PDA

View Full Version : Photo Book Advice Please

stoates
22nd May 2012, 05:49 PM
I have been given a task at work to produce a photo book which will be handed to some VIP guests on 01 Jun. Given the short amount of time I have I am hoping to glean some advice from forum members who may have had some experience with photo books (because I have none!:eek:)

As I use DSCL for my own photo printing I thought they would be a good starting point and the website seems to offer enough choice, at the right price, to meet various potential requirements which aren't fully decided yet eg layout, number of pages and photos etc). Has anybody used this service and do you have any comments good or bad? Also the book needs to be a reasonable standard (hard cover a must) given who they are to be presented too so are there any views on, or experience of, DSCL's 3 quality levels?

Any other suggestions would be greatfully accepted.

Many thanks.

jamie allan
22nd May 2012, 05:59 PM
Steve,
I haven't used DSCL but did use Pixum for a hardback photobook of my daughter's wedding and I was very pleased with it. The order was dispatched within 2 days of it going in and arrived well packed and undamaged.

Wee man
22nd May 2012, 06:05 PM
I to have used Pixum and was pleased with the result. I also have used Snapfish with good results.

stoates
22nd May 2012, 09:10 PM
Jamie, Ed - thank you both for the response. I am just away to have a look at Pixum.

*chr

shirley
23rd May 2012, 05:50 AM
Hello,
Have you tried Blurb?
I have produced quite a few books, a couple for weddings, a few photogrpahy books for myself and a couple for my school. No problems with quality but they do take a while to arrive.
Shirley

Andel
23rd May 2012, 08:54 AM
I have used Kodak for a couple of photo books /wedding albums no complaints and fast service

Len

maccabeej
23rd May 2012, 11:41 AM
Hello,
Have you tried Blurb?
I have produced quite a few books, a couple for weddings, a few photogrpahy books for myself and a couple for my school. No problems with quality but they does take a while to arrive.
Shirley
I have also used Blurb and can vouch for the finished product but as Shirley says the delivery times are a bit long. Probably too tight for your timetable.
Jim

Ian Grego
23rd May 2012, 03:54 PM
Good evening,

Just to let you know I have used Aldi (dont laugh) for my photo books over the last 4 years and I have been happy with results. Only one amount of postage for any number of books.

Ian

Adagio
23rd May 2012, 06:03 PM
I now use Photoworld - My Cewe Photobooks (the photo paper version) exclusively. Super quality and very flexible software. Not the cheapest.

stoates
23rd May 2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I will have to write Blurb off due to the delivery times but will have a look at the others this evening - along with the hundreds of images I have to sift through to find the most suitable. :eek:

jamie allan
23rd May 2012, 08:58 PM
Steve,
Old age on my part caused me to forget that I have also used Jessops and it was pretty quick. I had a hardback photobook made, ordered online and booked to be picked up at Jessops in Glasgow. I sent the order in at 1530 on 20th December and it was available in the local store on 23rd December. The local store doesn't do the processing but receives nightly couriered orders.
I appreciate you'd need go to Inverness if you wanted it that quick but I think it would only add another day if you wanted it delivered to your home

xp1
24th May 2012, 08:01 AM
This one is like the Aldi post so please don't snigger. I have used these a few times with no problems and a great product.

http://www.tescophoto.com/photo_books

Janet
24th May 2012, 10:46 AM
I'd also vote for Aldi...great prices, excellent quality and very fast turnaround.

I was very dubious when I first used them, but I can't fault their service or products.

Janet

jonesy
25th May 2012, 11:46 AM
For my cousins wedding photos I used Photobox. Lovely quality, but a little expensive. Very easy to use and set up exactly how you wanted the book to look, a nice choice of paper / backgrounds too.