PDA

View Full Version : Help and advice please

shirley
19th May 2012, 08:06 AM
Hi all,
I will be lucky enough to see several Olympic events over the summer. The first is the torch relay which will be passing by my school early in the morning and I hope to have a literal 'birds eye' view from the roof ...it's not what you know but who you know!... I will be going to the canoe slalom and I have a number of tickets for the paralympics in the stadium.
I have done some research and it seems that, as things stand at the moment I will be able to take a dslr and lens into the venues provided they fit into a bag of the specified size. So the next question is which lens/camera combo to use.
I have an E30 and an EPL2. The telephoto lenses I own are 70-300, 12-60 and m14-140. I also have a x20 converter.
I am considering hiring the 50-200 for its speed, especially at the slalom, but really struggling to know what to use. The relay is really no problem because I can use both cameras with different lenses on so I can switch quickly, but the actual events will require me to take a slimmed down selection, not a bad thing but I want to get it right.
Personal experience has shown me that the converter is not too successful, especially hand held on 70-300 (!) but would it be usable with 50-200 and therefore give me increased range?

I am a bit rubbish at all this so any advice welcome.
Thank you
Shirley

IainMacD
19th May 2012, 08:19 AM
Hi Shirley
I have the 50-200 and the 1.4x converter which is a great combination that easily out performs the 70-300 (I recently sold). I tried the 1.4 on the 70-300 a few times but was always very disappointed with the results.
A few weeks ago I hired the 2x converter from Ian (for a weekend shooting sea birds that was cancelled!) and again was quite disappointed with the quality of the images when combined with the 50-200, but I didn't spend long trying to get the most out of it.
I think if you are going to hire the 50-200 to go with your E-30 and 2x converter you need some lead in time to establish how to get the most from it.
Ian published a thread (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19792&highlight=canoe&page=2) and created a gallery (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1405) that show how it can be done!
I hope this is useful?

shirley
19th May 2012, 08:28 AM
Yes I think that confirms what I have found. To be honest I have not had one usable pic using the x20 converter!!!

I have seen Ian's pics, in fact I am frustrated that I was unable to get along to that event, it would have been a brilliant opportunity to try things out.

From what you say I think it would be worthwhile hiring the X1.4 with the 50-200 if I was to go down that route, I wonder if Ian would do a deal for a longish hire of both lenses - :o

Does anybody have any opinions on the possibility of using the EPL2...or maybe, just possibly ;) the EM5!!?

Thanks for the thoughts Iain, very helpful

shirley
19th May 2012, 09:44 AM
Just an additional thought.
Has anybody tried 50-200 on micro system, specifically epl2 or em5?

Gwyver
19th May 2012, 04:50 PM
Just an additional thought.
Has anybody tried 50-200 on micro system, specifically epl2 or em5?

Yes, my MMF-3 arrived last week and I tried the EM-5 with my 50-200SWD (with and without an EC-14 attached) and with/without the HLD-6 grip. I wasn't comfortable with this arrangement because using S-AF the response was unacceptably slow, and the lock rate poor. Also the weight & balance didn't feel right.

Manual focus is OK, though I'm not sure this would work out for your intended use, if the subject-camera distance is frequently changing.

However, this is just my personal conclusion, there have been other reports on this forum stating that they were satisfied with the 50-200 on an EM-5.
I also tried my 12-60SWD on the EM-5 and this seemed much more usable.

Barr1e
19th May 2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Shirley -

I get good results with the 50-200 coupled with the 1.4 converter attached to the E-5.

Regards. Barr1e

Melaka
20th May 2012, 08:42 AM
The 50-200 with the 1.4x is a favourite of many on this forum and has produced some excellent photos. In my experience the 2x only works well with the SHG lenses such as the 90-250 or 300.

Shirley - my advice would be to sell the 2x and replace it with a 1.4x

Tordan58
21st May 2012, 10:17 AM
The 50-200 with the 1.4x is a favourite of many on this forum and has produced some excellent photos. In my experience the 2x only works well with the SHG lenses such as the 90-250 or 300.

Agree, I share this experience as well. The EC14 is a great companion to the 50-200 SWD whereas the EC20 is not.
/Tord