre tripod.

There was an earlier comment about the Bendo head - I find the Benbo 'pro' head will take the E-3 and 90-250 (using the lens mount). But the head plate is a standard fitting and you can easily fit other makes of heads to the tripod if you prefer.

Nick

OlyPaul
11th June 2012, 06:48 AM
I still have mine and still use it sometimes and it's over twenty years old, it's been in the marshes and the sea they were built to last, they don't make them like that now.:)