PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: Hands-on preview of the new Olympus m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8

Four Thirds User
24th May 2012, 05:10 AM
http://fourthirds-user.com/images/384/mzuiko75_01.jpg

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

We've been trying out a pre-production sample of the new Olympus m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 fast prime which promises to be a great studio portrait lens as well as a low light optic for things like stage events and indoor sports action. Find out what our first impressions were.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/05/exclusive_handson_preview_of_the_new_olympus_mzuik o_75mm_f18.php)

Ian
24th May 2012, 06:57 AM
Interested to hear everyone's opinions on the new 75mm. It looks likely to be another exceptional performer.

Ian

Zuiko
24th May 2012, 08:07 AM
Let's hope Olympus are able to maintain the extremely tight tolences of construction required for this lens, otherwise it could be easier to get a duff copy compared to other lenses.

That said, this looks to be a superb lens which will further strengthen the system and its professional credentials. Whilst offering great value for what it is (quality always costs) many of us will have little hope of owning one. Still, in due course Ian's hire service will no doubt give people the opportunity to use one for specific ocassions and it's not like we haven't already got a fast, affordable telephoto, albeit only 45mm. That's the point, the m.Zuiko range is gradually developing into something for everyone and with Panasonic's contribution the list of available native lenses is becoming very comprehensive indeed.

StephenL
24th May 2012, 08:08 AM
Certainly looks good, and it's gratifying to see that Olympus are putting money into developing quality lenses for the m4/3 system.

Will I buy one? No, not for a good while. I already have a quality 75mm lens, the manual-focus Voigtlander Color-Heliar f2.5mm. Cost me a fraction of what Olympus are asking. And that DOES have a focus and DoF scale. But it's manual focus, and sooner or later my eyes will no longer be able to do a competent job of focussing and I will have to rely on auto-focus. Then I might buy the Olympus.

Zuiko
24th May 2012, 08:40 AM
.... sooner or later my eyes will no longer be able to do a competent job of focussing and I will have to rely on auto-focus. Then I might buy the Olympus.

Let's hope that is a long time off, Stephen, then you'll have plenty of time to save!

Ian
24th May 2012, 08:48 AM
I'm sure your Heliar is a fun lens to use but I doubt it is as sharp and aberration free as the new m.Zuiko 75mm. I also think the new ZERO lens coating technology is vital for Olympus as internal reflections have been a weakness in some Zuiko lenses, notably the 70-300, which I recently discovered suffers from severe ghosting in very bright conditions and a bright and contrasty subjects. The Top Pro 14-35 f/2 has also been criticised for poor flare resistance - which can be explained because it's a very fast zoom with lots of lens elements.

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas
24th May 2012, 08:48 AM
It looks teriffic, like a proper lens with big glass front element, like these old 100/F2.8 Jenas and stuff. But why doesn't it feature a smooth sliding metal hood ?... that'd be a design triumph for modern times.

Edit : Seven (or eight?) hundred earth pounds, oh well not yet for me, but that price will sell plenty of units ... I think it's just liveable with and for such a specific tool what else could you use with good AF?

Edit : NOT the new Olympus 75mm, but for those who haven't one of these, check out the integral lens hood in slidey metal with big thread for extras.
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/134/integrallenshoodczj135e.jpg

StephenL
24th May 2012, 09:06 AM
I'm sure your Heliar is a fun lens to use but I doubt it is as sharp and aberration free as the new m.Zuiko 75mm.

Ian
That's probably very true. After all, it is an old design. But physically it's a great lens to use. :)

StephenL
24th May 2012, 09:08 AM
Let's hope that is a long time off, Stephen, then you'll have plenty of time to save!

Oh, I'm not so sure. My corrected eyesight is pretty near perfect, but even so I sometimes think I've manually focussed something spot-on, and found it's out-of-focus when I examine the results.

Zuiko
24th May 2012, 09:21 AM
Oh, I'm not so sure. My corrected eyesight is pretty near perfect, but even so I sometimes think I've manually focussed something spot-on, and found it's out-of-focus when I examine the results.

Don't forget we longer have manual focusing aids such as split prisms and fresnel lenses and although we have magnified view it is not always convenient. :)

Zuiko
24th May 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm sure your Heliar is a fun lens to use but I doubt it is as sharp and aberration free as the new m.Zuiko 75mm. I also think the new ZERO lens coating technology is vital for Olympus as internal reflections have been a weakness in some Zuiko lenses, notably the 70-300, which I recently discovered suffers from severe ghosting in very bright conditions and a bright and contrasty subjects. The Top Pro 14-35 f/2 has also been criticised for poor flare resistance - which can be explained because it's a very fast zoom with lots of lens elements.

Ian

The thing is, you pay your money and take your choice. There are many lenses in the Olympus stable that I will never afford, but it's nice that they are available to drool over. I think the new 75mm falls into that category and I can't wait to see some sample images. My best chance of owning a reasonably fast lens of this focal length, however, is the Heliar. :)

brianvickers
24th May 2012, 09:43 AM
Looks great, a very nice focal length - is there a teleconverter - if so that would make the 75mm better value as it could be used as a 150mm and 210mm (35mm equivalent) with a 1.4x converter.

Ian
24th May 2012, 09:47 AM
Interestingly, neither Panasonic nor Olympus has yet introduced a teleconverter for Micro Four Thirds.

This might be because the lenses originally introduced for Micro Four Thirds have been generally quite slow in aperture rating, making them less suitable for converters, but lenses like the 45 f/1.8, 75 f/1.8, plus the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and Leica 25 f/1.4 should, in theory, be quite handy when used with a converter.

Ian

The Technician
24th May 2012, 10:30 AM
Is it only avaliable in silver?

Ian
24th May 2012, 10:44 AM

That's my understanding. I'm trying to find out if there are any plans for black versions.

Ian

brianvickers
24th May 2012, 11:33 AM
My silver 45 and (about to be delivered 12mm) look pretty quirky on my black E-M5 - not sure if they look completely crazy or if they look especially technical - I prefer to think the latter.
The 75mm in black would look awesome!

sapper
24th May 2012, 11:37 AM

Could always paint it black.

The Technician
24th May 2012, 12:12 PM
Ah but not being weather sealed the paint might leak into the workings :D

Ross the fiddler
24th May 2012, 12:33 PM

Better stick to a texta pen then. :p

maccabeej
25th May 2012, 01:09 PM
My silver 45 and (about to be delivered 12mm) look pretty quirky on my black E-M5 - not sure if they look completely crazy or if they look especially technical - I prefer to think the latter.

I think you are right but also the silver on black looks very retro!!

Mark Thackara
28th May 2012, 05:40 PM
We hope to have a fully working sample pretty soon so if anyone is keen to have a go let us know and we will look to do at least two events combined with an opportunity to see OM-D if you have not already - one may have to be in London but the other could be Chester. If there is enough demand i will look at other locations too. Please feed back to Ian as I may not be able to check this as often as I would like.

DekHog
28th May 2012, 06:11 PM
It is a lens I'd love to own, and I would probably pay the money for it, but, unfortunately, not in silver!

It may seem petty, but I wouldn't buy a car in a colour I really disliked, so I certainly wouldn't spend what will probably be the best part of 900 on a lens that looks horrible and attracts attention on my black OM-D - the picture on page one of the thread proves that it does indeed look pretty awful with this combo! :)

Don't even mention the lens hood!! Another car analogy - 10% of the purchase price of your car to have the sun visors included? Granted, JJC will be along very soon with an exact replica at a reasonable price, so I could live with that....

StephenL
28th May 2012, 06:19 PM
I'm quite getting into silver lenses now I have the silver E-M5! And now I no longer have the black 75mm Voigtlander...

But I want to see the 60mm, plus I'd love a silver Olympus 25mm (hint, hint, if Mark's still listening!)

StephenL
28th May 2012, 06:21 PM

If you put the paint on thick enough, it might actually weather-proof it!

DekHog
28th May 2012, 07:37 PM
I'm quite getting into silver lenses now I have the silver E-M5!)

Yeah, but your black grip looks like pants on it..... :D

C'mon Olympus, give people the options they want. Nothing garish like neon green required, just a simple black or silver will do fine.....

Olybirder
28th May 2012, 09:44 PM
I really don't understand why Olympus do not include a hood with these expensive m4/3 lenses, especially when my much cheaper 4/3 14-42 zoom came with one. It seems like penny pinching to me and is counter-productive since many people are choosing the Panasonic equivalents because they come with 'all the trimmings'.

Ron

StephenL
29th May 2012, 06:38 AM
Yeah, but your black grip looks like pants on it..... :D

Naw, it looks great once you pimp it up with go-faster stripes :eek:

Steve Lane
29th May 2012, 03:41 PM
Like other replies on this thread, a black version would be nice. I am sure the silver version looks fine on the silver/black body, but I do not like it on the all black body.

I know it is just a tool, but I also like my kit to look pleasing to my eye.

Greytop
29th May 2012, 04:16 PM
It looks a superb lens, perhaps I'm the odd one in rather liking the look of a silver lens on a black body.
I think my 12 and 45 look right at home on my black E-M5 and grip :)

DekHog
30th May 2012, 05:36 PM
Well, at an announced 799 I would have saved 100 on what I expected to pay if I'd been buying it...... Panny 12-35mm has also been given a retail price of 999! I shudder a bit at what the 35-100mm will come in at when it's available. Still, it's good for m43 overall, and nice to have more choice, even if it's somewhat out of reach for the vast majority of people.....

Mark Thackara
6th June 2012, 02:12 PM
We will ask! MT

It is a lens I'd love to own, and I would probably pay the money for it, but, unfortunately, not in silver!

It may seem petty, but I wouldn't buy a car in a colour I really disliked, so I certainly wouldn't spend what will probably be the best part of 900 on a lens that looks horrible and attracts attention on my black OM-D - the picture on page one of the thread proves that it does indeed look pretty awful with this combo! :)

Don't even mention the lens hood!! Another car analogy - 10% of the purchase price of your car to have the sun visors included? Granted, JJC will be along very soon with an exact replica at a reasonable price, so I could live with that....

Ian
15th June 2012, 05:16 PM
I'll be able to use a production sample of the 75mm next week :) Will post downloadable samples asap!

Ian

Ian
21st June 2012, 05:26 PM
The good news is that I had a very productive afternoon shooting with the new Olympus m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and I have a good selection of camera RAW and JPEG samples for you to download and evaluate. The bad news is that there is an embargo on the publication of these images until next Monday morning. Sorry about that everyone!

Ian

Ian
21st June 2012, 05:26 PM
The good news is that I had a very productive afternoon shooting with the new Olympus m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8 and I have a good selection of camera RAW and JPEG samples for you to download and evaluate. The bad news is that there is an embargo on the publication of these images until next Monday morning. Sorry about that everyone!

Ian

Ian
21st June 2012, 05:55 PM
And by the way, when we weren't playing with 75mm 1.8s - we were doing things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPkYt3DEy34

:)

Ian

Ian
21st June 2012, 06:06 PM
I corrected it as you were posting your message, John - and your quote of my message has the correct link :D

Ian

Zuiko
21st June 2012, 06:25 PM
And by the way, when we weren't playing with 75mm 1.8s - we were doing things like this:

Ian

Ah, I get it. With the likes of Jacobs closing down we'll soon have to buy our cameras at the local pub. Imagine trying to get served on a busy Friday night.....

Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps, please.
I'll have two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps, please.
I'll have some pickled onions,
And a little bit of cheese, please.
Thank you.

Eh. Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps, please.
And I've got all the right money
And all that, please.
Thank you.

Oi! Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps, please.
Ay! Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps, please.
I've been here half hour
And I'm getting very thirsty!

Over here!
Oi! Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps, please.
Why won't you serve me?

Two Olympus TG-1's
Listen, I'm getting impatient, John!

Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps.
Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of crisps.
Two Olympus TG-1's and a packet of
(Time, gentlemen, please!)
And a packet of crisps.

Zuiko
21st June 2012, 06:26 PM
I corrected it as you were posting your message, John - and your quote of my message has the correct link :D

Ian

I realized that, Ian, so I deleted mine! :D

Ian
21st June 2012, 06:34 PM
John, you will have to go to the Pub to buy your TG-1:

"Bar steward," (say that carefully) "- a pint of best please, with a TG-1, thanks."

Oh - and a packet of crisps...

Ian

Robusto
21st June 2012, 09:05 PM
Had a play with the new 75mm tonight at the Barking Society but we are swore to keep shots and opinions to ourselves until Monday

Graham_of_Rainham
21st June 2012, 11:07 PM
It was certianly a very special evening at The Barking Photographic Society, thanks entirely to Mark and Olympus for bringing along some brand new kit and two very attractive young ladies for us to photograph.

Being given such an opportunity to try the new 75mm, was indeed highly appreciated.

George Dorn
22nd June 2012, 06:12 AM

Ian

Hehee move over Kai Wong!

Paint one pink next, maybe?

Graham_of_Rainham
23rd June 2012, 12:40 PM
An alternative to "Beer Goggles"

I wonder if the TG-1 in a glass of beer will improve the looks of some of the wannabe models we get to photograph :eek:

If my 1030 wasn't so tough, I could tell the wife I broke it and get a new TG-1 :rolleyes:

I really do enjoy playing with new toys and this is just the sort of thing that gives me ideas :cool: