PDA

View Full Version : E-M5's Arrived!

Bluegrass Jim
21st May 2012, 03:52 PM
My E-M5 has arrived at last and it's sunny! Just got to wait for the battery to charge and then I'm off! First impression is how small it is - haven't tried it next to the OM4 yet but it looks absolutely fantastic in the silver hence the long wait since ordering in Feb. Next thing is to put the serial no. into Olympus for the grip and then I'm sorted. Hope everyone else who is waiting gets theirs soon.

CJJE
21st May 2012, 04:33 PM
Got mine today too!! Don't batteries take a long time to charge when you're waiting impatiently!

But when mine was charged up I was pleased to find it already had the firmware update installed (v1.1)! Now just getting to grips with the menu options...

Must say I'm disappointed to find that Olympus charge extra for lens hoods and lens pouches (unlike Panasonic) and that you have to print out your own user manual as the thick basic manual only has 10 pages in English! (Think of it as an Olympus Rosetta Stone??)

Chris

bredman
21st May 2012, 04:58 PM
Congratulations fellas. Patience is a virtue (even when you have no choice :)).

*chr

Bluegrass Jim
21st May 2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks Bredman and CJJE, I've been out and taken a few which I would post here but the filesize is too big (2.6MB) and I don't know how to reduce them for the forum. Any advice will be gratefully received, I'll look around the threads as well when I get time. It's a great camera so far, I was impressed with the macro and the power zoom is good too.

Ross the fiddler
22nd May 2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks Bredman and CJJE, I've been out and taken a few which I would post here but the filesize is too big (2.6MB) and I don't know how to reduce them for the forum. Any advice will be gratefully received, I'll look around the threads as well when I get time. It's a great camera so far, I was impressed with the macro and the power zoom is good too.

I use Olympus Viewer 2 & in the edit selection, I open the resize tab & type in the length on the long side to 800 (or 900 sometimes) & then 'Save As' (& extending the file name to make another file from the original), but to keep the actually file size down, I save in 'Standard Quality'. Click on the following image & hopefully there will be enough detail to show you what I mean.

Bluegrass Jim
22nd May 2012, 07:30 PM
Hello Ross, thanks for your advice about reducing file sizes I've loaded up the viewer 2 and attached one here. This is one of the first I took with the E-M5 last night at about 9pm. I like being able to change the format to 16-9 for landscapes.

Ross the fiddler
22nd May 2012, 11:54 PM
Hello Ross, thanks for your advice about reducing file sizes I've loaded up the viewer 2 and attached one here. This is one of the first I took with the E-M5 last night at about 9pm. I like being able to change the format to 16-9 for landscapes.

That looks nice, but I'd like like to see a bigger image of it. I think you put 600 on the long side & I would have made that the vertical size instead & let the long side be what it wants to be (1067 by calculation). The main limitation is given to allow the photo to be viewed in full on the computer screen without scrolling, but that doesn't stop some posters. I will now refer you to the front page & to the right, under Highlights are Video Tutorials An introduction to uploading your photos to this site's photo gallery & How to include your gallery photos in your forum posts.

I normally use My Pics at the right of the post compiling box & I select the option of Clickable thumb (to gallery) & when the line is in the compiling box, I delete the section thumbs/ from that line & the original size will be displayed in the thread, but also it can be clicked on to go back to your gallery photos. Other things like my screen shot are just added as attachments (I don't need that in my gallery).

Hope that helps.
*chr

dko22
31st May 2012, 05:12 PM
I came back from holiday to find my silver E-M5 had been sitting in Jacobs for a week! And they didn't expect to get even the black one in until about mid-June so obviously things are moving. As it has rained pretty well non-stop since getting it (yes, I know the camera is rainproof but i'm not!), I'll defer full comments until I've managed to get some outdoor pics but looking good so far. Have pretty well managed to get it set up to my liking --- but for one thing. Does anyone know if playback can transfer seamlessly between EVF and monitor the way that liveview can? It seems that even if you switch off the eye sensor, playback defaults to the monitor and you need to press again to see it on the EVF. Clearly Olympus think you should review on the monitor (perhaps they're right --I'm still undecided on this one) but it seems daft not giving you an equal choice.

David

Loup Garou
1st June 2012, 07:17 PM
Mine arrived this afternoon by courier from Park Cameras. (I intertended to use my local Swindon store but they were out of stock and did not expect to get more for 2 weeks and were not sure of the silver body). After returning from work, I only had time to open the package and check that everything was in order before the wife yelled at me to get ready. We are eating out but I know I won't be enjoying the meal, thinking of the new camera.

I was really pleased with the build quality - it feels robust. I'll set it up and have a play over the BH weekend!

Ross the fiddler
2nd June 2012, 01:04 AM
Mine arrived this afternoon by courier from Park Cameras. (I intertended to use my local Swindon store but they were out of stock and did not expect to get more for 2 weeks and were not sure of the silver body). After returning from work, I only had time to open the package and check that everything was in order before the wife yelled at me to get ready. We are eating out but I know I won't be enjoying the meal, thinking of the new camera.

I was really pleased with the build quality - it feels robust. I'll set it up and have a play over the BH weekend!

Have fun with it when you can. My daughter is over there now & in your neck of the woods. She is having a Cream Tea (?) somewhere there. Wouldn't it be funny if you were too?

dko22
2nd June 2012, 08:21 AM
Olympus have now confirmed my grip application has been accepted so I should get that within 28 days. Still waiting for 250 of cashbacks from them.

My E-M5 has arrived at last and it's sunny! Just got to wait for the battery to charge and then I'm off! First impression is how small it is - haven't tried it next to the OM4 yet but it looks absolutely fantastic in the silver hence the long wait since ordering in Feb. Next thing is to put the serial no. into Olympus for the grip and then I'm sorted. Hope everyone else who is waiting gets theirs soon.

Loup Garou
2nd June 2012, 08:30 AM
I just rang my local Great Western Cameras and found that they have the FL-600R flashgun and the Olympus 17mm f/2.8 Micro four-thirds lens in stock. I'll go across and buy them later today. Makes me feel better after getting th camera kit itself from Park Cameras.

These days, it is nice to give one's local shop some business. I was upset after reading about Jacobs going into administration - the Leicester shop was once our local store.

smartwombat
2nd June 2012, 11:40 AM
Jacobs - is that the same Jacobs that were at Focus on Imaging and were one of the two recommended retailers from the Olympus stand where you could order the show special including the ERC and a BLN-1 ?

So did I pick the wrong stand :(

At least the camera was delivered before the end of the grip offer, and I had my HLD-6 in the post today.

Frank N Furter
2nd June 2012, 10:09 PM
Doesnt look good PAul :(

I also pre-ordered with Jacobs and haven't received any of the three bonus items (strap, battery and case).

I'm now hoping that they still honour the deal or Olympus UK sort it out for us....

dko22
3rd June 2012, 10:23 PM
Doesnt look good PAul :(

I also pre-ordered with Jacobs and haven't received any of the three bonus items (strap, battery and case).

I'm now hoping that they still honour the deal or Olympus UK sort it out for us....

Eh? What bonus items? Should I have been getting a free strap, battery and case from Jacobs?! News to me!

David

Frank N Furter
3rd June 2012, 10:32 PM
The bonuses were for preordering at Focus at the NEC from either Jacobs or Cameraworld.

Ross the fiddler
4th June 2012, 07:34 AM
I've just had an email to say my silver OM-D & 12-50 lens kit is available for pickup. The price was rather good from DigiDirect in Sydney & now it appears the wait (from the end of April) was worth it. *yes

*chr

Bluegrass Jim
4th June 2012, 05:59 PM
Great news Ross, I'm sure you'll love it when you get it. I'm pleased with the macro on the 12-50 here's one taken today of a lizard at Flanders Moss in Stirlingshire.

Loup Garou
4th June 2012, 06:25 PM
I've just had an email to say my silver OM-D & 12-50 lens kit is available for pickup. The price was rather good from DigiDirect in Sydney & now it appears the wait (from the end of April) was worth it. *yes

*chr

Congrats. Out of curiosity, how much does it cost "down under" compared with the UK? I paid 1149 for the kit.

Ross the fiddler
4th June 2012, 09:49 PM
Congrats. Out of curiosity, how much does it cost "down under" compared with the UK? I paid 1149 for the kit.

The retail price here is $1499, but I'm getting it for $1337 from a web supplier (http://www.digidirect.com.au/slr_cameras/olympus/olympus_om-d_e-m5_micro_four_thirds_camera_including_12-50mm_lens_-_silver) that has 3 shop fronts around Sydney & sources their products through a large (wholesale) camera group (of Aussie stock). I think I will take the train (1 1/2 hours) today & relax on the way back home with the horrible weather that is bearing down on us. Cold, wet & up to 70km winds expected this afternnoon.