PDA

View Full Version : OMD in the rain

The Technician
17th May 2012, 01:50 PM
Has anyone used there's in the rain yet :o I am reluctant just yet as its new and I am still cradling it :D

Zuiko
17th May 2012, 03:13 PM
Oh for goodness sake, Michael, go out and get it wet. Should be plenty of opportunity with our current weather, although it hasn't rained here for two whole days! :D

jamsa
18th May 2012, 03:53 PM
Took a good few pictures yesterday in the rain...images of rain covered leaves etc..its all good as is the camera still :)

Graham_of_Rainham
18th May 2012, 04:26 PM
I wonder how water-resistant the surface coating is *erm

jamsa
18th May 2012, 04:54 PM
I think the EM-5 is a lovely camera but won't compete with the E-5 etc for overall quality... the EM5 is expected to last 100K actuations as opposedtothe 150K for the E-5...so I would guess the same goes for the coating...

Zuiko
18th May 2012, 07:10 PM
Hopefully the coating will wear badly and quickly, prompting some early adopters to sell secondhand at a vastly reduced price........personally I quite like worn cameras, they have character! :D

Mrs T
18th May 2012, 09:38 PM
This guy over on mu-43.com had some fun on the banks of Lake Erie.

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/hardcore-weather-sealing-test-e-m5-12-50-lens-24755/

Amanda

drmarkf
19th May 2012, 08:31 AM
Those images make me shiver!

Seriously, somebody's going to drown their E-M5 before long - it's only relatively weather-sealed and it's no Nikonos - so I suggest we let members of other forums find the limits :)

timg
19th May 2012, 09:24 AM
...or you could just give it a shower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmdo_K1XIE0

cariadus
19th May 2012, 10:45 AM
This guy over on mu-43.com had some fun on the banks of Lake Erie.

Blimey, that was on a lake.

Zuiko
19th May 2012, 01:11 PM
Those images make me shiver!

Seriously, somebody's going to drown their E-M5 before long - it's only relatively weather-sealed and it's no Nikonos - so I suggest we let members of other forums find the limits :)

That lake is like an inland sea so I'm not surprised that waves like that can build up in rough weather. My E-3 survived a similar drenching but with salt water. I just rinsed it under a running tap. But you're right, someone will push it a little too far at some point and completely FUBAR their E-M5. When they do, perhaps they could dismantle it to see if there are any clues as to who actually makes the sensor! :D

drmarkf
19th May 2012, 02:57 PM
Yes, they are called the Great lakes for a reason :)

Back in my E-1 days I had a short holiday walking on the Bruce Peninsula in Ontario before attending a conference in Toronto; this peninsula sticks out in to Lake Huron, and I can fully confirm that Lake Huron behaves just like the Huron Sea.