PDA

View Full Version : Total Failure!

David Morison
20th May 2012, 10:39 PM
Sitting in a bird hide today I noticed that a large number of Swifts were flying low over a point on a small island. Now Swifts are amazingly speedy birds, they even make Swallows look pedestrian, so are a real challenge to capture in flight. However I reasoned that with the 9+ frames per second of the OMD I might stand a chance. So I manually focused on the appropriate point, set the camewra to shutter priority and 1000th of a second and let fire everytime a Swift was flying towards the location. After 340 images the battery ran out and an analysis afterwards on the PC I noted only one blurred wing tip.

Swift 1, me 0!!

I'll not give up though!

David

Danny
21st May 2012, 07:09 AM
Fair play to you for taking that challenge on - I'm still losing my running battle with the little blighters!!!

Ulfric M Douglas
21st May 2012, 07:21 AM
David can you explain a bit more?
I don't understand what worked/didn't work and what you wanted.

Chevvyf1
21st May 2012, 08:41 AM
David, they are on "my list" of to get shots ... they are farsssst :eek: which reminds me I must pop down to the Garage where they nest :D

kidslateinlife
21st May 2012, 12:04 PM
Don't be disheartened, if you Google the species you will see that there are very few great shot,s, when you compare it to a more common easy to shoot species.

One observation, most of the shots are overhead, rather than on a horizontal axis.

When you do capture one, it should be a keeper.

Olybirder
21st May 2012, 12:33 PM
I think Swifts must be the hardest birds of all for flight shots. I was at Strumpshaw Fen yesterday and there were hundreds of Swifts, Swallows and House Martins catching insects above us. I didn't even bother to lift my camera though - there was no point. Instead we just stood there in the silence and relished the experience of these supremely skilful fliers hurtling about just above our heads. Sometimes photographs are not really necessary.

Ron

bredman
21st May 2012, 12:46 PM
If i could come back as a bird, it would be as a swift.

Barr1e
21st May 2012, 05:24 PM
Hi David -

Ann1e and I decided not to stop and try to photograph some we saw last Saturday.

As for the blurred wingtip - congratualtions at least on achieving that.

I'm sure you will surprise us with one in the frame in the future.

Regards. Barr1e

Who's_E
21st May 2012, 07:27 PM
I don't envy you in that task, I remember trying to get snipe in flight once and had a similar hit rate (i.e. none).

You could always try using a 7-14mm and cropping slightly... :)

Nick

David Morison
22nd May 2012, 06:29 AM
I don't envy you in that task, I remember trying to get snipe in flight once and had a similar hit rate (i.e. none).

You could always try using a 7-14mm and cropping slightly... :)

Nick

Sound advice in a way, I think I will try using the lens at the short end (75mm) and cropping as I think the images from the EM-5 would stand it.

David

jamsa
22nd May 2012, 03:38 PM
I have swifts allover my house at the moment and also later on each evening bats too.
I have tried before even with video cameras and unless on a wide shot its alsmost impossible.. I will keep trying and to attempt to anticipate the shot too.lol