PDA

View Full Version : The OM-D and Polarising filters

Loup Garou
31st May 2012, 08:34 AM
People, what are your experiences using polarising filters with the OM-D and its lenses? I used to use it a lot when I had the old Canon EOS10 film camera but do not know how effective or useful the filter will be with a digital SLR - especially the Olympus' Micro-4/3 format lenses.

All advice and opinions will be appreciated, thank you.

Ian
31st May 2012, 09:15 AM
You can use polarising filters. Circular polarisers are recommended, but I think more traditional linear types will work. Linear poalrisers were not recommended for DSLRs because they could confuse phase-detect AF systems but that should not be a problem with mirrorless cameras like Pens and the E-M5. Be careful of uneven density, especially in blue skies, though.

Ian

StephenL
31st May 2012, 09:41 AM
For some reason I've found polarising filters to be less effective on Olympus Pen cameras than others. I don't know if this is only when using Olympus lenses as well - I've never thought to check. Not used one on my E-M5 yet (lack of sun, mainly!). But my tendency is to shoot using wider-angle lenses which, as Ian says, can lead to uneven blue skies if a polariser is fitted.

Bluegrass Jim
6th June 2012, 03:51 PM
I was using a circular polarising lens on Monday/Tuesday and would say it works fine and you can see the effect in the viewfinder. I think the rule from the 35mm days still applies that you shouldn't use on wider than 35mm lenses, ie. 18mm on the 12-50 as it won't polarise the whole sky. Vignetting also comes into play on wider lenses anyway.

Loup Garou
6th June 2012, 05:34 PM
Thanks Jim. I have ordered a circular polariser and will remember to yse it for only 18mm and above on the 12-50mm lens.

We are going to Borneo in September and hope to get some good pictures with the OM-D.