PDA

View Full Version : Hen's teeth and the BLN-1

smartwombat
2nd June 2012, 11:34 AM
Or, searching for a BLN-1 before next weekend.
Actually I wanted it before this weekend but that proved impossible.

I've seen on the WWW some clone batteries that have the 5 terminals not just 3, but I'm not sure about no-name (chinese?) clones.
My Hahnel EP-1 battery has worked fine for years, and gives almost the same endurance as the original, so I'd get one of theirs without question.

But BLN-1 of any description are like hen's teeth; SRS, WEX, Park, T4, Jessops (yes I am desperate) all out of stock.
Anyone seen any batteries out there?

StephenL
2nd June 2012, 11:49 AM
SRS seem to be the people who can get them. I got mine from them after a 10 day wait.

jamsa
2nd June 2012, 01:30 PM
THIS JUST SHOWS HOW HARD TO COME BY THE GENUINE THING IS!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Olympus-BLN-1-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion-Battery-1220mAH-OM-D-E-M5-B100-/110885500377?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item19d14a75d9

StephenL
2nd June 2012, 05:12 PM
And 11 people have bought into this!!!

trailer
3rd June 2012, 09:50 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190686572472&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1656wt_922

Not sure if these work with the OM charger but they seem to be in the UK.

Olybirder
3rd June 2012, 10:23 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190686572472&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123#ht_1656wt_922

I have to say that advert doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. The inclusion of Santa and the encouragement to order before 7 Dec. for delivery by 24 Decmber [sic] suggests a lack of attention to detail. The quirky English is a little worrying too.

The battery has 'use specified charger only' printed on it but I can't see any mention of what that charger might be. Having said all that, they might be superb!

Ron

trailer
3rd June 2012, 10:33 AM
I was looking back to see where I bought my back up batteries from earlier last year. It was from the same seller as I linked to above. I haven't had any issues with those. Its a bit ambiguous as to what charger they are compatible with though.

Greytop
3rd June 2012, 11:14 AM
SRS seem to be the people who can get them. I got mine from them after a 10 day wait.

SRS had an initial batch but since then it's been Tumble Weed Town... a recent update was the they had been two weeks from Oly UK but that has been and passed on several occasions.
The latest is now that Olympus cannot give them a confirmed delivery time :(

My single BLN1 is currently being worked overtime :eek:

Ross the fiddler
3rd June 2012, 11:19 AM
THIS JUST SHOWS HOW HARD TO COME BY THE GENUINE THING IS!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Olympus-BLN-1-Rechargeable-Lithium-Ion-Battery-1220mAH-OM-D-E-M5-B100-/110885500377?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item19d14a75d9

You'd have to be pretty keen or desperate at that price. :eek:

StephenL
3rd June 2012, 11:33 AM
I have to say that advert doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. The inclusion of Santa and the encouragement to order before 7 Dec. for delivery by 24 Decmber [sic] suggests a lack of attention to detail. The quirky English is a little worrying too.

The battery has 'used specified charger only' printed on it but I can't see any mention of what that charger might be. Having said all that, they might be superb!

Ron

I've sent the seller a question. But the seller is based in Hong Kong ...

Ross the fiddler
3rd June 2012, 12:13 PM
I've sent the seller a question. But the seller is based in Hong Kong ...

Of course! :rolleyes:

Some good things come from there, but there are those that aren't so good to deal with.

bredman
3rd June 2012, 12:52 PM

Isn't that voltage too low?

StephenL
4th June 2012, 06:44 AM
Well, the response to my question re charger has come back, and the seller claims it recharges in the original charger. So I've ordered one. We'll see!

StephenL
7th June 2012, 10:34 AM
UPDATE: The battery arrived today, but WILL NOT charge in the Olympus charger. I have contacted the seller and await their comments.

trailer
7th June 2012, 01:07 PM
That's unfortunate Stephen. I'm sorry for pointing folk in the direction of that link now.

I had bought a couple of copy batteries with the extra charger from Singapore earlier and they seem to work quite well. By accident, I have found that charger supplied with these copy batteries does charge the OEM battery. Whether that's a good thing I'm not sure though!

StephenL
7th June 2012, 02:05 PM
That's unfortunate Stephen. I'm sorry for pointing folk in the direction of that link now.

Don't apologise. These things have to be discovered. The seller when questioned originally stated that the battery could be charged in the Olympus charger - no mention was made of a different charger. The seller made a wrong statement, for which he shall be punished one way or another! At worst I've only lost 8. At best it's been an education which I hope other people will gain from.

bredman
7th June 2012, 04:11 PM
I have found that charger supplied with these copy batteries does charge the OEM battery. Whether that's a good thing I'm not sure though!

It shouldn't be a problem, it may not fully charge though at there is a difference (a small one) on voltage.

CallaWolf
7th June 2012, 05:52 PM
I have 3 of the clones and I'm v happy with performance so far

smartwombat
7th June 2012, 06:03 PM
I have 3 of the clones and I'm v happy with performance so far

Good news (though not for Olympus).
Which clones, from where, please?

I need at least one battery, preferably two, for this weekend (Thaxted morris ring meet) and the end of the month (Goodwood Festival of Speed).

jamsa
7th June 2012, 07:34 PM
I bought one from Ebay ( HK sourced). It arrived after two weeks but even came with a multi pin adapter free oc charge, standard charger and the battery that charged no problem in the supplied charger, and now resides in the grip. I would prefer an Olynpus battery but as they are nowhere to be found this will suffice for the wedding I am attending shortly :)

SteelD
9th June 2012, 09:54 AM
I always buy a spare battery for my cameras as I don't want to rely on a single battery when out for a day. Why are these batteries in such short supply? Can't Olympus make enough to meet deamnd or are they very obscure and just made in low volume for a limited market?

Does anybody know where I can get a usable spare before the end of June?

Greytop
9th June 2012, 10:02 AM
I believe Olympus has underestimated the demand for this camera and consequently the batteries too. I've been waiting for my OEM spare for many weeks.
Actually it's almost becoming a bit of a joke each time I speak to SRS they expect me to ask about my spare battery.

smartwombat
10th June 2012, 02:14 PM
I hear from most sources there are NONE in the UK at all.
I picked up a couple of Olympus staff business cards at FoI so I may give them a call.

Loup Garou
10th June 2012, 04:39 PM
I have learned to my cost that as far as camera batteries are concerned even the best made clones are some way behind the original in terms of holding charge at least, let alone possible problems. I too need one spare battery but have the Olympus BLN-1 on back order with Park cameras and will wait.

jamsa
10th June 2012, 05:33 PM
I have a "clone" as spare for the timebeing..the cheaper option better than none.
Olympus should have had 1 for each camera and then half again ready for the market. It isnt rocket science ..its marketing and sales strategy and atm they are losing sales to cheap branded alternatives.

SteelD
11th June 2012, 10:05 PM
Most camera makers give you tales of woe if you are tempted to use anything other than genuine original batteries. It certainly doesn't help their cause if they aren't in a position to sell you the right one.

Dizzychoonz
13th June 2012, 03:33 PM
Ok package fromm mallbox.co.uk arrived after 15 days.
Batteries seem reasonably sturdy, charger.. Not so much.
But travel adapter supplied. .omg.
Nasty and unsafe... Doesnt work unless you put pressure on the unit to make it touch the uk 3pin side of the plug...sparks flying when plugging in.. Scary.
However.. Its working now with a bit of light engineering... So will feed back how the battery cycling is going in a few days..
Might be enough to get me out of trouble... Even if i only get an hour out of each battery..
Hobsons choice really

Loup Garou
13th June 2012, 06:14 PM
Most camera makers give you tales of woe if you are tempted to use anything other than genuine original batteries. It certainly doesn't help their cause if they aren't in a position to sell you the right one.

True but it depends on what a particualr consumer wants and this might be different from one to the other. Personally, I decided a couple of years ago not to buy third party 'clone' batteries after dissatisfaction with a particularly 'reputable' brand. I know that camera manufacturers - particularly Panasonic - exaggerate the problems that might arise from non-original batteries but I also know that in the last 15 years no clone battery has worked anywhere as well as the original. I may have a slight obsessive personality but to me one battery lasting less time than another is extremely annoying. I would rather spend more money to get the quality I want than compromise.

rogher
20th June 2012, 09:52 PM
I ordered a BNL-1 battery from the Olympus e-shop at the beginning of May.
They accepted my order but later cancelled it, asking me to re-order when stocks become available.
So I must go back to the end of the queue and there's still no eta...

Loup Garou
21st June 2012, 05:33 AM
I have it on back order with Park Cameras. They have guardedly said that they might be getting some stock on 24th June but they are not certain yet. I am 31st on the waiting list and so might have to wait a bit longer. I have made up my mind that I will.

rogher
21st June 2012, 08:02 AM
On balance, I may try the cheap clones, get several and still save money.
Shame Olympus didn't anticipate demand, especially as their free grip needs one. I hope it'll by their loss and my gain.

StephenL
21st June 2012, 08:27 AM
Shame Olympus didn't anticipate demand, especially as their free grip needs one. I hope it'll by their loss and my gain.
I fully understand and accept your angst. However, the grip does not need a battery. You can still use the portrait grip without having a battery fitted (except of course the battery in the camera!). :)

rogher
21st June 2012, 02:08 PM
I don't 'do' portrait. All my shots are for landscape viewing at 16x9. I wonder how many others do this? I hardly ever print.

I'd only use the portrait part of the grip if I had a spare battery.
The other half of the grip enhances the use of the camera so I do use that.
I could put the battery into the portrait half to avoid having to remove the grip when the battery need recharging, I suppose.

Anyway, I still need at least one spare in case one gives up whilst out on a shoot. Sod's law says it will happen, and it has in the past, especially in low temperatures.

Bluegrass Jim
21st June 2012, 04:31 PM
I have one on order with Park Cameras, today I phoned them for an ETA and they said July!

Loup Garou
21st June 2012, 05:54 PM
I have one on order with Park Cameras, today I phoned them for an ETA and they said July!

You are probably further down the waiting list than I am....or, I am being given preferential treatment since I bought the camera from them! ;)

Bluegrass Jim
21st June 2012, 09:39 PM
Loup, I bought mine from Park as well, you must have bought yours before me!:rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
21st June 2012, 11:13 PM
I fully understand and accept your angst. However, the grip does not need a battery. You can still use the portrait grip without having a battery fitted (except of course the battery in the camera!). :)

I would imagine the battery could just be used in the grip if desired, wouldn't it? It would at least allow for a quick change-over.

Bikie John
22nd June 2012, 09:44 AM
I would imagine the battery could just be used in the grip if desired, wouldn't it? It would at least allow for a quick change-over.

Yes you can, it's nice and easy.

Ciao ... John

StephenL
22nd June 2012, 11:02 AM

That's very true.

Even though I like to take portrait-format shots, and like the way the portrait grip handles, I find myself rarely using that grip. Somehow it doesn't feel right when I'm carrying the camera. But I do find it a bit of a bind having to remove the grip to change the camera battery. Just another thing to drop!

As regards printing, I take all my shots on the presumption that the good ones may get printed at some point in time. In reality, I print about 10%.

Loup Garou
22nd June 2012, 05:39 PM
Spoke to Park Cameras again this afternoon. They said that they were definitely expecting a small consignment of BLN-1s next week but were not able to tell how many. They also said that they would be sent out on a strict first-come-first served basis depending on when the order was placed; the guy would not elaborate beyond that.