PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic announces 12-35mm f/2.8 X-series zoom

Four Thirds User
21st May 2012, 05:13 AM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

http://dpnow.com/images/8700.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/news.php)

LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm / F2.8 ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. (H-HS12035) Featuring F2.8 Brightness at Entire Zoom Range

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/05/panasonic_announces_1235mm_f28_xseries_zoom.php)

Zuiko
21st May 2012, 08:06 AM
Could be the standard zoom for the E-M5. It certainly fills an important gap in the MFT lens range. I'll be surprised if the optical performance is anything less than top notch. Initial details are a bit ambiguous regarding the level of sealing on this lens, it seems the lens may be sealed at the mount but not elsewhere. If it were fully sealed that really would be the icing on the cake.

Zuiko
21st May 2012, 08:37 AM
Unsurprisingly the price is likely to be around 1000. Still, it's nice to have a dream to aspire to! :rolleyes:

snaarman
21st May 2012, 08:44 AM
Oh that will look lovely on the front of my black E-M5. Mmm. F2.8 I shall order one immediately.

Pete

(Certain aspects of this message may be lies)

Greytop
21st May 2012, 09:18 AM
Looks very nice sat on the OM-D (picture on dpreview), nice price too if it's 1000 :eek:

Could be a very tempting solution if the weather sealing is to Oly standards but for the moment my 14-54 MkII and to a lesser extent the m4/3rds 12-50 have the inclement+general walk around covered.
Looking forward to seeing retail pricing and reviews *yes

zuiko-holic
21st May 2012, 09:26 AM
It looks great and I'm sure it will be a great lens.

Expensive but that's not surprising, after all it is a constant aperture f/2.8 24-70mm.

Still, I am waiting for the Zuiko version of a bright and fast standard zoom lens.

snaarman
21st May 2012, 09:45 AM
... but seriously, this and the even more tempting longer zoom they have planned start to make the E-M5 look like a proper system :)

DekHog
21st May 2012, 09:46 AM
Very nice indeed, and so it should be for the price. Unlike Pete I'm going to order two of them immediately! ;)

Olympus take note: a lens hood is supplied as standard!

Greytop
21st May 2012, 09:58 AM
Olympus take note: a lens hood is supplied as standard!

And no doubt a handy lens pouch, another 'take note' for our friends at Olympus.

spssco
21st May 2012, 10:24 AM
Just wish Olympus would make one too.......more variety of quality zooms. So far the primes have been good on this format with the EM5.

snaarman
21st May 2012, 11:08 AM
Oh, I just have to cut and paste this little nugget from the forum on the dark side..

As for exposure, a 24-70mm F/2.8 on (full frame) does have the same light intensity as the 12-35mm, but it has 4 times the image circle, meaning that it gathers 4 times as much light in total. If used with (full frame) you gather 4 times as much light, making it 4 times, or 2 stops, better than a m43 12-30mm F/2.8.

There you have it. Apparently a f2.8 lens on 4/3 is inherently 2 stops darker than a f2.8 lens on full frame. :o

But wait: On the same forum, I once read that a 4/3 lens is a stop or more brighter than full frame because all the light has to be "concentrated" onto the small sensor, which makes it brighter... :o:(

Words fail me..

Pete

Greytop
21st May 2012, 11:30 AM
He he, you would have thought that with an appreciation of simple physics falling on the lacking side of the wall, caution (read restraint) when commenting would be the best approach :confused:
Well it seems not :D

Must have a look later *chr

Zuiko
21st May 2012, 11:32 AM
Oh, I just have to cut and paste this little nugget from the forum on the dark side..

As for exposure, a 24-70mm F/2.8 on (full frame) does have the same light intensity as the 12-35mm, but it has 4 times the image circle, meaning that it gathers 4 times as much light in total. If used with (full frame) you gather 4 times as much light, making it 4 times, or 2 stops, better than a m43 12-30mm F/2.8.

There you have it. Apparently a f2.8 lens on 4/3 is inherently 2 stops darker than a f2.8 lens on full frame. :o

But wait: On the same forum, I once read that a 4/3 lens is a stop or more brighter than full frame because all the light has to be "concentrated" onto the small sensor, which makes it brighter... :o:(

Words fail me..

Pete

Something tells me I would just love to see the pictures which that guy takes, they could be most entertaining! :D

Ian
21st May 2012, 11:40 AM
The brightness for a given area of the frame is the same, no matter what the size of the frame is, for any lens that is of the same aperture. It's very simple!

What does differ according to the frame size is the depth of field. So a Four Thirds of Micro Four Thirds lens at f/2.8 will have the same depth of field as a lens two stops darker on a 'full frame' sensor or film frame - which is f/5.6, given the same focal length and focus distance.

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
21st May 2012, 03:34 PM
Wouldn't it be nice, if Olympus did do a surprize announcement at Brighton of a 12-35 f/2 (it can be that little bit quicker as it will not need OIS) :cool:

Ian
21st May 2012, 03:39 PM
Wouldn't it be nice, if Olympus did do a surprize announcement at Brighton of a 12-35 f/2 (it can be that little bit quicker as it will not need OIS) :cool:

Is that on the lens roadmap? :)

Brighton attendees will get a treat of sorts - but that's all I'm saying! :D

Ian

DekHog
21st May 2012, 04:27 PM

Hmm, Olympus and Panny tend not to exactly replicate each others lens focal lengths, so I'm not sure what Olympus will come back with in this case, if they even attempt to compete at all..... I hope they prove me wrong though.

Greytop
21st May 2012, 08:03 PM
Well SLRGear (http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1518/cat/69) have got their hands on one and it has to be said it's capabilities look rather excellent.

Zuiko
21st May 2012, 09:17 PM
If I could afford one I'd be quite happy that it was a Panasonic rather than Olympus. I know many of us have become accustomed to the optical excellence of Olympus but Panasonic have proved their excelllence too. Now Panasonic have come up with this I'd rather Olympus concentrated on filling another gap, particularly if it is confirmed that the 12-35mm is indeed fully weather sealed. :)

JonSchick
21st May 2012, 09:18 PM
Useful range and aperture - essentially a micro four thirds equivalent of the 16-45 f4 Pentax DA lens that was often glued to my K-7, but probably built to a higher standard and certainly for a much higher cost. I'm not convinced this lens is in my future, but if the 35-100/2.8 is of similar quality and not ridiculously priced, that really would fill a gap in my bag.... I'm looking forward to that one.

Rawcoll
22nd May 2012, 09:53 AM
Well, if the numbers are anything to go by, and the production editions are as good as the pre-production version, this looks to be every bit as capable as the Zuiko 12-60, if not slightly better. OK, it doesn't have the zoom range, but if that is the price for image quality, so be it. Looking forward to this one :). May be it is time to move totally to m4/3, and back to Olympus with the OMD.

Greytop
22nd May 2012, 10:06 AM
The test data certainly looks very good indeed.
I would like to hear a little more data on the environmental sealing aspect of the lens. If it's just an O-ring around the mount then I'm not so interested.

Greytop
23rd May 2012, 10:31 AM
Another review (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g-x-vario-12-35mm-f-2-8-lens-review-19240) :)

Greytop
31st May 2012, 08:02 AM
I find it odd that the 12-35 details (http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Digital+Camera/Lumix+G+Lenses/H-HS12035E/Overview/9593189/index.html?trackInfo=true) on the Panasonic UK web site make no mention of the environmental sealing.