PDA

View Full Version : Studio set up

gregles
7th June 2012, 09:40 PM
I have just taken possession (on loan at the moment ) of a complete studio set up. The lights are Portaflash 336s, including the soft box, reflector umbrella etc.
There are two pop up backgrounds, both reversible, with trains. Lots more stuff including a posing thing for taking baby pics:) Everything seems to be in very good order and both main lights function perfectly.

I don't have a flash meter so shot a few frames at f8 1/200, using the 50mm f2 which according to the histogram on the E30 were slightly under exposed. I haven't looked at them on the pc as yet but they looked pretty good in camera.

Any tips on using these lights would be very much appreciated. I could not find any really useful links on you tube or by searching google.

Thanks in advance

Greg:)

bilbo
8th June 2012, 03:59 PM
I don't know those particular lights but be wary of plugging the lead directly into your camera's sync socket as this has the potential (pun intended) to put a huge voltage into your immediately frazzled camera...

gregles
8th June 2012, 05:52 PM
Sync voltage is 5 volts so fine for the E system:)

I will have another play with them tonight and hopefully work out exposures etc.

Greg

gregles
20th June 2012, 03:06 PM
I think, having read a little more, that the sync voltage is actually 9 volts but so far this has not fried the camera, thank goodness:)

Greg

OlyPaul
20th June 2012, 04:00 PM
That only applies to the hot shoe Greg, if you are using the sync socket on the E-30 body then you are good for up to 240v.:)

gregles
20th June 2012, 04:53 PM
Thank you Paul, you have really put my mind at rest:)

Greg