PDA

View Full Version : OMD Aftermarket Batteries

timg
17th May 2012, 01:57 PM
Thought this might be of interest to those of you with an EM5:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1086996-omd-em5-spare-battery-get-3.html#post7913211

StephenL
17th May 2012, 02:05 PM
Interesting. Thanks. The problem still remains that the charger they supply needs a further adaptor for UK use.

timg
17th May 2012, 02:15 PM
If I had a shiny new EM5, I really don't think I'd entrust it with batteries of unknown origin anyway!

StephenL
17th May 2012, 02:55 PM
Yes, that's one reason why I shelled out £60 for a genuine spare. At least, until known-make batteries come out.

bredman
17th May 2012, 03:23 PM
I've been keeping up with discussions on other boards/sites for some time with regard to these DTSE batteries and it seems they are fine in theory, and are fine - so far - in practice. They are weaker than stated, being 84% of the OEM battery, but they do charge to 8.4+ Volts which is correct. Surprising that the OEM batteries in the OEM charger charge to 8.66V, suggesting that Olympus are getting more out of the technology than is considered standard. I'm not certain if/how this affects the charging of the OEM battery in the 3rd party charger, not much i should think.

Another concern has been whether the batteries will communicate with the camera and show the current charge status. Reports suggest so far that they do, eliminating another worry.

I await their arrival.

bredman
17th May 2012, 03:25 PM
Interesting. Thanks. The problem still remains that the charger they supply needs a further adaptor for UK use.

Just one adaptor, a US to UK should do it.

Tradetalk
18th May 2012, 04:29 PM
My cheap (£21 for three including charger) batteries arrived this morning.
I charged them up and put them in the E-M5 and it recognised them fine including the one in the grip (the display shows PBH under the battery symbol).
Can't comment on the life yet obviously but will post when I know more.
Ironically the genuine BLN1 that I ordered off the Olympus website also arrived this morning from Belgium after 14 days!

Dave

jamsa
18th May 2012, 04:57 PM
I will need a second battery very soon due to a wedding in June...any info is appreciated as there are shortages of the standard battery,I may have to opt for the "alternatives".

jamsa
18th May 2012, 08:21 PM
http://www.mallbox.co.uk/goods.php?id=2273
UK supplier or it appears that way but perhaps this is the far east too (with different charger and two batteries at £39)

Dizzychoonz
12th June 2012, 04:00 PM
Mallbox uk shipped within 2 days of receiving the order...however latest info is "stuck in customs" for the last wo weeks...

Two weeks .???

And yes.. Hong kong based warehouse... With a lancashire address ...again ??

David Morison
12th June 2012, 04:12 PM
I had to go down the after-market batteries as I'm off to the West Coast of Scotland on Friday and will need the spares. They arrived a few days ago and I've been using them since charging. Very disappointed so far as they appear to have a very short life compared with the original, OK I know they will improve with more discharge/charge cycles but no where enough to match the original!

Olympus have really shot themselves in the foot over the availability of originals.

David

jamsa
12th June 2012, 05:45 PM
I had to go down the after-market batteries as I'm off to the West Coast of Scotland on Friday and will need the spares. They arrived a few days ago and I've been using them since charging. Very disappointed so far as they appear to have a very short life compared with the original, OK I know they will improve with more discharge/charge cycles but no where enough to match the original!

Olympus have really shot themselves in the foot over the availability of originals.

David

They are better than nothing when the perfect shot is in view!

peak4
12th June 2012, 05:46 PM
Very disappointed so far as they appear to have a very short life compared with the original,
David

David, There seems to be at least three generic types for sale on ebay at the moment.
I know they may all be the same innards, or maybe it's just the cases that are the same, but there are different labels.

Which ones did you end up with?

Grey DSTE Power (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1450mAh-BLN-1-BLN1-Battery-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-EM5-Cant-Use-BCN-1-Charger-/180875880354?pt=Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2a1d0ae7a2) Claiming to be 1450 mAh

Single white label (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLN-1-1999MAH-BATTERY-AND-BCN-1-CHARGER-Olympus-OM-D-E-M5-BLN1-BLN-1-Li-ion-/290721566460?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item43b05b0efc) Claiming to be 1999 mAh

Two white labels (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B126-1220mAh-Battery-Charger-Olympus-BLN-1-BLN1-OM-D-E-M5-EM5-/150828817568?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item231e191ca0) Claiming to be 1220 mAh

I'm not sure I believe any of the capacity ratings, but would be interested in comparisons before I commit to any more.

I did find a newsgroup posting (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1086996-omd-em5-spare-battery-get-3.html) (Post 48) where someone had taken one apart and found it to be reasonably well made, but with 1020 mAh cells inside,

possibly as per this advert (http://sz-ycpower.en.alibaba.com/product/548544948-212757949/newest_decoded_battery_for_BLN_1_7_4V_1020MAH_Batt ery_for_OLYMPUS_OM_D.html)

Here is the another posting (http://forum.tsebi.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=278) which I spotted and also exposes the insides of the charger.

I suspect that they will all be this latter lower capacity :(

SteelD
12th June 2012, 07:21 PM
If I had a shiny new EM5, I really don't think I'd entrust it with batteries of unknown origin anyway!
If I had a shiney new EM-5 and was going on a holiday of a lifetime, I'd think I have no choice.

timg
12th June 2012, 07:47 PM
If I had a shiney new EM-5 and was going on a holiday of a lifetime, I'd think I have no choice.

Perhaps, but at least there's a bit more information available now as people have received and tested them...

DekHog
14th June 2012, 10:59 AM
Looks like we have another choice now, and compatible with the OEM charger.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-Olympus-Warranty-Replacement-Lithium/dp/B008B82OC0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1339664099&sr=8-10&tag=vig-21

Westy
14th June 2012, 07:33 PM
Just ordered one of the Expo Battery's for just under £8-00 its got to be worth a punt.Will let all know if its any good once It arrives.*note

Loup Garou
14th June 2012, 08:55 PM
But aren't they rather suspiciously cheap? Is there any chance of screwing-up the camera's electronics?

OM USer
15th June 2012, 12:59 PM
Good find. Just checked the amazon.co.uk listing and it is coming up at £9.97 for me (not <£8.00) and didn't appear to state if it will or won't charge with Olympus charger. Even if it turns out the capacity is slightly down on the Olympus original the price/performance still looks good. Will await any reports as to (i) if charges with Olympus charger, (ii) displays a useable battery indication in viewfinder/screen

StephenL
15th June 2012, 02:01 PM
Hmm.. They only took £7.97 off me for one yesterday. Sounds like they originally had the price wrong.

Westy
15th June 2012, 02:15 PM
same here £7.97.

Extract from Amazon :-

Technical Details
Ex-Pro® High Capacity Long Life lithium-Ion cells with short-circuit, overvoltage and overheating protection.
Ex-Pro® Cell will meet the manufacturers original OEM specifications. 100% OEM compatible. This to me means it should charge on the Olympus charger.
Uses lithium-Ion technology to ensure maximum battery life and Power. Zero Memory Effect with low self discharge.
Manufactured using the highest quality materials, Grade A Cell Type, CE approved, ROHS Compliant certification. Ex-Pro® are registered Battery producers in the UK.
Ex-Pro batteries come with our 2 year manufacture defect replacement warranty.

jamsa
15th June 2012, 04:33 PM
I too have ordered one fo these from Amazon whilst they are still in stock. I will then cease using the Oriental version that was delivered last week and use it as back up emergencies only. This qute convinced me to order Quote"...Ex-Pro® replacement Li-ion Battery. Can be used as a replacement or additional battery. Our cell's are manufactured to the highest standard meeting or exceeding the orginal manufacturers specification and supplied with a 2 year RTB guarantee. Ex-Pro® batteries are fully tested and built with lithium-Ion technology to ensure maximum Power and battery life with zero memory effect and low self discharge. Compatible with your original battery and charger, save pounds on OEM manufactures replacement costs. Suitable for a wide range of Digital Camera's/Camcorders listed. High Capacity Long Life lithium-Ion cells with short-circuit, overvoltage and overheating protection..." SOUNDS GOOD!!

smartwombat
15th June 2012, 06:03 PM
Bought two sets, one each from MallBox and Best Batt.

MallBox don't seem to have great life, but work fine.

Best Batt don't actually fit in the HLD-6 !!
They slide in but are such a tight fit that the spring won't push them out again.

anroo
16th June 2012, 08:40 AM
Expro Battery - as sold on Amazon - still £7.97 at Expro's site http://www.exprodirect.com/?cat=14071

Dizzychoonz
16th June 2012, 08:49 AM
Looks like we have another choice now, and compatible with the OEM charger.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-Olympus-Warranty-Replacement-Lithium/dp/B008B82OC0/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1339664099&sr=8-10&tag=vig-21

Well ordered two on friday morning and they arrived next day....blimey..

however !!!!! They do not charge in the olympus charger... But seem to be charging in the aftermarket chargers... Will keep you informed of the results

Dizzychoonz
16th June 2012, 09:07 AM
They do however, fit nicely in both the body and battery grip on the e-m5.
i think they arevopening themselves up to a whole heap of trouble with the 100% compatible statement... Its blazingly obvious by placing one in the oem charger that it doesnt work !!

Seems to be deliberatly misleading to me as opposed to a genuine mistake..
But... We have spare batteries... Probably only 80% as good as the original.. But should still get acceptable performance for £8.
Coupled with the fact the the oem batteries are still non exhistent... There is no other choice.

B.t.w... I love you guys for doing this... More passion for photography on here than in the whole of olympus coporate together...
Now!! Time to get the ballrolling on this lack of hdmi monitoring....totally unnaceptable .

SteelD
16th June 2012, 10:32 AM
Might be wise to buy the ExPro charger with the batteries. Their site at http://www.exprodirect.com/?cat=14071 lists two chargers at two different prices but I can't see what the difference is between them. Anybody know?

Thanks

Dizzychoonz
16th June 2012, 10:39 AM
One is a twin two hour charger.
The other a lcd display single battery charger..

Gotta be the twin really...

jamsa
16th June 2012, 10:58 AM
Might be wise to buy the ExPro charger with the batteries. Their site at http://www.exprodirect.com/?cat=14071 lists two chargers at two different prices but I can't see what the difference is between them. Anybody know?

Thanks

One has an LCD charge level indicator according to the description

Stephen
16th June 2012, 10:59 AM
Hi All,
Got 2 x batteries + charger and car charger adaptor £17.99 from ebay "super cheap city" I know supposed to be a UK dealer, but that name!, took 4 days to arrive and appear to be good quality, now I know these 3rd party batteries don't charge on the olympus charger, but as anyone been brave enough to have tried their oly battery on the third party charger? if it works would save taking 2 chargers on hols etc, thanks
Steve

Loup Garou
16th June 2012, 12:39 PM
TBH, the more I read about this more I feel convinced that I am not going to push anything other than Olympus's original BLN-1 battery into my new OM-D. I'll wait for Park Cameras to deliver my spare when it arrives. *chr

DekHog
16th June 2012, 02:37 PM
Best Batt don't actually fit in the HLD-6 !!
They slide in but are such a tight fit that the spring won't push them out again.

My HLD-6 just arrived this morning and I was really pee'd off to discover that my eBay batteries don't fit it..... very close, but I know if I push that last 6mm in where it gets tight there's no way it's coming out again!

Greytop
16th June 2012, 02:43 PM
TBH, the more I read about this more I feel convinced that I am not going to push anything other than Olympus's original BLN-1 battery into my new OM-D. I'll wait for Park Cameras to deliver my spare when it arrives. *chr

Painful that is currently is, that is exactly my view point.

StephenL
16th June 2012, 02:49 PM
My HLD-6 just arrived this morning and I was really pee'd off to discover that my eBay batteries don't fit it..... very close, but I know if I push that last 6mm in where it gets tight there's no way it's coming out again!

The Amazon one does fit in the grip, but it don't charge in the Olympus charger. Yet another battery for the "just in case" pile! Good job I've got a genuine spare as well!

DekHog
16th June 2012, 03:08 PM
The Amazon one does fit in the grip, but it don't charge in the Olympus charger. Yet another battery for the "just in case" pile! Good job I've got a genuine spare as well!

That's good to know as I've got an Amazon one on the way. Not bothered about using the OEM charger as it's too big and clunky anyway and much prefer the eBay charger, so the Olympus item is back in the box and shall remain there..... you could send the Amazon battery back as it did state compatible with original charger.

We're going to end up spending more on batteries than the camera cost at this rate! :D

bredman
16th June 2012, 03:27 PM
Just as an update: the DSTE batteries and charger i have seem to be working fine. They hold the charge ok and don't seem to drain particularly faster than the OEM battery. Also, they fit in the grip.

I haven't charged my OEM battery in the DSTE charger yet, and i probably wont.

Does anyone here understand battery voltage at all? The OEM battery and charger will charge to approx 8.7V, the DSTE charger charges to 8.4V (which is standard for these batteries). Is there a potential issue with repeatedly charging the OEM battery to 8.4V in a 3rd party charger? If olympus are using a new chemistry to attain an extra 0.3V from their battery i feel there could be issues with repeated charging up to only 8.4V.

I would hope these other 3rd party options do at least charge up to the correct 8.4V minimum.

StephenL
16th June 2012, 04:53 PM
.... you could send the Amazon battery back as it did state compatible with original charger.

I could, but I'd have to pay postage. The guy from SuperCheapCity has agreed to send me a charger FoC. Maybe the guy from Amazon will do the same. Then I can sell some of these chargers ......

StephenL
16th June 2012, 04:55 PM
Does anyone here understand battery voltage at all?

Not enough to speak with certainty, but I don't think the voltage matters over much within certain tolerances. After all, check a car battery and it will rarely if ever be exactly 12v. But the complicated electronics in a car still work just fine.

The camera probably trims the voltage down to a lower value anyway. And its the MaH which determines the life of a charge.

Doug H
16th June 2012, 06:03 PM
I also ordered the Amazon battery; it arrived today but, sure enough, it doesn't work in the Olympus charger. 100% compatible it isn't! Will see what they say.
Doug

Westy
16th June 2012, 07:40 PM
The Amazon battery arrived today. First job I thought see if it charges in the Olympus charger. First attempt nothing no light on the charger. Tried again and the battery charger lit up. Left it for a few hours and tried it in both camera and grip. Shows full charge, so unless the battery was fully charged on arrival the Olympus charger worked. Cant say for certain till I run down the battery and try to charge again.

StephenL
17th June 2012, 06:33 AM
In all fairness, the Amazon supplier has sent me an RMA and freepost address to return the battery to. But since the thing charges in a 3rd party charger, for £7-odd I'll keep it as a "just in case" or portrait-grip battery.

I did try it several times in the Oly charger, but no luck - so far!

SteelD
17th June 2012, 09:17 AM
TBH, the more I read about this more I feel convinced that I am not going to push anything other than Olympus's original BLN-1 battery into my new OM-D.
The reality is that Olympus and most are other companies don't make their own batteries and are probably sourced from a supplier in Asia somewhere and re-branded as Olympus genuine parts. I have just checked my Olympus battery and is says "Cell made in Japan and further processed in Vietnam".

All manufacturing these days is a case of buying in the right components from other suppliers and frequently these suppliers are based in other countries where manufacturing costs are lower. We also shouldn't write off a component simply because it's made in China - the 45mm/f1.8 lens is a cracker but made in China. And remember that Japan's current success is based on starting out by making cheap copies of Western goods (cars, cameras, motorcycles, hifi etc.) many years ago. Japan got better and better and China is making great strides though still tainted by the cheap and tatty 'Made on Hong Kong' perception from a few years ago.

So, the ExPro battery probably isn't an Olympus re-badged battery as it appears to have slightly different tolerances when fitting the Olympus charger but that's not to say that the battery is going to be bad choice. In fact, in the absence of the genuine component from Olympus, it may well be the only choice for those of us going on holiday this year and wanting a backup battery.

Loup Garou
17th June 2012, 10:32 AM
Yes, but we must be able to differentiate between the good and not so good. These days, practically everything is made in China and so that alone will be of little help. But I believe that the old adage that you pay more for better quality does hold good even within China. "Original" camera batteries might be made in Timbuktoo but as long as they carry the original company logo, the equivalent quality control will be expected and usually delivered.

Between my wife and I we have found that 4 separate spare camera batteries made by "reputable" third parties did not work as well as expected. They did not cause electronic or other problems as such but they simply did not hold their charge long enough. When she bought a Leica a few years ago, my wife decided that she was only getting an original spare battery and was/is happy with her decision. I wavered a bit and got a InoV8 spare for my Canon S95 about 18 months ago. InoV8 batteries are supposed to be very good and even Cameras Underwater, the people who sold me the kit, suggested I get it. But over 100+ dives since then (I use the S95 for diving photos only), I have found without exception that the Canon original battery lasts 3 dives without problems whereas the InoV8 always starts flashing red during the second dive. Of course, I cannot change batteries underwater.

Some might argue that shorter working times are acceptable for dry land photography since the 3rd party batteries are so much cheaper, but I personally find this annoying and unacceptable. My view is that if I have spent over £2000 getting camera kit, additional lenses, flashgun, other spares etc, another £50 for a reliable spare battery is very sensible and of no practical financial consequence.

Do not get me wrong. I do not throw away money carelessly. With things like lens hoods, camera bags etc I am perfectly happy to buy (and have bought) third party stuff because they are simply mechanical items. I would not spend £250 on a Billingham bag when I know that I can get a rugged and workable Chinese imitation at less than one-fifths the cost.

SteelD
17th June 2012, 11:30 AM
I do understand your point Loup but two of the three batteries I use in my Canon EOS 5D no longer hold charge and are probably fit for the bin - and they are genuine Canon items.

You may also recall over the past few months that Dell, HP and Apple have had to recall products over battery quality issues. So, a makers name on a battery might give better confidence in that you would hope that it has gone through a stricter QC process but, sadly, it's no guarantee.

If the Olympus battery was available, I'd buy one, expensive though it is. However, I need a backup battery and currently have no choice but to buy third-party. Like others in this forum, I will see how I get on and give my thoughts and feedback here after using it for a while.

jamsa
17th June 2012, 11:39 AM
The fault lies with Olympus for failing to ensure sufficient stock of the BLN-1 battery. The camera is promoted even for semi/pro use etc but no photogrpaher would go out for a day with one camera battery! Olympus can improve the situation by ordering more, then running a promotional price for those currently using alternatives to "win" us back.
We have little choice atm but to use whatever we can. I still find it hard to believe that we can'tget hold of the Original Olympus branded batteries!

jamsa
17th June 2012, 12:01 PM
To my amazement I have just joined the Olympus UK companies user website and upon this page you will see even Olympus offerfor sale alternative brnded batteries for the Olympus cameras!!
http://www.olympususer.com/index.php?option=com_ppshop&cat=1&Itemid=24

StephenL
17th June 2012, 12:27 PM
I am not sure that this is an official Olympus magazine. And I see that only Hahnel are sold, and so far they've not released a BLN-1 equivalent.

Loup Garou
17th June 2012, 01:00 PM
SteelD;172052 I do understand your point Loup but two of the three batteries I use in my Canon EOS 5D no longer hold charge and are probably fit for the bin - and they are genuine Canon items. So, a makers name on a battery might give better confidence in that you would hope that it has gone through a stricter QC process but, sadly, it's no guarantee.
Understood. That's why I said that branded batteries usually work as expected. ;)

SteelD
17th June 2012, 01:39 PM
I am not sure that this is an official Olympus magazine. And I see that only Hahnel are sold, and so far they've not released a BLN-1 equivalent.
If you read the Terms of Use it says "OlympusUser.com is a website created and owned by Bright Publishing Ltd, which is the digital presence of Olympus User Magazine, the official Olympus subscription-only title published by Olympus and produced by Bright Publishing Ltd."

StephenL
17th June 2012, 01:53 PM
If you read the Terms of Use it says "OlympusUser.com is a website created and owned by Bright Publishing Ltd, which is the digital presence of Olympus User Magazine, the official Olympus subscription-only title published by Olympus and produced by Bright Publishing Ltd."

I sit corrected ! :) That explains why I've been waiting 2 months for my first copy :rolleyes:

OM USer
17th June 2012, 02:23 PM
I emailed ExPro via the Amazon link for re-assurance and this is what they say:
"Yes the batteries should work with your original charger."
I have gone ahead and ordered 2 but will be returning them if this is not the case. As all communication was through Amazon and is recorded I hope that returning them (if necessary) will not be a problem.

Doug H
18th June 2012, 09:45 AM
When I emailed ExPro to complain that their battery does not charge in the Olympus charger, they suggested (with a nice, prompt reply) I try their own. I still have the returns route open to me but I also want a second battery.

In the absence of any hint that Olympus are going to start meeting their customers' needs, I guess I have to go the route of the ExPro charger.

I'm begining to assume that in the light of the recent laptop battery issues where various computer companies were forced to do expensive battery recalls, some companies are going the route of chipping their batteries/chargers to ensure only their own products can be used. Makes some sense, I suppose, but if their own batteries were a more sensible price, there would be little need for comaptibles anyway. We've seen similar story with Epson (and maybe others) and inkjet cartridges.

Maybe one day camera manufacturers might be forced to go a similar route to mobile phone manufacturers and start to standardise batteries and/or chargers - probably not in my lifetime, though!

Doug

Stephen
18th June 2012, 03:57 PM
The battery x2 and charger from "super cheap city" on ebay did over 100 pics and still shows a full charge and fits the grip perfectly, so far so good, anyone yet tried the genuine battery on their third party charger

Mrs T
18th June 2012, 08:13 PM
When I emailed ExPro to complain that their battery does not charge in the Olympus charger, they suggested (with a nice, prompt reply) I try their own. I still have the returns route open to me but I also want a second battery.

We have had a different response to this and the two we ordered have been returned today, as they thought "there may have been an issue with the chip in the battery and they issued a returns for them to be returned for testing". They didn't make any suggestion of buying their own charger though.

Amanda

jamsa
19th June 2012, 02:07 PM
A reply I received recently from Olympus:Please accept our sincerest apologies for the difficulties experienced in getting hold of an OM-D battery. The camera has been such a runaway success that certain accessories have been slower to materialise than we would like. It is true to say things like batteries can lag the introduction of a new model and it is only 2 months since we started shipping the camera so this is not unusual. The success of the grip promotion has put added pressure on supply. Nevertheless we share your frustration and can confirm that we expect another delivery in early July. Please place an order with one of our OM-D Specialists (http://special.olympus.eu/omd-dealerlocator/en_GB ) as they should receive further supplies soon.

brian1208
19th June 2012, 03:04 PM
Did you try typing in your area (or indeed some others) I keep getting a "no result" which indicates they aren't taking orders yet :(

jamsa
19th June 2012, 03:28 PM
We have had a different response to this and the two we ordered have been returned today, as they thought "there may have been an issue with the chip in the battery and they issued a returns for them to be returned for testing". They didn't make any suggestion of buying their own charger though.

Amanda

My "ExPro" Amazon one arrived today and I can confirm that it does NOT charge in the Olympus charger...contradicting their very own advertised words!

OM USer
19th June 2012, 03:42 PM
I have just submitted a return for my Amazon ExPro batteries (x2). No matter how I prodded them in the charger I could not get the light to go on or the batteries to charge. I ran one down by setting the camera to video record until the battery went flat and then left it in the charger (with no light on) but after 4 hours the camera still didn't want to know.

Loup Garou
19th June 2012, 05:21 PM
I have just submitted a return for my Amazon ExPro batteries (x2). No matter how I prodded them in the charger I could not get the light to go on or the batteries to charge. I ran one down by setting the camera to video record until the battery went flat and then left it in the charger (with no light on) but after 4 hours the camera still didn't want to know.

Join the club. A friend who ordered them from Amazon was also dissatisfied (I do not yet know why) and is going to return them.

DekHog
19th June 2012, 05:43 PM
What's the big deal about them charging in the Olympus charger? Surely as long as they work well in the camera, that's what it's all about? *shrug

I just got mine this morning and had my daughter's university graduation this afternoon. I'd fully charged the Expro battery this morning, and had it in the camera body with only the landscape part of the grip attached - 250 shots and some video and still showing a full charge! Me, I'm more than happy for less than £10.....

OM USer
19th June 2012, 05:58 PM
Ah, but I don't have a charger that can charge these batteries. Maybe if I can get a free charger I will keep them.

As an aside I note that the descriptin on Amazon has changed. Under the technical details section it now says "NOTE: Due to internal chipping on your original battery this battery requires charging externally using a 3rd part charger (Ex-Pro or Similar brand. The unit will then function on your camera as per your original battery". However in the product description section it still says "Compatible with your original battery and charger"

Greytop
19th June 2012, 06:14 PM
A reply I received recently from Olympus:Please accept our sincerest apologies for the difficulties experienced in getting hold of an OM-D battery. The camera has been such a runaway success that certain accessories have been slower to materialise than we would like. It is true to say things like batteries can lag the introduction of a new model and it is only 2 months since we started shipping the camera so this is not unusual. The success of the grip promotion has put added pressure on supply. Nevertheless we share your frustration and can confirm that we expect another delivery in early July. Please place an order with one of our OM-D Specialists (http://special.olympus.eu/omd-dealerlocator/en_GB ) as they should receive further supplies soon.

Thanks for posting this response at least now we have a clearer idea of the situation.
This is beginning to get a little close for comfort for me (holidays), I might have to consider getting a couple of these ExPro batteries and a charger :confused:

Anybody purchased direct from ExPro (http://www.exprodirect.com/?cat=14071) rather than through Amazon?

DekHog
19th June 2012, 06:27 PM
....oh, and I was more than pleased that the Expro battery also fitted inside the grip no problem, unlike the eBay items.... :)

peak4
19th June 2012, 06:30 PM
Anybody purchased direct from ExPro (http://www.exprodirect.com/?cat=14071) rather than through Amazon?

They are currently showing as unavailable on Amazon, so the only choice would be ExPro directly anyway; unless they trade through other sites as well of course.
They seem well enough made, though one of the two I bought it a bit tight in the battery grip.

I'll probably keep them as reserves for my next holiday as I understand that mains power is rather unreliable in Albania.
I have emailed the seller via Amazon asking if they are due to get any replacements in which do work in the Olympus charger; in which case I've asked for an exchange.
I'll let you know how I get on.

jamsa
21st June 2012, 07:57 AM
They are currently showing as unavailable on Amazon, so the only choice would be ExPro directly anyway; unless they trade through other sites as well of course.
They seem well enough made, though one of the two I bought it a bit tight in the battery grip.

I'll probably keep them as reserves for my next holiday as I understand that mains power is rather unreliable in Albania.
I have emailed the seller via Amazon asking if they are due to get any replacements in which do work in the Olympus charger; in which case I've asked for an exchange.
I'll let you know how I get on.

I complained to Expro and Amazon a few days ago hence the change that was made...but at least Olympus say more originals will be in the UK early July.

StephenL
21st June 2012, 08:25 AM

I ordered some lens pouches from them the other day. They took my payment, sent an email that they had been despatched - then next day I had an email from Paypal saying that I had been refunded as the items were out of stock! Strange!

jdal
21st June 2012, 09:18 PM
My Ex-Pro batteries wouldn't charge in the Oly charger. I've given up and ordered 2 Oly ones from SRS. I've no long trips planned so I can afford to wait a bit. I have 2 cheapo's with their own charger, I don't want any more.

Loup Garou
28th June 2012, 09:28 PM
Digital Media Store, a UK based company (probably Chinese :D) are offering a compatible battery for the elusive BLN-1

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/battery_chargers/camera_and_camcorder/olympus/Olympus_BLN1_compatible_battery_x1__charger_kit__B AT-OYBLN1BUN-D

They are at least honest in accepting that their battery requires a separate charger (included) but claim that the Olympus original will charge normally in their charger! Also, there is talkof 100% safe operation, no memory effect and 1 year warranty. Is this for real?

Ross the fiddler
29th June 2012, 01:16 AM
I decided to buy mine (Chinese made after market ones) from a Melbourne supplier (Betta Batt brand) who give a $10,000 warranty against equipment damage from batteries they sell. I got the two batteries & charger since Oly Australia haven't yet given me an ETA for the original BLN-1's. I'll get one when I can, probably when I get the grip & then I'll have the two originals in use & only use the cheaper ones when I need to, putting the originals back in when they're charged. I do this with the E30 & grip.

Zuiko
29th June 2012, 01:29 AM
I haven't got an EM-5 yet, but maybe if I order a couple of spare batteries now I might receive them by the time I find a reasonably priced second hand camera! :D

OM USer
29th June 2012, 06:10 PM
I don't know if this link has been posted yet. Its an inside look at the "DSTE" branded replacement.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-thirds-standard-4-3-m43/1086996-omd-em5-spare-battery-get-3.html#post7913211

Loup Garou
29th June 2012, 06:33 PM
That was a useful link, thank you.

Greytop
3rd July 2012, 11:25 PM
I've given up waiting for my OEM battery to turn up *zzz
so I've ordered a couple of ExPro batteries and a charger :)

Ross the fiddler
4th July 2012, 12:34 AM

I did too, but with the Better Batt brand from a Melbourne supplier. They have a $10,000 equipment damage warranty with their products. The charger just takes the 12V input from either a car output or a 240V plug pack & flying lead. It's fine for me. Actually they state on the web page that the battery is only 1020mAh & not what the label says.

andym
4th July 2012, 07:31 AM

Although I'm lucky enough have one spare Oly battery I also have two Expro batteries and a charger.I find I needed these if I'm out all day.They give more or less the same amount of shots as the originals which in my case is about 170 per battery.
You can also charge the original Oly batteries in the Expro charger,I found this out by accident while not thinking.Seems to work OK so If you get the twin charger it's possible to charge two at one,very handy.

Ross the fiddler
4th July 2012, 11:09 AM
Although I'm lucky enough have one spare Oly battery I also have two Expro batteries and a charger.I find I needed these if I'm out all day.They give more or less the same amount of shots as the originals which in my case is about 170 per battery.
You can also charge the original Oly batteries in the Expro charger,I found this out by accident while not thinking.Seems to work OK so If you get the twin charger it's possible to charge two at one,very handy.

I'm not sure what your Expo one puts out but the Better Batt charger O/P is 8.4V (open curcuit) while the Olympus charger is 8.7V, so the cheaper chargers are charging at a voltage that should be less of a risk of overheating & hence, considered safe enough to use on all batteries when needed. I personally would prefer that to be only if charging from the car (12V) & still use the Oly charger for the Oly battery, knowing that it will fully charge it to the full capacity.

Loup Garou
4th July 2012, 01:58 PM
I am ashamed to say that after making high & mighty noises about how I would never use another clone battery, I have been forced to succumb to one. When Park Cameras sent me an e-mail telling me that there was going to be a longer delay with the Olympus original, I had to do something. I am going to India with the family next week and need that spare battery - so I ordered and received one from Digital Media Store. They were up-front from the start, admitting that their battery does not charge with the Olympus' BCN-1 charger and included one of their own with the package. So far, the clone works well but I will only use it as a spare and will not be disappointed if it runs out sooner than the original.

jdal
4th July 2012, 02:19 PM
Loup - I can't really tell much difference between my clones and the originals.

I'd take the new one through a couple of full charge/discharge cycles before travelling, mine seem to last longer now than they did originally.

StephenL
4th July 2012, 02:42 PM
If you are using/intending to use the portrait grip, just check that the battery physically fits and can easily be removed. There have been reports of some 3rd party batteries being beyond physical tolerances and consequently too tight for the grip, although my two (unrelated) clones both fit without problems.

Loup Garou
4th July 2012, 03:41 PM
If you are using/intending to use the portrait grip, just check that the battery physically fits and can easily be removed. There have been reports of some 3rd party batteries being beyond physical tolerances and consequently too tight for the grip, although my two (unrelated) clones both fit without problems.

Thanks, but I do not have the grip and am not planning getting one. I want to keep the camera 'small' and find that it handles quite well without the grip.

davidfarquhar
4th July 2012, 04:09 PM
I cancelled 2 orders for the Olympus battery and bought 2x Expro plus the twin charger. SRS sent me a mail asking where I had got batteries from since Olympus UK had told them they would have none until the end of the month

CJJE
4th July 2012, 04:38 PM
I am ashamed to say that after making high & mighty noises about how I would never use another clone battery, I have been forced to succumb to one. When Park Cameras sent me an e-mail telling me that there was going to be a longer delay with the Olympus original, I had to do something. I am going to India with the family next week and need that spare battery - so I ordered and received one from Digital Media Store. They were up-front from the start, admitting that their battery does not charge with the Olympus' BCN-1 charger and included one of their own with the package. So far, the clone works well but I will only use it as a spare and will not be disappointed if it runs out sooner than the original.

I've just used Whois to check the registration details of the Digital Media Store website, and it's registered in Jersey, not Hong Kong or China. It's also been registered for 8 years, so it doesn't look as dodgy as some of the eBay traders.

Domain name:
digitalmediastore.co.uk

Registrant:
Peter Venmore

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
P.O. Box 484
St Helier
Jersey
JE4 5SS
United Kingdom

Registrar:
Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 19-Jul-2004
Expiry date: 19-Jul-2014
Last updated: 11-Apr-2012

Registration status:
Registered until expiry date.

Chris

jdal
4th July 2012, 04:40 PM
Olympus have made a huge mistake here. I wonder how many people who would otherwise never have touched 3rd party batteries have now realised that they're actually OK, and the Oly price is ridiculous - even if you could get one. I'm thinking of cancelling my Oly order as well.

CJJE
4th July 2012, 05:12 PM
Olympus have made a huge mistake here. I wonder how many people who would otherwise never have touched 3rd party batteries have now realised that they're actually OK, and the Oly price is ridiculous - even if you could get one. I'm thinking of cancelling my Oly order as well.

There are two issues here.

1) When Olympus designed the E-M5, they must have used market research to target the ProAm camera enthusiast from its performance and features. But the guys who ordered up the stocks of spare batteries must have been working on the assumption the E-M5 was another consumer camera and so would not attract many orders for second batteries. Overstocking items costs money, so they protected their profits at the expense of antagonising many early adopters and would-be buyers.

2) Japanese camera makers have been adding chips to the batteries for a few years now; for safety reasons they say, but probably also to cut down on the clone market. Of course the higher prices charged for the official items help their profit margins (whether for lens hoods that should be included with the lens, or batteries). But at least a clone lens hood is unlikely to damage the lens. If you fit a cloned battery, you need to be sure that it will not damage the camera itself - and check whether the battery guarantee covers the replacement of the battery or the camera should it get damaged.

Thankfully, I've never found battery life to be a problem with digital cameras as they last out at least a day for me. But for people shooting many hundreds of images a day, I can understand your frustrations.

SteelD
4th July 2012, 05:45 PM
Ordered from here at the weekend and it arrived today from Jersey:

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/battery_chargers/camera_and_camcorder/olympus/Olympus_BLN1_compatible_battery_x2__charger_kit__B AT-OYBLN1BUN2-D

Two batteries and a charger for £29. I ordered from here since I read that the Olympus battery won't be available until August and the ExPro batteries on the ExPro site are no longer listed - presumably they are now out of stock.

davidfarquhar
4th July 2012, 06:19 PM
Ordered from here at the weekend and it arrived today from Jersey:

http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/battery_chargers/camera_and_camcorder/olympus/Olympus_BLN1_compatible_battery_x2__charger_kit__B AT-OYBLN1BUN2-D

Two batteries and a charger for £29. I ordered from here since I read that the Olympus battery won't be available until August and the ExPro batteries on the ExPro site are no longer listed - presumably they are now out of stock.

I ordered from Expro via Amazon.co.uk at 00:15 this morning. Because of the Air Tattoo this weekend I wanted them in a hurry so paid the extra 4 quid for express delivery. At 4:30pm I got a mail saying they will be delivered tomorrow. Top service

Greytop
4th July 2012, 06:22 PM
I ordered from Expro via Amazon.co.uk at 00:15 this morning. Because of the Air Tattoo this weekend I wanted them in a hurry so paid the extra 4 quid for express delivery. At 4:30pm I got a mail saying they will be delivered tomorrow. Top service

Likewise David and the same out come as you too, mine are on schedule to be delivered tomorrow by Interlink Express.

OM USer
4th July 2012, 06:58 PM
As mentioned earlier in the thread I have 2 ExPro batteries (via Amazon) which I ordered when they were listed as being compatible with the Olympus Charger. I had been intending to return them but decided that as the price is very reasonable (£9.97) I would order another 2 and a charger (without which my first 2 were useless). Even if theye are of a lower capacity than the Olympus originals I think 4 batteries will see me through until I can get to a charger.
I ordered yesterday (via Amazon again) as soon as they were back in stock and they shipped today. I should now be ready for any trips out. I expect the batteries to be out of stock again very soon as people are forced to stock up on non OEM versions.

davidfarquhar
4th July 2012, 07:13 PM
One bonus with the Expro is the availability of a twin charger. In a camera where 2-3 batteries is a reasonable day's shooting it will make it much easier to charge up at night

davidfarquhar
7th July 2012, 10:03 PM
To followup my earlier postings, I went to the Air Tattoo in Fairford today. The first Expro battery lasted 320 shots. The second about 490. I can't complain at that, and I think the Olympus battery would have had similar performance. So for £10 each the batteries seem to represent good value

Loup Garou
8th July 2012, 06:34 AM
The first Expro battery lasted 320 shots. The second about 490. I can't complain at that, and I think the Olympus battery would have had similar performance. So for £10 each the batteries seem to represent good value

Unless you changed the JPEG setting between batteries, it might be due to less use of other power-consuming features of the camera with the seond battery.

brian1208
11th July 2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions re: using the ExPro batteries in the EM5.
Mine arrived today, one fit the battery grip perfectly but the other was a tad tight. Careful application of a bit of "wet & dry" removed the excess (fractions of a millimetre) and it now slides in and out as smooth as silk. Both batteries are charged (its a funny little charger isn't it) and the first has had a quick trial along the local harbour-side. All seems well so far.

steverh
11th July 2012, 05:53 PM
I also received my Expro charger and battery today!

The battery seems to charge OK and fits the grip with no problem. Will give it a good bashing at the weekend. If it works out OK I will probably order another battery soon.

Being able to charge batteries in the car is a useful bonus feature.

GRAHAMJ
16th July 2012, 11:30 AM
Received 2 plus the duel charger from Expro via Amazon today......on charge now.

SteelD
16th July 2012, 12:00 PM
I also ordered an Inov8 battery before I ordered my cheapies. It's expensive at about £27 but it's a make stocked by Maplin in their High Street stores so I'm hoping that the quality is going to be reasonable if it's good enough for them. I had a mail from Amazon yesterday saying that the battery had shipped so it will be with me soon.

So, I'll have three spare batteries and I have three 16 Gb SDHC cards. That should be enough for a lot of shooting on a 2 week holiday!

brian1208
16th July 2012, 03:13 PM
I've given both my new batteries a good work out now and they seem to hold charge well. I've just come back from a shoot with 240 images (each saved as JPG + RAW) and the meter still shows more than 50% charge, a fair bit of "Chimping" there as well.

The one I "adjusted" the thickness off continues to be an excellent fit into the grip. So far they look like good value for money

SteelD
16th July 2012, 05:26 PM
When I got home from work, the battery was waiting for me. Like all the other third-party batteries, it doesn't work in the Olympus charger despite claiming to be "100% Compatible with original battery". Luckily, I ordered the charger for the cheaper batteries I already have and it charges in that. The battery comes with a 2 year guarantee and claims to have "Built in safety circuit - preventing battery damage" - I'm more concerned about camera damage!

OM USer
7th August 2012, 03:49 PM
Just had 2 weeks away with 4 ExPro batteries (kept the Olympus in reserve). I used 2 (now on 3rd) and got over 500 hundred shots from each. This was on the second charge for each as I drained both batteries playing with the menu system when I first got them and to check that the camera shows correct battery level.

As no batteries seem to come with a simple plastic tab that you can flip over to indicate full/empty I am using a sheet of sticky green circles - stick one on the top when you charge it, move it to the back when you put it in the camera (so you don't forget to move it when you take the battery out!). That way I can count how many re-charge cycles the battery has going through by counting the sticky circles on the back and see if the number of shots is going up/down.

All 4 batteries fit smoothly into the camera and battery grip.

kentomas
16th August 2012, 03:52 PM
I purchased a couple of ExPro batteries from Amazon.co.uk and, like others, found them a little tight in the HLD-6 - the one only very marginally so and therefore nothing to worry about, but the other quite a fiddle to get out. Wanting some more batteries before I go on holiday, I ordered some from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120947387437?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3506wt_1114 . Unlike many items described as 'UK Stock' these must have been as I ordered them late Monday night and received them in the post this morning (Thursday). They were individually packed in small Jiffy bags. I ordered four and all of them slip in and out of the HLD-6 with great ease. Unlike the ExPro which are rated at 7.2V & 1220mAh, have a legend against three of the terminals and a blue band at the bottom of the larger label, these are rated at 7.4V & 1600mAh, have a legend against all five terminals and no blue band. When I've had time to test them out I'll report back.