PDA

View Full Version : Another try at Panoramics (or Panoramas, not sure)...

Susan
10th June 2008, 08:51 PM
Have given panoramic photography another go. Went up to the Falkirk wheel as we're not far from it, and it was such a lovely night.

Any C & C & Tips welcome

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/tp/wheel_1.jpg

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/tp/wheel_2.jpg

Thanks for looking
S :)

andym
10th June 2008, 08:55 PM
Susan

Both are very good but I prefer the first one just for the shadows and contrast.
What software did you use??
I have played with photomerge in elements 6 recently.Still not quite got the results good enough to post yet but getting there.

shirley
10th June 2008, 08:56 PM
I know absolutely nothing about panoramas but I knwo what I like and I think these are fabulous. The lighting works really well and the image is very sharp.
Excellent stuff.

Susan
10th June 2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks andy & shirley

Andy I used Photoshop CS3 photomerge. I chose the auto layout option as well. It astounds me that PS can do this, gone are the days of trying to match up prints heehee :D

Nick Temple-Fry
10th June 2008, 10:14 PM
Lovely shots - as they are not in the gallery I had to sneak across to "onemileahead" and expand them a bit in IE.

First one in particular - I could feel my eyes traversing across the shot - it's the diagonals that do it.

Yet another technique I've now got to learn.

Nick

blu-by-u
11th June 2008, 12:41 AM
Beautiful capture..Just a slight note...there is a hint of exposure error in the 1st picture..the blue sky on the left. Did you AEL lock?

andym
11th June 2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks andy & shirley

Andy I used Photoshop CS3 photomerge. I chose the auto layout option as well. It astounds me that PS can do this, gone are the days of trying to match up prints heehee :D

Susan

I am amazed how good the auto layout option in photomerge is.I've got to practice this more as I have a trip to Dartmoor coming up in about a months time and want to do panos then.

emirpprime
11th June 2008, 11:38 AM
Really nice shots Susan. I find teh second an interesting picture, but as Nick said, the diagonals in the first really draw you about the frame. Looks like a great night for it and you got the exposure bang on.
All the best,
Phil

StephenL
11th June 2008, 03:31 PM
I really like both of these - good clean images with great colour. The first seems better balanced, although I think it would benefit from having the grassery to the right cropped.
It's about time we went back there, as it's probably less than an hours journey for me.

Garrie
11th June 2008, 03:44 PM
How about a mini E forum meet at the Falkirk Wheel sometime?

StephenL
11th June 2008, 03:46 PM
Count me in - as long as it's not a weekend, or Friday, or Monday! In other words, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday!

How about a mini E forum meet at the Falkirk Wheel sometime?

Susan
15th June 2008, 07:53 PM
Cheers for all the comments folks, I've adjusted the shot a bit more and come up with this.

http://www.onemileahead.co.uk/tp/wheel_2a.jpg

I've printed out a couple on my works large format digital printer and the results are very pleasing, just gotta go and find a frame to fit the 1.4m width :D

Zuiko
15th June 2008, 08:17 PM
Cheers for all the comments folks, I've adjusted the shot a bit more and come up with this.

I've printed out a couple on my works large format digital printer and the results are very pleasing, just gotta go and find a frame to fit the 1.4m width :D

Hi Susan,

I definitely prefer this version of the first shot, it's tidied it up nicely. I would also like to see the second shot again with a little more saturation and contrast. Both images are superb.

Brilliant idea from Garrie for an E-Group meet. It's too far for me but I've arranged a couple down here for FTU and they really are good fun and very rewarding. Good luck with this one!

Cheers,

John

Yorkie
16th June 2008, 11:26 AM
Hi Susan,

Great work, the adjusted version pulls out the colours really well. The perspective achieved gives sooooo much depth.

All the best,

HughofBardfield
16th June 2008, 01:05 PM
Amazing shots. The first one looks like something out of a book cover or film poster for a Sci-Fi story!

I must have another go at panoramas.

Susan
16th June 2008, 07:22 PM
Cheers for all the positive comments :)

the falkirk wheel always amazes me when i see it, it's so big and shapely looking, almost sculptural in my opinion, but has such a fantastic function.
I was a bit shocked though that the visitor centre closes at 6pm even in the summer months. We had to get the security guard to let us out last tuesday, it was only coming up for 7pm and the lower gates in and out of the wheel area were closed. The main car park gates closed between 7:30 and 8pm, just as warning to anyone planning an evening visit :)

Cheers
Susan

StephenL
16th June 2008, 09:07 PM
Am I right in thinking it is illuminated at night? Or was that just at Christmas?

Graham_of_Rainham
17th June 2008, 08:26 AM

This is an improvement on a really good original(s). The picture is better balanced and gives me the feeling of "being there" which the first one didn't.

It is a great choice of subject and has been captured very well.

Graham

senthil
17th June 2008, 04:18 PM
Dear Susan, It's a Excellent one....

i could not findout the merging position....

Which camera did you use?

senthil
17th June 2008, 04:24 PM

i could not findout the merging areas....

Susan
17th June 2008, 11:06 PM

i could not findout the merging areas....

I used photoshop CS3 to merge the shots, it automatically adds layer masks to each layer to blend them, which makes it virtually impossible to see where the overlaps are.
The shots were all take on my E-500 using the 14-45 kit lens at 14mm

Cheers
Susan *chr