PDA

View Full Version : 12-50mm E-M5 kit lens making clunking noise when off camera

garoth
7th June 2012, 10:59 AM
Hi there

I've just bought a slightly used OM-D with 12-50mm kit lens, and overall I'm very happy with it. However, I noticed that the kit lens, when turned upside-down and back again makes a clunking noise.

I know OIS lenses sometimes clunk when moved about, but this lens does not have OIS.

I happened to have another copy of the 12-50mm lens available, and it does not exhibit this noise, which is really the only reason I suspect an abnormality.

The lens works fine and performs well optically when connected to the camera.

Does anyone else with this lens hear this clunking noise? Reason to worry?

I've attached a recording of the noise - hopefully it's audible enough - might need some headphones.

Thanks for any tips

Ian
7th June 2012, 11:02 AM
It shouldn't clunk - the lens is of course still under warranty so I would get it seen to by Olympus.

Ian

StephenL
7th June 2012, 11:58 AM
I've just tried mine, and yes it clunks! It's the same no matter which position the zoom action ring is set to - macro, electric zoom, or manual zoom.

garoth
7th June 2012, 12:05 PM
Finally, someone else! =)

As an amendment to my initial observation:

The lens DOES in fact clunk when connected to the camera and shaking it when the camera is OFF. When the camera is ON then it does not. Same for you?

peak4
7th June 2012, 12:13 PM
Mine seems to clunk whether the camera is on or off

StephenL
7th June 2012, 12:15 PM
Finally, someone else! =)

As an amendment to my initial observation:

The lens DOES in fact clunk when connected to the camera and shaking it when the camera is OFF. When the camera is ON then it does not. Same for you?

This is also true.

I haven't noticed it before as I rarely use this lens, but co-incidentally it's on the camera just now for some "macro" shots.

garoth
7th June 2012, 12:17 PM
Mine seems to clunk whether the camera is on or off

Strange..! But otherwise fine?

garoth
7th June 2012, 12:20 PM
This is also true.

I haven't noticed it before as I rarely use this lens, but co-incidentally it's on the camera just now for some "macro" shots.

Well, reassuring to hear that others can hear it. I was only worried really because the other copy of the lens I had did not make the noise.

So you aren't too concerned then?

StephenL
7th June 2012, 12:28 PM
Well, reassuring to hear that others can hear it. I was only worried really because the other copy of the lens I had did not make the noise.

So you aren't too concerned then?

I'd like to hear from Olympus that it's nothing to worry about, but I'm happy enough to put up with it till something fails. After all, there IS 2 years warranty.

Ross the fiddler
7th June 2012, 12:36 PM
I've just tried mine, and yes it clunks! It's the same no matter which position the zoom action ring is set to - macro, electric zoom, or manual zoom.

Yes, mine will clunk if tipped from end to end.

Graham_of_Rainham
7th June 2012, 01:13 PM
SO: The body "hums", the lens "clunks"...

But the images are less noisey :D

garoth
7th June 2012, 01:28 PM
Ah, sweet conservation of misery

StephenL
7th June 2012, 02:56 PM
Just spoken to Olympus technical support, who say that it is normal, and due to it being a zoom lens (!). They think it's simply production tolerances and is nothing to worry about.

Ian
7th June 2012, 03:12 PM
OK, I have investigated this with my own lens and there is a faint noise when the lens is up-ended. I wouldn't say it was a 'clunk'. So, nothing to worry about - in fact I had not noticed this until reading this thread!

Ian

Greytop
7th June 2012, 03:14 PM
Like Ross and Ian describe, mine has what I would call a 'soft' clunk if tipped end to end.
I'm not too concerned, optically it seems quite good if stopped down.

garoth
7th June 2012, 03:20 PM
OK, I have investigated this with my own lens and there is a faint noise when the lens is up-ended. I wouldn't say it was a 'clunk'. So, nothing to worry about - in fact I had not noticed this until reading this thread!

Ian

Yeah, the other copy of the lens I looked at definitely has something shifting around inside, but no pronounced clunk like the copy that came with my kit

Ross the fiddler
7th June 2012, 09:37 PM

Ian

I guess it depends on how heavy handed 'one' is when testing it. ;)

Loup Garou
5th July 2012, 08:42 PM
Tried mine. No clunk on-camera and a very soft one when tipped end-to-end as though there is a slight play somewhere. Methinks it might be someting to do with the dual function zoom ring assembly. Not bothered by it.