PDA

View Full Version : New Website/Blog

Zuiko
30th May 2012, 02:18 PM
I recently let my Clikpic website lapse because I couldn't afford to renew. However, thanks to a very kind benefactor I have now got a Zenfolio site with a Blog feature. I'm still getting to grips with it, but I must say that the drag and drop option of uploading pictures to the site is very simple and straightforward compared to what I was using.

It's very early days for my blog, with just two entries so far, but you will be welcome to drop in from time to time to see what's on my mind.

http://johnperriment.zenfolio.com/ :)

StephenL
30th May 2012, 02:28 PM
A good start, John. Hopefully I will get some inspiration from this.

Robusto
30th May 2012, 04:57 PM
John

just had a look at your site very insipring for me keep up the good work

snaarman
30th May 2012, 05:08 PM
That is a nice looking start. I've bookmarked you in my browser, so I will be back to check on progress...:)

Pete

Zuiko
30th May 2012, 05:56 PM
That is a nice looking start. I've bookmarked you in my browser, so I will be back to check on progress...:)

Pete

Oh dear, that puts the pressure on! :D

StephenL
30th May 2012, 06:15 PM
Oh dear, that puts the pressure on! :D
Be positive. Now you can put "as viewed by Snaarman" on it, like a Royal Warrant ;)

Lee
30th May 2012, 08:05 PM
John,
Some lovely photographs there. I like your 'Days of My Life' portfolio but the images from Hatfield Forest are very good too. I always struggle a bit in forests, far too many trees.
Keep up the good work.

Zuiko
30th May 2012, 08:21 PM
Be positive. Now you can put "as viewed by Snaarman" on it, like a Royal Warrant ;)

Hehe, I hadn't thought of that. :D

Zuiko
30th May 2012, 08:33 PM
John,
Some lovely photographs there. I like your 'Days of My Life' portfolio but the images from Hatfield Forest are very good too. I always struggle a bit in forests, far too many trees.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks Lee. The nice thing about Hatfield Forest is that it contains many open meadows in which single, large, mature trees have plenty of space. It's a lot easier than photographing in dense forests. :)

theMusicMan
30th May 2012, 09:42 PM
Just love that first shot in your latest Blog, John. That must have been a awesome experience - looks like you were at one with nature.

I simply must get out overnight in the Beacons sometime this summer. Must.

Great start to the blog. I'll be checking in regularly.

gregles
30th May 2012, 09:50 PM
Looks great so far John:)

All the best I will certainly be back for a look in the future;)

Greg

Zuiko
30th May 2012, 10:08 PM
Just love that first shot in your latest Blog, John. That must have been a awesome experience - looks like you were at one with nature.

I simply must get out overnight in the Beacons sometime this summer. Must.

Great start to the blog. I'll be checking in regularly.

You must, John. Do it while you are still able; I thought I would go on forever but age has a nasty habit of creeping up! Nothing beats a wild camp with a great view.

Often when out on my own for a few days I did feel "at one with nature." It's a state where your senses become heightened and the appreciation of your surroundings accentuated. Your mood becomes one of inner calm and peace.

Alone, but not lonely
Priceless asset, solitude
To be sought, not avoided
When found, deep gratitude

Thoughts become fluent
Real values take form
In tune with creation
Inner self is reborn

Beyond self limitation
In reach of any goal
In the temple of the hills
Emerge rejuvinated soul

OlyPaul
31st May 2012, 07:48 AM
A nice start John and Zenfolio is a good site.

If I may point out two things

1- You have the buy photos enabled, I'm presuming like my mine it is the standard Zen package. This means they are at the standard Photobox price with no profit. I disabled mine as I do not give work away.

2-And just a personnel thing, the viiwing size is a little small for me.

I hope you do not mind me mentioningg these John.

Zuiko
31st May 2012, 07:43 PM
A nice start John and Zenfolio is a good site.

If I may point out two things

1- You have the buy photos enabled, I'm presuming like my mine it is the standard Zen package. This means they are at the standard Photobox price with no profit. I disabled mine as I do not give work away.

2-And just a personnel thing, the viiwing size is a little small for me.

I hope you do not mind me mentioningg these John.

Hi Paul, thanks for the constructive feedback, it is most appreciated. :)

I hadn't even noticed that I was offering prints for sale; quality would be pretty rubbish from a 648 x 486 pixel file! :D After a bit of searching I found how to disable print sales, so thank you.

Is it the viewing size in the galleries or in the blog you find small? I'm uploading to the galleries at 648 pixels (longest side) at 72ppi, which gives a 9 inch image. I'm posting somewhat smaller in the blog to give what I think is a better balance with the text (they can always be viewed larger in the gallery) but maybe this is a mistake?

Thaks again. :)

greeng
31st May 2012, 08:45 PM
You seem to have an extraordinary eye for colour, so thanks very much for sharing - very impressive! Good luck with it - I will certainly be a regular viewer.

OlyPaul
31st May 2012, 09:22 PM
Is it the viewing size in the galleries or in the blog you find small? I'm uploading to the galleries at 648 pixels (longest side) at 72ppi, which gives a 9 inch image. I'm posting somewhat smaller in the blog to give what I think is a better balance with the text (they can always be viewed larger in the gallery) but maybe this is a mistake?

Thaks again. :)

John it is the resolution of the viewers screen that decides how big the images appear not a arbitrary figure of nine inches. The higher the screen resolution the smaller the images will appear.

For example on my 23inch monitor which has a resolution off 1920 x1080 they appear smaller and about six inches on the long side measuring it on the screen.

On a low res monitor of 800x 600 then they would appear nine inches on the screen.

The beauty of Zenfolio is that it will automaticaly change the viewing size of the image depending on the monitor resolution being used to view them, as long as the image uploaded is of sufficient size.

I usually upload at at 1024px long side for landscape and 760px for portrait and find that sufficient for viewing on a wide range of monitors.:)

Zuiko
31st May 2012, 09:56 PM
John it is the resolution of the viewers screen that decides how big the images appear not a arbitrary figure of nine inches. The higher the screen resolution the smaller the images will appear.

For example on my 23inch monitor which has a resolution off 1920 x1080 they appear smaller and about six inches on the long side measuring it on the screen.

On a low res monitor of 800x 600 then they would appear nine inches on the screen.

The beauty of Zenfolio is that it will automaticaly change the viewing size of the image depending on the monitor resolution being used to view them, as long as the image uploaded is of sufficient size.

I usually upload at at 1024px long side for landscape and 760px for portrait and find that sufficient for viewing on a wide range of monitors.:)

Thanks for clarifying that, Paul, looks like I've got a lot of resizing to do. :D

LMGruchy
1st June 2012, 06:15 AM
I have a problem reading white text on a black background because it makes my eyes go funny. No idea why. I avoid all blogs and websites like that, even my writer friend's. Just a snippet.

OlyPaul
1st June 2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Paul, looks like I've got a lot of resizing to do. :D

John has you now have LR have you thought of using that in conjunction with a plugin to upload them to Zenfolio, that way you can resize and upload at the click of a button, plus you can see/keep track of which images have been uploaded.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Picture00011.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/47409)

I use this one http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies

Zuiko
1st June 2012, 07:36 AM
John has you now have LR have you thought of using that in conjunction with a plugin to upload them to Zenfolio, that way you can resize and upload at the click of a button, plus you can see/keep track of which images have been uploaded.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Picture00011.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/47409)

I use this one http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies

I hadn't thought of that, I don't tend to use it! *chr

theMusicMan
1st June 2012, 07:41 AM
I mentioned this to you on the telephone, John. If you want me to show you how it all fits together via a hangout or webex, (like those you have attended previously), then just let me know and we can schedule something.

Later today maybe? it really is a great plug-in for Lightroom.

Zuiko
1st June 2012, 07:56 AM
I have a problem reading white text on a black background because it makes my eyes go funny. No idea why. I avoid all blogs and websites like that, even my writer friend's. Just a snippet.

Sorry about that, Linda, I chose a black background because I think it displays the pictures nicely. What do others think? Does anyone else suffer Linda's problem with white text on a black page?

Zuiko
1st June 2012, 08:10 AM
I mentioned this to you on the telephone, John. If you want me to show you how it all fits together via a hangout or webex, (like those you have attended previously), then just let me know and we can schedule something.

Later today maybe? it really is a great plug-in for Lightroom.

High John, the problem is I found Lightroom took over and made itself the default for uploading new pictures from my card reader. It no longer gave me the option of uploading to my well-established Windows Gallery (where I know how to find things), it didn't seem to do very much that ACR and Elements can't and I just didn't find it as easy, so I've removed it. I know most people find it a huge improvement, but I just didn't get it. :o