PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Back to Basics financial revival plan promises greater investment in cameras

Four Thirds User
8th June 2012, 10:30 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Olympus reveals plans for its Back to Basics plan for financial revival.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/06/olympus_back_to_basics_financial_revival_plan_prom ises_greater_investment_in_cameras.php)

Ian
8th June 2012, 11:07 AM
Seems like good news for the camera division :)

Ian

StephenL
8th June 2012, 12:06 PM
It does indeed.

Zuiko
8th June 2012, 12:10 PM
Seems like good news for the camera division :)

Ian

Yes, but having just looked at the relevant parts of the report on Olympus Global and reading between the lines, my personal opinion is that we are now unlikely to see another Olympus DSLR and I can even envisage the early discontinuation of the E-5. However, that's just my personal, non-expert interpretation and I may well be wrong.

On the plus side, there appears to be a committment and resolve from Olympus to build upon their success in the mirrorless market by becomming more innovative and developing products which truly differentiate them from competitors and establish them firmly as market leaders. In particular they refer to leveraging their optical expertise so expect more quality lenses as well as even better cameras.

The bottom line is that there may well be a change of emphasis but the imaging division remains a core business central to the company's long term strategy.

Ian
8th June 2012, 12:29 PM
Yes, but having just looked at the relevant parts of the report on Olympus Global and reading between the lines, my personal opinion is that we are now unlikely to see another Olympus DSLR and I can even envisage the early discontinuation of the E-5. However, that's just my personal, non-expert interpretation and I may well be wrong.

On the plus side, there appears to be a committment and resolve from Olympus to build upon their success in the mirrorless market by becomming more innovative and developing products which truly differentiate them from competitors and establish them firmly as market leaders. In particular they refer to leveraging their optical expertise so expect more quality lenses as well as even better cameras.

The bottom line is that there may well be a change of emphasis but the imaging division remains a core business central to the company's long term strategy.

I don't see any change. Olympus was never going to do another mainstream DSLR to compete with Nikon and Canon. The E-5 was never that. In fact I think Olympus was surprised that it sold as well as it did and that some non-Olympus photographers bought it. The situation is much the same as 2 years ago. An E-5 update could be made with relatively little investment and I believe it could be profitable even if just a few thousand units were made.

What Olympus does need to deliver is a way of using Four Thirds lenses normally on a larger DSLR-style mirrorless body. I'm sure they are working on that.

Ian

Wee man
8th June 2012, 01:23 PM
Lets hope so...............

Zuiko
8th June 2012, 02:06 PM
I don't see any change. Olympus was never going to do another mainstream DSLR to compete with Nikon and Canon. The E-5 was never that. In fact I think Olympus was surprised that it sold as well as it did and that some non-Olympus photographers bought it. The situation is much the same as 2 years ago. An E-5 update could be made with relatively little investment and I believe it could be profitable even if just a few thousand units were made.

What Olympus does need to deliver is a way of using Four Thirds lenses normally on a larger DSLR-style mirrorless body. I'm sure they are working on that.

Ian

I may be barking up the wrong tree (or just plain barking :D) but I did detect a change of mood and emphasis regarding DSLRs. Remember, this is the new board presenting a radical plan to restructure and transform the company through drastic measures.

Across the three divisions there is talk of withdrawing from non-profitable businesses. For the Imaging Division there is a planned 40% reduction of manufacturing capacity by March 2017 (and I would guess that the bulk of that will come sooner rather than later), mainly low end compacts I agree. But 40% is still a radical reduction, particularly as there are firm plans to increase the volume of mirrorless cameras and further develop the high end compact range.

There is a modest planned reduction in R&D budget, with talk of resources concentrated where they will be most effective (i.e. mirrorless). There is also a demand that the company returns to being innovative, so more development of mirrorless technology against a lower overall budget. The expectation of being more innovative may very well include the resolution of the PDAF lens focusing issue - PDQ and ASAP. That would obviate the need for an interim DSLR and unless the development of one is quite advanced (almost to production level) at this very moment, I now doubt we'll see one.

However, I must emphasize that this is just my personal view. It is pure speculation, based upon my completely non-expert interpretation and attempt to read between the lines of this latest document.

bilbo
8th June 2012, 03:37 PM
"In the Imaging Business, we will review our product lineup by allocating management resources with a focus on mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras and high-end compact cameras while improving profitability. In addition, we will strive to achieve profitability in fiscal year ending March 2013 and establish a revenue structure that will enable us to continue generating a steady income stream in the following years. We will do so by enhancing productivity through the restructuring of our existing manufacturing functions, selection and concentration of our advertising expense and reduction of SG&A expenses through personnel optimization. "

That's pretty clear isn't it?

Are we still expecting to see an E-7?