PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Micro 4/3 lenses and Third party hoods

Loup Garou
8th June 2012, 04:28 PM
I have bought Chinese 3rd party hoods for all my Olympus micro four thirds lenses - the 12-5mm, 40-150mm, 17mm pancake and 45mm f/1.8. I guess a lot of people have done the same because the original Olympus hoods are so expensive.

Has anyone had any mechanical problems with fitting or removing these hoods? In particular, is there a risk of the hood loosening the front ring of the 45mm lens? I always handle my cameras carefully but want to be sure.

JonSchick
8th June 2012, 05:15 PM
I have a mix of Olympus hoods when they are cheap enough or JJC when they are not. The latter seem to work just as well. For the 45mm lens, I have a cheap Chinese vented Leica style screw in hood which works fine. The fact that it is black also helps if your camera body is not silver.

peak4
8th June 2012, 05:21 PM
Only got the JJC LH-55b for the 12-50mm; it arrived today after about 6 weeks.
Perfect fit in the normal operational position, but will require a bit of attention from a scalpel to reverse it.

Loup Garou
8th June 2012, 06:39 PM
How do you mean "reverse" it? Tough to remove it or fix it in the reverse position for storage?

Another post mentioned something about using graphite paste on the thread to make it work smoothly. I had never heard of this - is it a fact?

peak4
8th June 2012, 06:54 PM
How do you mean "reverse" it? Tough to remove it or fix it in the reverse position for storage?

Another post mentioned something about using graphite paste on the thread to make it work smoothly. I had never heard of this - is it a fact?

Reverse it, as in fit the opposite way round for storage; the groves for the bayonet fit are shorter on the side inside the wide end of the hood.

Graphite grease is wonderful, buy filthy stuff; it often comes in puffer sprays from locksmiths. I wouldn't let it anywhere near, particularly if wearing a white shirt.
A very faint smearing of clear silicone grease, as in very very sparingly, or a rub with candle wax normally does the business.
Certainly candle wax seems to work with filter threads, and would be my preferred option as anything which attracts dust might make matters worse.

I've not tried it myself, but I would think that Teflon dry chain lube might do the trick too.

JonSchick
8th June 2012, 07:34 PM
Are you sure it is supposed to reverse? This hood was originally designed for the 9-18 and does not reverse for storage... the genuine Olympus hood does not reverse either.

I'd probably leave the scalpel.....

Loup Garou
8th June 2012, 08:05 PM
A very faint smearing of clear silicone grease, as in very very sparingly does the business.

I have plenty of clear silicone grease, being a scuba diver. I use it to lubricate the O-rings on my camera housing, strobe battery lids etc. I can try that........very, very sparingly ;)

As for reversing, why not simply place the capped lens on top the upturned hood? I have JJC's neoprene lens cups that I use to place the lenses in my camera bag. The inner lining can be reduced or removed and I think the respective hoods will go in or sit on top.

peak4
8th June 2012, 08:16 PM
Are you sure it is supposed to reverse?
I'd probably leave the scalpel.....

As for reversing, why not simply place the capped lens on top the upturned hood? .

Sorry folks I was busy with the scalpel whilst you were typing :o

On the up side, I now have a reversible lens hood, albeit one which only stores at 90 degrees to the normal orientation :)

It wasn't so much for storing the hood whilst the lens is in the bag, but for storing the hood when the lens is on the camera and they are both in a bag.

Loup Garou
12th June 2012, 09:16 PM
None of the hoods have arrived yet but I just had a scary thought. Looking at the picture of the JJC made LH-40B for the 45mm f/1.8 lens, I cannot see how I can fit that hood in front of my lens, especially as I have fitted a Hoya 37mm UV filter as well. If it screws on to the filter thread, that is fine but I hope that I do not have to remove the silver retaining ring on my beautiful lens? :eek:

Jim Ford
12th June 2012, 09:31 PM
I used to sparingly use silicone grease on lens hood bayonets and also zoom barrels, but now use a dry silicone spray. I don't apply the spray directly, but spray onto a tissue and wipe the items with it. The film left is near invisible.

I've been doing this for about 3 years and it works 100%. The spray I use is:

3-IN-ONE Professional Silicone spray Lubricant

http://www.3-in-one.co.uk/products/silicone-lubricant/

I got mine from Maplins, but they don't seem to list it now.

It's very handy stuff.

Jim

PeterBirder
12th June 2012, 10:07 PM
None of the hoods have arrived yet but I just had a scary thought. Looking at the picture of the JJC made LH-40B for the 45mm f/1.8 lens, I cannot see how I can fit that hood in front of my lens, especially as I have fitted a Hoya 37mm UV filter as well. If it screws on to the filter thread, that is fine but I hope that I do not have to remove the silver retaining ring on my beautiful lens? :eek:

Fear not. The "silver retaining ring" is a "cosmetic cover" to hide the black plastic bayonet fitting for the hood when you are not using the hood. Rotate it 45 degrees anti-clockwise and it comes off. Actually, after a few operations it comes off rather too easily and Snaarman has reported that he has already removed and stored his to avoid loosing it.:D

Regards.*chr

Loup Garou
12th June 2012, 10:20 PM
Fear not. The "silver retaining ring" is a "cosmetic cover" to hide the black plastic bayonet fitting for the hood when you are not using the hood. Rotate it 45 degrees anti-clockwise and it comes off. Actually, after a few operations it comes off rather too easily and Snaarman has reported that he has already removed and stored his to avoid loosing it.:D

Regards.*chr

Thanks, but when I am not using the hood, I'd like to put the ring back. Yes, I now recall someone posting that his ring fell off and was in the danger of getting lost. I like the looks of my lens - I know that it sounds amateurish, but I do - and do not want to expose the ugly blask plastic bayonet mount underneath unless I have the silver hood to cover it.

Loup Garou
13th June 2012, 08:34 PM
Sorry to be persistent about this but somehow I could not get used to the idea of removing that retaining ring on my Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens to fit the hood. When the hood arrives, I'll just keep it aside or give it to someone.

I shopped around and found that Dorr do a silver "universal" lens hood with a 37mm thread that can be screwed on to the front of the 37mm UV filter that I have fitted for my silver lens. The hood looks very similar in front to the LH-40B and in any case, with a telephoto lens of 45mm (90mm equivalent), vignetting should not be an issue. Do you think it will work?

SteelD
17th June 2012, 03:18 PM
Graphite grease is wonderful, buy filthy stuff; it often comes in puffer sprays from locksmiths. I wouldn't let it anywhere near, particularly if wearing a white shirt.

Great for locks but I wouldn't let it near a camera or lens. If you need to lubricate a filter thread then an HB graphite pencil is a much safer bet. It's still graphite but it doesn't go everywhere like the powdered graphite.

Loup Garou
19th June 2012, 04:18 PM
The JJC replacement hood for the LH-J40B arrived today. It was larger than I expected and rather flimsy in build. As planned, I just kept it aside because I am not going to fiddle with the covering ring in front of the lens to expose the bayonet mount.

Instead, I tried the Dorr 37mm thread Universal hood, which also arrived today. This is metal and a lot smaller than the JJC one. It easily threads into the lens or the filter and works very well. I tried the ensemble rendomly in the garden on this sunny afternoon and felt that the hood was doing a good job.